Physical media's comeback

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ed Gordon
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 365
    • Seattle, WA, USA

    #1

    Physical media's comeback

    “Subscription fatigue,” frustration with streaming content changes, and a desire to collect rare finds are all boosting old-school physical media.
    Listen: https://www.marketplace.org/episode/...edias-comeback

    Transcript:

    This story originally aired on “Marketplace” on February 17th, 2026.

    The trio of 20-somethings who were happily sifting through DVD titles along the crowded shelves of Los Angeles’ popular video rental store Vidiots were quick to point out that videotapes and DVDs are not just relics from the childhoods of older generations.

    “We grew up watching DVDs. I think it was still definitely within our generation,” said Fay Vavra, who was perusing the anime aisle with Isabelle Torres and Danielle Rathbun.

    The trio reminisced about watching Disney films on VHS and visiting Hollywood Video, the now-defunct competitor to Blockbuster.

    They say Vidiots allows them to reduce their streaming subscriptions, while still having access to lots of content. The video store charges $3 for a five-day rental.

    A survey from Consumer Reports found that nearly half of us are still watching DVDs and Blu-rays, while 15% of those surveyed are still playing and rewinding VHS tapes.

    Physical video is having its vinyl moment. (LPs, by the way, now outsell CDs.)

    “It's probably really a mix of emotional, practical, and cultural reasons that we're seeing this sort of renewed fondness for older technologies,” said James Willcox, senior electronics editor at Consumer Reports, who conceived of the survey.

    Among the practical reasons is the reality that sometimes even content people purchase on a streaming service can disappear. In fact, Amazon was sued over that practice last year, and California passed a law trying to address the problem.

    “Sometimes they don't renew the licenses for content,” Willcox explained. “With physical media, you own that, and so you know it's always going to be there. And I think that there's an uncertainty with streaming as to whether or not you're going to have access to that stuff.”

    To be sure, the big money is not in physical media. The streaming business totals about $50 billion in annual revenues, compared to about $1 billion for newly-released physical media.

    But the trendline, which can be measured for new releases at least, shows that physical media is getting more attention. Sales are increasing for high-definition Blu-ray Discs.

    “The streaming services have kind of pushed their customers away,” says Vidiots’ video store director Robbie McCluskey.

    “People have become disillusioned that if you want to watch like a handful of movies, you have to have subscriptions to like 12 different places.”

    The physical stores hope to become an increasingly popular antidote to digital overload.

    Vidiots’ trajectory traces physical video’s demise and resurgence.

    It originally opened in 1985 as a for-profit video store — the same year that Blockbuster debuted. Vidiots closed a few years after Blockbuster went bankrupt, only to reopen in a cheaper location in 2023 as a popularity among Hollywood celebrities, hipsters, and everyday viewers alike.

    “My first day: I got a phone call from Christian Bale. He was doing research on playing Moses for Ridley Scott. So he was like, ‘Give me everything that has Moses in it,’” McCluskey recounted. “And then later that day, Keanu Reeves was driving his motorcycle, stopped in to grab a couple movies. So, it was a really fun place to work.”

    By the time Vidiots closed, McCluskey said it was renting at most a few hundred DVDs and Blu-rays a week. But since it reopened, its popularity has surged. It now rents more than 1,000 items a week, he said.

    “It’s been two and a half years now, every month we have more rentals than the month before,” he said. “The desire for physical media has really brought people back in a big way.”

    Across town, the for-profit Cinefile Video — strategically located next to an independent movie theater — is also experiencing more business.

    “What we've seen is folks with a lot of fatigue with the streaming services, either with price increases or, you know, things going in and out of rights,” said Cinefile owner Sebastian Mathews, who also used to own a vinyl record shop.

    Collectors make up a growing portion of Mathews’ customer base. They are purchasing — not just renting — rare or obscure titles that cannot be found on streaming or that might be on a streaming service temporarily, then disappear.

    North Carolina-based Lunchmeat VHS, meanwhile, specializes mostly in B-movies that will never appear on a streaming service. These are movies that were originally shot on videotape — a subgenre that owner Josh Schafer said should continue to be enjoyed in its original format.

    Schafer, who also publishes an occasional magazine of the same, buys the rights to these otherwise forgotten films, such as 1984’s “Splatter University,” and produces reprints that he sells on his e-commerce website.

    “This is stuff that's not on disc officially anywhere … stuff that was shot on videotape, beta, VHS, quarter-inch [tape],” he said. “It was a huge part of our society.”
    ​
  • Mark Ogden
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 178
    • Little Falls, NJ

    #2
    It's a well-worn saying, but worth repeating: when it comes to download media, you are never purchasing something. At best, it's a long-term rental. I found this out recently when twenty years of music that I purchased on iTunes went missing, and nobody from Apple's support forum could explain it. I don't keep everything I purchase in my library all the time, but when I go to re-download albums that I "purchased" years ago, there is no record of it, and if I want to have it again, I have to buy it again. It's like somebody at Apple hit a reset button somewhere. I suppose that's what I get for not backing up my purchase, but still.

    Same thing for movies that I have bought on Amazon Prime. Vanished. The moral, I guess, is to never assume that something you purchase for download on-line is going to be there forever.

    Comment

    • Frank Cox
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 2314
      • Melville Saskatchewan

      #3
      All of my important files live on my computers, the machines in front of me.

      I don't understand why anyone would do things any differently.

      Comment

      • Bobby Henderson
        Expert Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 925
        • Lawton, Oklahoma

        #4
        I rarely buy movies anymore, but if I do I will still buy them on physical media (Blu-ray). I haven't gotten into buying digital downloads of movies.

        The same goes for music; I buy it on CD. Then I'll use Adobe Audition to rip the audio data and save the LPCM WAV files onto an external hard disc. The WAV files can be used to make copies in FLAC Lossless or high bitrate MP3. I'll play the FLAC or MP3 files on my smart phone or in my truck (via a solid state hard drive plugged into a USB port). You can't add metadata like album cover art and other stuff to LPCM WAV files. FLAC and MP3 allow that sort of thing.

        Even though I prefer buying music on CD I still don't like how modern discs are mastered. Audio engineers just go overboard with all the damned compressor-limiter tricks. They literally "brick wall" the damned audio dynamics. In a way that makes it a little more difficult to tell the difference between audio in an uncompressed LPCM WAV file versus a lossy MP3 file. The brick-walling tactics can harm the audio quality. It might sound alright on some ear buds. It's not going to be so good when played on a quality stereo system.

        Comment

        • Randy Stankey
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1388
          • Erie, PA, USA

          #5
          Physical Media Comeback? Lost Film Found?

          Anybody?

          Comment

          • Leo Enticknap
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3572
            • Loma Linda, CA

            #6
            We probably aren't going to have too many "barn find" film stories like this one, Beyond the Rocks, etc. going forward, if the master preservation element is now a bunch of files sitting on some cloud server somewhere. Forget nitrate kabooms and vinegar syndrome: as soon as the studio bosses decide that it isn't worth it (as in, the revenue generated by those legacy assets doesn't justify the cost of preserving them) to pay the monthly fee for all those terabytes anymore, the delete button is clicked, and that's that.

            Comment

            • Mike Blakesley
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 2021
              • Forsyth MT

              #7
              Physical video is having its vinyl moment. (LPs, by the way, now outsell CDs.)

              “It's probably really a mix of emotional, practical, and cultural reasons that we're seeing this sort of renewed fondness for older technologies,” said James Willcox​
              I think it's a mix of not feeling ripped off, enjoying playing something through without ads, not having signal drops or random errors, and seeing something in the format it was originally shot. (I'm looking at you, Netflix with the Seinfeld shows.)

              Comment

              • Josh Jones
                Pro Film Handler
                • Feb 2024
                • 153
                • McKinney, TX

                #8
                Originally posted by Mike Blakesley

                I think it's a mix of not feeling ripped off, enjoying playing something through without ads, not having signal drops or random errors, and seeing something in the format it was originally shot. (I'm looking at you, Netflix with the Seinfeld shows.)
                To be fair, NBC shot a lot of its larger budget sitcoms in 3 perf 35mm, Seinfeld included. Simply rescanning the shots in 2K restores the widescreen aspect of the show as originally captured. I don't have a problem with that. What I do have an issue with is simply cropping shots to make something fit modern widescreen TV's without any thought to original composition.

                I've never paid for cable or any streaming services, which I see as a waste of money. I watch over-the-air TV a few hours a week, but most of my other entertainment comes of disc or film. I was brought up on the doorstep of the internet age. I found neat streaming stations from all over the globe to listen to, and lots of cool music in toe. Then pay-to-play screwed up many things. There are still a lot of good streaming stations to listen to fortunately.

                Comment

                • Marcel Birgelen
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3619
                  • Maastricht, NL

                  #9
                  I personally believe that this newly found love for vinyl is just a hipster grift. It's hip to play vinyl on overly expensive, complicated but still often rather crappy gear. Meanwhile, those newly printed vinyl records are made from digital masters. We already have a ton of formats, far superior to vinyl and CD is just one of them, but a simple USB stick with lossless audio files would equally do.

                  The reason I still buy BluRays is because I want to get my hands on the highest quality copy available and for movies, that's currently still 4K BluRays. I also rip those things as soon as possible, because those things are encrypted, the number of devices in existence that do have keys and can play those are diminishing and CD-rot is a thing... And since I bought a legal copy, I'm entitled to do so, at least in the country I currently live in.

                  Comment

                  • Frank Angel
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 277
                    • Brooklyn, NY

                    #10
                    If I've said it before, I'll say it again: If you are not holding it in your fat little fingers, YOU DONT HAVE IT! You think that because Netflix, Apple, Prime. et al, are streaming your favorite "obscure film" today, means they will be streaming it tomorrow? Hahaha.

                    Comment

                    • Ryan Gallagher
                      Film God
                      • Nov 2022
                      • 2855
                      • Austin, Texas, USA

                      #11
                      I'm in hybrid territory with Music. If it is something I want to own (reserved for favorite artists) I try to buy an LP with both streaming and downloading access, but that is a relatively recent phenomenon for me of the last 10 years... I was all digital/download for eons, CDs prior to that. Bandcamp is the most consistent source for that LP+Digital with streaming rights combination.

                      I just like the physical objects of LPs and their large cover art. Album art is a under-appreciated collaboration with music. I don't hang any on the wall but plenty of people do.

                      But I pay for Spotify for general discovery/listening too. Really only started paying for it when building custom walkin playlists for films became a routine activity for me. I do all my curation on a personal account so those fun playlists don't go poof by another employee mucking around... and just import as needed to our work accounts.

                      I do plenty of discovery/listening on Youtube too, but my curation efforts are a bit messier there. Just a few big playlists I dumped liked stuff into (that often vanishes and becomes unavailable).

                      Comment

                      • Frank Angel
                        Pro Film Handler
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 277
                        • Brooklyn, NY

                        #12
                        Marcel, friend of mine, who I certainly won't call a "hipster," does have a turntable setup and while he never will gets into a those esoteric discussions about what format is "better" than another, he will wax poetic about the immense satisfaction he gets from the whole ritual of playing a vinyl record -- the whole tactile feel of the record -- you feel it. It's in ones hands....carefully removing it from the jacket and protection sleeve, cleaning it -- which, he says in-and-off-itself feels like it connects him physically to the process. He says he gets great satisfaction just from taking in the artwork, reading the liner notes and then of course there is placing the record on the spinning turntable, dropping the needed, even hearing the unique and unmistakable "thump and swoosh" of that silent lead-in groove that lets you know the process has begun -- there is nothing else like the satisfying, warm sound. For those who derive real satisfaction from that whole metaphysical connection with the medium, far be it from me to poo-poo it. I have to believe they are not fabricating that enjoyment they obviously get to somehow promote one fomat over another, but because it somehow has real added value that other formats don't provide. And as someone once pointed out to me long ago when I said, "but it's all in his head." I was told, "Yeah, but so what? EVERYTHING is all in our heads."
                        Last edited by Frank Angel; 03-05-2026, 09:33 AM. Reason: To add Add Marcel's quote, about which I was commenting but quote thing won't work after the fact.

                        Comment

                        • Frank Angel
                          Pro Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 277
                          • Brooklyn, NY

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen
                          ....I want to get my hands on the highest quality copy available and for movies, that's currently still 4K BluRays. I also rip those things as soon as possible, because those things are encrypted, the number of devices in existence that do have keys and can play those are diminishing and CD-rot is a thing... And since I bought a legal copy, I'm entitled to do so, at least in the country I currently live in.
                          Seems like the content owners have long lost sight of that fact -- that you PURCHASED their product LEGALLY. I highly resent being reminded every time I want to play a DVD or BluRay and have to sit thru a non-skippable FBI frame before the movie will play that warns me I better not be a thief. I am NOT effers; I BOUGHT this DVD.

                          I remember years ago when you would purchase software on floppy drives, there would ALWAYS be instructions that started say, First thing you need to do is MAKE A BACKUP COPY. You don't see THAT instruction anymore! In fact, very early on, when LaserDiscs first came on the market, the industry (mostly, I believe, it was Universal/DiscoVision) went to court to try to make it illegal to make a copy of a LaserDiscs; the argument they presented was that unlike the easily damaged and corruptible floppy discs, the LaserDisc was so impervious to damage or degradation, that there would never be any need for the secondary owner to make a "protection" copy of it. Lawyers actually said this out loud in a court about the rottable, layers-falling-apart LASERDISC!

                          Comment

                          • Frank Cox
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 2314
                            • Melville Saskatchewan

                            #14
                            I remember years ago when you would purchase software on floppy drives, there would ALWAYS be instructions that started say, First thing you need to do is MAKE A BACKUP COPY.
                            How about no.

                            Here is a paragraph from a user manual I have handy: "The Chessmaster 2000 has been copy-protected. Back-up disks are available through the Software Tool-works.Send $5.00 and proof of purchase."
                            ​

                            Most software didn't even bother with that. If your purchased copy-protected disk was buggered then you were just outta luck. Buy another one.

                            There was a huge amount of research and effort that went into making floppy disks uncopyable. And there was a whole sub-industry devoted to creating cracks for commercial games. On the Commodore 64, Kracker Jax sold disks of patch files to remove the copy protection from several games, and there were other programs such as Shotgun and Turbo Nibbler that were designed to copy non-standard disk layouts that were used as copy protection methods.

                            Amusingly, most of the cracker software was itself copy protected. A "nibbler" generally couldn't copy itself, so various people took that as a challenge. Cracker program X would then brag that they could copy cracker program Y.

                            Copy protection occasionally backfired in a fairly spectacular fashion. "In the Atari 8bit version of Ultima IV one of the floppy disks had an unformatted track. In its absence the player would lose on every fight, which would not be obvious as a copy protection effect right away as one could assume that this was just due to either lack of experience or proper equipment. The protection mechanism was subtle enough to be overlooked by the German distributor that originally delivered Atari 8bit packages with floppies that were formatted regularly, and thus these paid copies acted like unlicensed copies, causing players to lose every battle.​" (This quote is from Wikipedia; I remembered the incident but had to look up the specifics.)

                            On the C64 (which is what I'm most familiar with) a lot of these copy protection schemes relied on reprogramming the Commodore 1541 disk drive, which was really a computer in its own right. This was (and still is, for people like me) an interesting field of study as well. They used half-tracking and even quarter-tracking schemes, which required a perfectly aligned read head in your disk drive to work. On the other end, since a standard Commodore floppy disk is 35 tracks, some copy protection schemes would write data all the way out to track 40. This would beat the hell out of your floppy drive since it would be constantly trying to realign itself when reading past track 35. There was a kind of a cottage industry that sprung up to realign read heads on Commodore disk drives.

                            Comment

                            • Frank Cox
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 2314
                              • Melville Saskatchewan

                              #15
                              It occurs to me to add, as a nifty little afterthought that some of you folks may find interesting, that the C64/C128 Microsoft Multiplan 1.07 was so well copy protected that it was effectively uncopyable until someone figured it out in 2019.

                              Since version 1.07 was released in 1985, the copy protection scheme was effective for 34 years.

                              Comment

                              Working...