Interesting to hear that those suffer exactly those problems I was afraid of. Those things aren't really that cheap either, so you'd expect some form of durability...
True, but replacing all 7 ink cartridges in my former Epson with "high capacity" new ones would probably also set me back about $200~$250 and would probably yield less than 1/4rd of the pages what my color laser would be able to achieve on a set of fresh toners. The other thing you need to factor in is the photoconductor/drum unit, which also needs replacement after about 7 to 10 toner changes on average, but even with those costs factored in, laser will still win for me.
But yeah, replacing all the toners in your average color laser is quite an expensive hobby. That's why I keep a B&W printer around, a new toner for that machine is more like $75 and I can print a few thousand pages with it. It will also not magically drain your color toners when printing black and white, because it's printing some nefarious invisible watermarks with other colors. Most stuff I print doesn't need color anyway, so it's a great way of keeping printing costs down. The B&W printer also was comparably cheap and had a duplex (2-sided) option, that saves a lot of paper.
To me, it looks like Epson really has a printer-head clogging problem. While I had plenty of issues with HP and most other cheap inkjet printers, the printer head clogging problem seems to be an Epson hallmark.
True, but replacing all 7 ink cartridges in my former Epson with "high capacity" new ones would probably also set me back about $200~$250 and would probably yield less than 1/4rd of the pages what my color laser would be able to achieve on a set of fresh toners. The other thing you need to factor in is the photoconductor/drum unit, which also needs replacement after about 7 to 10 toner changes on average, but even with those costs factored in, laser will still win for me.
But yeah, replacing all the toners in your average color laser is quite an expensive hobby. That's why I keep a B&W printer around, a new toner for that machine is more like $75 and I can print a few thousand pages with it. It will also not magically drain your color toners when printing black and white, because it's printing some nefarious invisible watermarks with other colors. Most stuff I print doesn't need color anyway, so it's a great way of keeping printing costs down. The B&W printer also was comparably cheap and had a duplex (2-sided) option, that saves a lot of paper.
To me, it looks like Epson really has a printer-head clogging problem. While I had plenty of issues with HP and most other cheap inkjet printers, the printer head clogging problem seems to be an Epson hallmark.
Comment