Oscars ceremony will be streamed on YouTube exclusively starting in 2029

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #1

    Oscars ceremony will be streamed on YouTube exclusively starting in 2029

    The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has inked a deal with YouTube that will give the video-streaming platform exclusive rights to broadcast the Oscars beginning in 2029, until 2033.


    Oscars ceremony will be streamed on YouTube exclusively starting in 2029

    The deal between the academy and YouTube was announced on Wednesday

    ​The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has inked a deal with YouTube that will give the video-streaming platform exclusive rights to broadcast the Oscars beginning in 2029, until 2033.
    The deal will make the Oscars available to more than two billion viewers worldwide and to YouTube TV subscribers in the U.S., according to a news statement.
    It includes streaming rights to behind-the-scenes content and red carpet coverage, as well as other academy events, like the Governors Awards and Oscars nominee announcements, which will be available on the Oscars YouTube channel.
    "The academy is an international organization, and this partnership will allow us to expand access to the work of the academy to the largest worldwide audience possible,” said president Lynette Howell Taylor and CEO Bill Kramer.
    "We will be able to celebrate cinema, inspire new generations of filmmakers and provide access to our film history on an unprecedented global scale."
    The Disney ABC broadcast of the Oscars will continue until 2028 — the 100th iteration of the awards — as will the academy's international partnership with Disney’s Buena Vista International.​
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #2
    YouTube (Google) is the biggest of the big Monopolies. More hours are spent looking at that one than all of the other streamers. It has huge content and has already plucked away much of the "reality" content that streamers or linear tv once had. It also has a full TV element to it as well as streaming movies. It also tends to have a take-it or leave-it attitude with its content creators (which I'm sure get to help Google's AI) with little to know explanations or recourse.

    Comment

    • Frank Angel
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 277
      • Brooklyn, NY

      #3
      Yup, seems like broadcast TV...you know, the OTA TV that doesn't need a cable but you get just by sticking a wire out the window, THAT medium is about the same as brick and mortar movie theatres are now, if not has-beens, then pretty much old-school irrelevant to the way most people experience content. Netflix releases films to theatres just so they can be considered for Oscar nominations, basically saying, if it weren't for the prestige of an Oscar win, we see no need for you and your silly stature all. And the fact is, most people consume what used to be Motion Picture content, the vast majority of it on streaming platforms. That quaint romantic that I used to believe and would loudly espouse to anyone who would listen, that there is something incredibly powerful about experiencing a movie with an audience, has been seriously tarnished for quite some time now; if I am going to honest.

      I just went to see HAMNET and realized, I really would have rather seen it in my living room. The theatre offered me nothing better in the way of an experience. What? sitting with people who were yapping most of the time, or munching on what's now turned into full fast-food menus, or using the cellphone...this is something that adds to my beautiful "communal experience"? I gotta tell ya, I get much more rewarding at home; I have friends over all the time for movie nights and they don't talk or use cellphones or eat whole freaking fast-food meals during the movies. So as much as I lament movie-going becoming irrelevant as to how most motion picture content is experienced. -- and lord knows, for decades I would proclaim in our newsletter *Scope, that seeing a movie in our theatre was like nothing that could be found at home. Of course back when, most homes had 27in TVs with mono sound coming from a 5in speaker. I even suggested that coming to see a movie in our magnificent, 2500 seat, art deco movie palace was better than seeing the same film even at those other utilitarian, shoebox size multiplex theatres with no curtains or masking that were prevalent in Brooklyn in the 70s and 80s when most weren't new builds but single screens turned into those tortured abominations. Any idea how painful it was to see the incredibly gorgeously detailed and ornate original proscenium of the RKO Keiths movie palace jutting out from behind one of the three "cinemas," painted over with flat black paint, as it never existed? You know how Shakespeare's wife Agnes (Anne Hathaway) screamed during child labor? Like that.

      Anyway, while everyone of us who worked in real theatres will fight to keep the concept of a "movie theatre" as being the pinnacle of the place (at one time, the ONLY) place) a motion pictures can be experienced the way the moviemaker intended, we have to admit that the Universe today seems to have a different plan. Same with Over The Air TV -- if it is not broadcast by electromagnetic wave energy that you can pick up for FREE with an antenna -- you can't really call it Television. By far, the way the majority of the world's population will experience what we traditionally call movies, some will be on a 65 in displays and Atmos sound and some on a 6 inch cellphone screen (hopefully the idiots will at least turn it sideways). And Netflix and Youtube (Google) and Apple, et al, will vie to create the content and in the case of Netflix, gobble up what's left of traditional movie studios; of course they will stream the "Oscars" leaving OTA, brick and mortar Broadcast stations simply for "legacy" purposes...buying Warner Bros. and letting cinemas show their movies for a week for Oscar "legacy" purposes? Inevitable.

      I talk to young people, incoming freshmen in college, who look with blank stares...they don't understand the concept of OTA broadcast TV. I tell them it needs no cable connection and it is FREE. They understand radio better than broadcast TV for some reason. I tell them to go to the back of their Flat Panel Digital Displays and look for stubby little nipple with threads in it and a small hole in the center. That's for an antenna...the antenna to pick up movies and shows, just like you see via your cable or internet. That connector might even have the letters ANT next to it, or an inverted triangle -- that's an emoji for "antenna;" their eyes light up when I say emoji -- they understand that. Hook-up an antenna to it (it might cost you $10 for one) and a lot of what you PAY to see on Hulu and Peacock and Fox and Paramount+ and PBS, you can get for FREE. I am sure there will come a time when Flat Panel Digital Displays will just eliminate that F connector entirely.

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #4
        I’m in that crossover generation that was the first to “cable cut” and experiment with streaming as the primary source of “TV”, however many of us still wanted local OTA stations and were quick to re-implement antennas. But then again, we were also old enough to remember growing up with antennas.

        We are also the ones that will utilize still existing family member cable login to get access to broadcast content on the internet, as well as shared all our streaming service logins long before there were concepts of family plans.

        Comment

        • Harold Hallikainen
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1072
          • Tucson AZ

          #5
          "I am sure there will come a time when Flat Panel Digital Displays will just eliminate that F connector entirely."

          Those tuners cost money. Something with only an HDMI input does not need to comply with the FCC digital tuner mandate.

          Television stations are making a lot of money by charging cable companies for retransmission rights. But people are cancelling cable, so this income will go away.

          OTA television is transitioning to another digital transmission standard. I suspect that most people will transition completely to streaming and away from OTA television.

          We DO have an outside TV antenna and watch one hour of OTA a week (60 Minutes). The rest is streaming, typically an hour a night of some series on Netflix or Amazon.

          We DO see a movie in a theater most weeks, sometimes two.

          Comment

          • Mike Blakesley
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 2021
            • Forsyth MT

            #6
            I ran "The Polar Express" today for an audience of middle school kids.

            I don't care what kind of system most people have in their house, there is NO WAY that a home system would duplicate the impact of seeing / hearing that train come in for the first time in that movie. Or the emotion of the ending with all that great music, too.

            Sure, if you have a $40,000 dedicated "home theater" then maybe. But you're still sitting in a 20x20' room and looking at a dinky screen compared to a movie theater.

            Also, about the alleged "constant interruptions" you get at a movie theater. I would bet that the number of times people watch a movie at home without a series of interruptions from kids, phones, bathroom breaks, company, or just drifting off to sleep, is smaller than most poeple would admit.

            But the average Joe these days does not care about any of that. Their main criteria seems to be "can I see it?" and "can I hear it?" If the answer is yes to those two, they're good to go.

            I guess if the Oscars want to be on YouTube, what's the difference? Most people can watch YouTube on their TV anyway. It's just like another station.

            Comment

            • Leo Enticknap
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3572
              • Loma Linda, CA

              #7
              Originally posted by Frank Angel
              I am sure there will come a time when Flat Panel Digital Displays will just eliminate that F connector entirely.
              I have a nice FM tuner gathering dust in the garage since I arrived in California from England in 2012. The reason it's gathering dust is because, being of UK manufacture, its antenna jack is a Belling and Lee connector, which, as far as I can tell, are simply not used here in the US for anything. I've made half hearted attempts over the years to find a Belling and Lee to F-plug adapter, but without success. I fear that FM radio might have bitten the dust by the time I finally get around to solving that problem!

              Comment

              • Frank Cox
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 2314
                • Melville Saskatchewan

                #8
                Nickel plated; 50Ω impedence. Male PAL TV aerial plug (Belling-Lee/IEC 61169-2) to female F-connector. Can be used to attach F-connector antennas (North American standard TV antennas) to our PAL-connected SDR devices.

                Comment

                • Jim Cassedy
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1450
                  • San Francisco

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Leo Enticknap

                  I have a nice FM tuner gathering dust in the garage since I arrived in
                  California from England in 2012. The reason it's gathering dust is
                  because, being of UK manufacture, its antenna jack is a
                  I'm pretty sure I had a connector like that, or very close to it, on the AM/FM
                  radios in a couple of the cars I've owned. The auto version isn't as nicely
                  made as the one in the link of your post, but they had the same form-factor
                  of being basically a 'pin-jack'. A couple of the better stereo systems I owned
                  in the '70's had F-connectors for an antenna connection, but most had a pair
                  of binding post-like connectors on the back to which many of us connected
                  dipole FM antennas made from a T-shaped piece of 300 twin lead, which is
                  another archaic reference to those who did not grow up in the OTA TV era.
                  Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 12-18-2025, 09:57 AM.

                  Comment

                  • Josh Jones
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Feb 2024
                    • 153
                    • McKinney, TX

                    #10
                    Denon FM tuners from the 90's and 2000's used a weird push-on F equivalent connector that we used to have issues with. Around 2003 we started adding RDS to our stations, and the Denon TU-1500RD's were the only tuners we could find that had RDS in those days. Now it's in most cars.

                    I grew up with cable, but never had the desire to pay for it once I left the house. My grandparents out in the country had OTA long haul TV reception, and remember watching the olympics through the snow, as well as the simpsons. Today there is still a corner reflector on the mast in the backyard feeding a DA and splitter for the house. I'll spin around OTA at bedtime to unwind, but the only time I really watch anything is when bad weather rolls into town. The 4K projector in the screening room has OTA and satellite capability.

                    The take-it-or-leave-it mentality seems to be running amuck through silicon valley companies. Roku is forever banned from the house following their last TOS update. Too bad too, as I did like watching guys fix plumbing and air conditioning to wind down at bedtime. I just haven't found the ambition yet to throw a small PC in there with adblock.
                    Last edited by Josh Jones; 12-18-2025, 12:51 PM.

                    Comment

                    • James Biggins
                      Film Handler
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 55
                      • Leicester, U.K.

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Leo Enticknap

                      I have a nice FM tuner gathering dust in the garage since I arrived in California from England in 2012. The reason it's gathering dust is because, being of UK manufacture, its antenna jack is a Belling and Lee connector, which, as far as I can tell, are simply not used here in the US for anything. I've made half hearted attempts over the years to find a Belling and Lee to F-plug adapter, but without success.
                      Readily available on Amazon UK.

                      Comment

                      • Leo Enticknap
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 3572
                        • Loma Linda, CA

                        #12
                        When I wrote "half hearted," I meant it! I'd semi-forgotten about the tuner until reading the mention of F-plugs above, and which reignited my curiosity as to why some models of connector are globally universal (e.g. XLR or D-Sub) whereas others are or were territory or region-specific (e.g. Belling and Lee or SCART). I see that Amazon US now has one as well, albeit for $25. The vendor Frank found is far more reasonable - will order one and see if the thing still works; thanks!

                        Comment

                        • Mark Gulbrandsen
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 3093
                          • Nashville, TN

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                          When I wrote "half hearted," I meant it! I'd semi-forgotten about the tuner until reading the mention of F-plugs above, and which reignited my curiosity as to why some models of connector are globally universal (e.g. XLR or D-Sub) whereas others are or were territory or region-specific (e.g. Belling and Lee or SCART). I see that Amazon US now has one as well, albeit for $25. The vendor Frank found is far more reasonable - will order one and see if the thing still works; thanks!
                          There are also key technical differences between the US and British FM bands that may not allow your tuner to work here. It is mostly to do with the way the channel spacing is done, even vs odd. Some tuners have a switch that lets you select which standard, but most do not. So you may want to open it up and check for that switch first. The present tuner I use does have the switch, but it's a crappy tuner anyway... about as crappy as all the commercial laden stations we have here in Nashville.

                          Comment

                          • Harold Hallikainen
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 1072
                            • Tucson AZ

                            #14
                            Also, the UK and Europe use 50 us preemphasis, while the US uses 75 us. This will result in a difference in high frequency response.

                            Comment

                            • Joe Redifer
                              Film Handler
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 50
                              • Denver, CO

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Mike Blakesley

                              I don't care what kind of system most people have in their house, there is NO WAY that a home system would duplicate the impact of seeing / hearing that train come in for the first time in that movie. Or the emotion of the ending with all that great music, too.
                              Don't forget about the creepy-ass dead eyes! They're just not as creepy and disturbing at home.

                              Comment

                              Working...