2026 Oscar Winners

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mike Blakesley
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2021
    • Forsyth MT

    #1

    2026 Oscar Winners

    Here is a list of the Oscar winners for this year.

    Sadly, we did not play any of these movies except "Avatar: Fire and Ash," and "F1."
    • Best Picture — One Battle after Another
    • Actor in a Leading Role — Michael B. Jordan, Sinners
    • Actress in a Leading Role — Jessie Buckley, Hamnet
    • Actor in a Supporting Role — Sean Penn, One Battle after Another
    • Actress in a Supporting Role — Amy Madigan, Weapons
    • Directing — Paul Thomas Anderson, One Battle after Another
    • Writing (Original Screenplay) — Sinners, written by Ryan Coogler
    • Writing (Adapted Screenplay) — One Battle after Another, written by Paul Thomas Anderson
    • Animated Feature Film — KPop Demon Hunters
    • Animated Short Film — The Girl Who Cried Pearls
    • International Feature Film — Sentimental Value (Norway)
    • Documentary Feature Film — Mr. Nobody against Putin
    • Documentary Short Film — All the Empty Rooms
    • Live Action Short Film — The Singers and Two People Exchanging Saliva
    • Casting — One Battle after Another
    • Cinematography — Sinners
    • Costume Design — Frankenstein
    • Film Editing — One Battle after Another
    • Makeup and Hairstyling — Frankenstein
    • Production Design — Frankenstein
    • Sound — F1
    • Visual Effects — Avatar: Fire and Ash
    • Music (Original Score) — Sinners — Ludwig Göransson
    • Music (Original Song) — “Golden” from KPop Demon Hunters
    ​
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #2
    I played One Battle after Another, F1, Sinners, Weapons and Avatar.

    I quite enjoyed F1, Sinners and Weapons, Avatar was ok, but One Battle after Another was the most dragged-out and just plain boring movie I played here all year. I never got interested in the story at all. And almost nobody here came to see it either.

    Comment

    • Leo Enticknap
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3572
      • Loma Linda, CA

      #3
      I find it interesting that in the previous 25 years I've been on F-T, the Oscars thread has usually been started at least a couple of days before the event, and has included speculation as to the results and a certain level of anticipation/engagement. This year, nothing until a day after. I fear that this reflects a wider decline in public interest in the event as a whole. Once again, the best picture winner (and most of the others, for that matter) was a polemical political rant, guaranteed to alienate half the potential mainstream audience out of the gate, and risking a "dragged out and just plain boring" reaction from a good proportion of those who are either empathetic to the film's message, or prepared to approach it with an open mind.

      Comment

      • Marcel Birgelen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3619
        • Maastricht, NL

        #4
        I remember posting the nominations and results over here a few times... couldn't really find the energy this year, didn't watch the show, actually didn't even care, even though I've seen a lot of movies on the nomination list.

        The thing about politics is: you SHOULD be able to criticize it without the world throwing a hissy-fit... You actually SHOULD make a lot of fun of it all the time, because that's the only way to keep those morons in check. Around here, EVERYBODY makes fun of our politicians, no matter who he/she is or what party he/she is from. I know literally nobody who will ever plant a poster with their favorite candidate in their garden, unless maybe it's direct family or a party colleague of the guy/girl running for office. You generally don't associate with political parties, at least not at that level, because doing so is almost considered fascist.

        U.S. politics have become sick, so sick, it's beyond terminal. I can't barely watch it anymore, no matter what side it is coming from. The current guy rotting away and sleeping live on camera, could literally have escaped from the insane asylum, like the Joker, lighting the world on fire, replacing the previous guy who went back from the retirement home they found him at... Meanwhile, U.S. media has become one sick big puking pile of propaganda. Everything is about politics now... It's sick, it's utterly stupid and it's this why nobody cares anymore.

        The U.S. used to export their culture around the world. People wanted to come to the U.S. from far and away, it was not just the role model for all "Western Countries" but silently also for those countries that weren't so lucky to be free from oppression. The last 25 years of oppressive politics have lost the U.S. that position and that's also why NOBODY cares anymore about modern U.S. culture. Nobody cares about Hollywood, nobody gives a damn about the Oscars. I'm pretty sure, by now more people watch the Golden Rooster Awards from China than the Oscars...

        Sorry again for the rant, but it's hard to ignore if all you see 24/7 IS about politics...

        And about the Oscars: I agree with Leo, leave your fucking politics at home. It's a show that should celebrate movies, movie makers and the industry.
        ​

        Originally posted by Frank Cox
        I played One Battle after Another, F1, Sinners, Weapons and Avatar.

        I quite enjoyed F1, Sinners and Weapons, Avatar was ok, but One Battle after Another was the most dragged-out and just plain boring movie I played here all year. I never got interested in the story at all. And almost nobody here came to see it either.
        I've watched One Battle after Another and I remember I actually liked it. The thing is, if you ask me now what it was about, I really have to scramble... I even rewatched the trailer just a few moments ago and although I'm certain I've seen that movie, I didn't remember seeing the scenes in the trailer... Maybe I was abducted by Aliens and put back on the wrong Earth, that what it currently feels like anyway.

        Comment

        • Frank Angel
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 277
          • Brooklyn, NY

          #5
          I am just three weeks out of the hospital and PT recovery from a heart attach and two strokes and I am 84 years old....for me, evidently the bloom has gone off that rose because I fell asleep about 15 - 20 minutes into it. Not sure I agree that Costume Design should be an added category -- if costume design, why not set design. Hey I have a friend Allan Meyerson who is one of the top music score recording engineers and we have argued over the years THAT should be a catagory certainly as much as Sound Mixer, but where does THAT road end?

          I saw HAMNET in a theatre that served food so I never saw the opening statement that exdplained that "Hamnet" and "Hamlet" are interchangeable -- there was a waiter's fat ass in my face for the opening credits. It would have been good to know that information rather that have it bothering me in the back of my mind throughout the film. Then, I also kept thinking "Damn, we should have picked a screening that was running it with subtitles. In our party of 4, every five minutes, everyone was asking, "What did they say?" Not sure if it was the theatre sound system or the accents or my old man ears, but closed captions would have been a plus with that title! Not sure if it was their marketing campaign or just the subject matter, but nothing about ONE BATTLE AFTER ANOTHER interested me. Not sure if even does now -- getting Best Picture seems not to add value to it for me at all. .

          Comment

          • Bobby Henderson
            Expert Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 925
            • Lawton, Oklahoma

            #6
            I didn't get to watch the Oscars telecast. The company that owns our local ABC station (Gray Media) pulled the channel from Dish Network due to a dispute over retransmission fees. I guess I'm going to have to finally get rid of Dish and maybe just install a new off-air antenna -unless I cave and get something like YouTube TV.

            There's a good chance I may not have watched much of the telecast even if the ABC channel wasn't pulled. I didn't watch much of the broadcast last year. It gets so exasperating listening to acceptance speeches, even without politics coming into the matter. The speeches just get self-indulgent and run long. What's worse than the speeches is all the damned time the show wastes on superfluous musical numbers, montages and other lame shit dreamed up by old rich people. Then they wind up causing outrage by all the people they leave out of the "In Memoriam" segment. Really they should just give up on that part of the program; they're in a no-win situation there. It would be better for the Oscars organization to post an online gallery that can be updated to include people they initially forgot.

            Out of Best Picture nominees, I saw "Sinners" and "One Battle After Another" in the theater (on our local Lie-MAX screen). I watched "F1" and "Frankenstein" on TV. I haven't seen any of the other nominees yet. I think "Bugonia" and "Marty Supreme" might be available on Prime Video.

            I thought "Sinners" was more entertaining than "One Battle After Another." I thought "One Battle After Another" was a decent movie, but it's overall kind of depressing and not something I want to watch in repeat viewings.​

            Originally posted by Frank Angel
            I saw HAMNET in a theatre that served food so I never saw the opening statement that explained that "Hamnet" and "Hamlet" are interchangeable -- there was a waiter's fat ass in my face for the opening credits.
            That's why I'm 100% out on the damned dine-in movie theater concept. It's crap. My temper is not good enough to tolerate severe distractions like that.

            Comment

            • Frank Angel
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 277
              • Brooklyn, NY

              #7
              Originally posted by Bobby Henderson
              That's why I'm 100% out on the damned dine-in movie theater concept. It's crap. My temper is not good enough to tolerate severe distractions like that.
              I am with you on this one, Bobby -- I never could understand why in order for people to be able to enjoy a movie, they feel the need to strap a feed bag to their face.

              Comment

              • Ed Gordon
                Pro Film Handler
                • Jan 2020
                • 365
                • Seattle, WA, USA

                #8
                I have not watched the Oscars live in years. Instead I watched a recording of it (with commercials removed). Even with the ability to fast forward through the musical numbers, the long walks to the stage to accept, the boring speeches and other crap, it is a chore to watch. The video clips submitted to Youtube allows you to skip the whole show and watch highlights.

                Here are some highlights:





                Comment

                • Bobby Henderson
                  Expert Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 925
                  • Lawton, Oklahoma

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Frank Angel
                  I am with you on this one, Bobby -- I never could understand why in order for people to be able to enjoy a movie, they feel the need to strap a feed bag to their face.
                  I'm also out on drinking alcohol in cinemas. Aside from the distractions servers can cause during the movie the prices for something like a draft beer can be ridiculous. If I want to drink beer while watching a movie I'll probably just get a six-pack of a good India Pale Ale and watch the show on my big screen TV at home.

                  Originally posted by Ed Gordon
                  I have not watched the Oscars live in years.
                  The fact that the event is being broadcast live is part of the problem, IMHO. As you said, the pacing is just terrible. The acceptance speeches are long enough. Add to that the verbally cited list of nominees (and lame jokes the presenters say in the intro). Finally you have the various presenters and award winners walking on and off the stage. If the event was pre-recorded they could trim down a LOT of that shit. It might leave more room for the In Memoriam segment where those half dozen people they forgot to include can be included.
                  Last edited by Bobby Henderson; 03-17-2026, 11:25 AM.

                  Comment

                  • Marcel Birgelen
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3619
                    • Maastricht, NL

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Bobby Henderson
                    I'm also out on drinking alcohol in cinemas. Aside from the distractions servers can cause during the movie the prices for something like a draft beer can be ridiculous. If I want to drink beer while watching a movie I'll probably just get a six-pack of a good India Pale Ale and watch the show on my big screen TV at home.
                    I don't have any problems with beer in a cinema, as long as people don't misuse it. Just like any other drinks, it can be dispensed at the concessions bar before the movie, or maybe during a break or intermission, there is no reason it needs somebody else than yourself to carry to your seat. What I personally hate more are those bags of crisps they often hand out... those metallized plastic bags those things come in are a real annoyance, especially since people always seem to want the thing buried deepest inside the bag...

                    As for seat/table service in cinemas: One of our local cinemas has decided it's best to only allow on-line orders. So, people are constantly on their mobile phones, ordering stuff... to make matters worse, in order to be able to order, you need to scan the QR code in front of you. The result is not just people constantly on their phones, waiters running around delivering stuff, you also have people activating their flashlights in order to be able to scan the QR code. The worst thing is: You can't even complain about people being on their phone all the time, as they have a legitimate reason to use their phones...

                    Comment

                    • Frank Angel
                      Pro Film Handler
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 277
                      • Brooklyn, NY

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Ed Gordon
                      I have not watched the Oscars live in years. Instead I watched a recording of it (with commercials removed).
                      I have been watching all OTA broadcast TV programs that I want to see just like that since the invention of the VCR. Imagine my dismay when the industry went digital and decided they were no longer going to make a stand-alone digital equivalent to the VCR -- a DVR that didn't require any connection to some third party $$ subscription service. Remember when you could buy as many as a dozen VCR models from every electronic manufacturer and all you needed was an a piece of antenna wire and a coax to connect the recorder to your TV? All those remotes had the marvelous FAST FORWARD button! .

                      Comment

                      • Ed Gordon
                        Pro Film Handler
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 365
                        • Seattle, WA, USA

                        #12
                        For TV I use JRiver to record OTA TV. You hook up your computer to a TV instead of a monitor and use the mouse wheel to scroll forward/back.

                        Comment

                        • Frank Angel
                          Pro Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 277
                          • Brooklyn, NY

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Ed Gordon
                          For TV I use JRiver to record OTA TV. You hook up your computer to a TV instead of a monitor and use the mouse wheel to scroll forward/back.
                          But Ed, yes indeed, that will do it, but that's anything but a stand-alone like the when we used the venerable VCR; that requires Internet service, which still must rely on a third party which requires you to open your wallet every month, not to mention you need a dedicated computer as well. . OTA used to be FREE and connecting a VCR to your OTA TV receiver required nothing but a simple antenna and a coax wire with F connectors.

                          After inquiring, ChatGPT directed me to the Tablo device which it said was the one, single existing manufactured device that doesn't require paying a third party for service -- so yes, that device comes close to the concept of a VCR, but no cigar -- unlike the VCR, it does require an Internet connection, hence a third party, albeit an internet provider, which everyone probably has anyway, but none the less, a third party for it to work, not to mention a dedicated computer.. .

                          A friend pointed out, that for the stand-alone VCR of old to be able to record programs (ostensibly so you can times-shift programs but more importantly for me, to ba able to speed past the commercials, you needed to either subscribe to or buy TV Guide every week in order to be able to properly program that VCR. So in a real sense, you had to involve a cost to a third party. She also pointed out that the concept of OTA TV programming being "free" was a misnomer; it was only possible because the broadcaster was able to "scream" commercials to you during the programs which paid for them. By by-passing those commercials, you raise an ethical question -- how is that different than using one of those hacked (they called them "broke") Firesticks that allowed you to see streaming services without paying for them? Hmm, she got me.​

                          Comment

                          • Ed Gordon
                            Pro Film Handler
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 365
                            • Seattle, WA, USA

                            #14
                            Frank, yes there is an initial investment that has to be made. Once that is done, there is no recurring expenses. Most OTA stations send their schedule as part of the broadcast. You can also use the Titan TV guide to schedule recordings.

                            Comment

                            • Mike Blakesley
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 2021
                              • Forsyth MT

                              #15
                              I thought about posting the list of nominees when it came out (I've done so a few times in the past) but we had a vacation coming up and I was heavily into getting things ready for that. Then I forgot about it. I literally did not know the Oscars had taken place until Monday morning. I knew it was coming up, and that Conan was going to be the host, but I thought it was still a week or two down the road.

                              I haven't watched the show in many years. I used to record it, then zip through it by skipping the commercials and the categories I didn't care about. Back when I used to care about some of the nominees, I at least had that reason to watch. Now, I've never even heard of the majority of them. All of the other crap in the show -- the speeches, the tributes, the in-memoriam, the songs....I couldn't care less about any of it. Then when they started injecting all the political nonsense, that was the last straw. I'll watch the opening monologue on Youtube and see the highlight (or lowlight) clips on the news, read the list of winners, and that's all I need.

                              The weird thing is, every year there is the same list of gripes about the show; so why in the hell haven't they retooled it more than they have? They need to burn the whole thing down and start from scratch. But, they have a problem, because they have to satisfy:

                              The celebrities
                              The advertisers
                              The public
                              The network

                              All of which have a different set of desires. The network wants a 3-hour show so they can sell plenty of ads. The celebs want to get their stupid "message" out, which makes no sense, but that's what they want. The public wants to see a spectacle, but the producers' idea of a spectacle is moving farther and farther away from what the public's idea of one is. And the advertisers just want a lot of eyeballs on the screen, but they're delusional too because most people don't watch TV anymore.

                              The celebrities and their politics is a mind-blower for me. I don't talk about my political beliefs in public, because I don't think it's anyone's business. I was raised that way. There's only one person in the world who knows how I vote -- my wife, because we discuss things before we vote. To this day I have no idea how either of my parents, or any of my siblings, have voted. And, in our businesses, we don't put up any political signage at all. Why risk turning off even one person? Why these dumbass celebrities want to do that is beyond reason. You would think the studios would say, "OK, before we sign your 20 million dollar deal, please know that if you start spewing toxic politics and LOSE HALF OF YOUR TICKET BUYERS by doing so, we will never sign you to another deal again." They just "care" so much, they can't resist speaking up, and they have plenty of money, so they have no concern for the entities they're hurting down the line by turning people off to their product.

                              Comment

                              Working...