One of my credit cards expired at the end of last month. Rather than shred it,
I decided to put it in a cup of Acetone overnight, which basically dissolved the
PVC exterior and left just the 'skeleton' of the card's innards:
All that's left are the gold contact points, and the printed circuit antenna traces
ClearCreditCrd_1.jpg
On the other side, you can see the actual (32bit!) embedded microproscessor chip
ClearCreditCrd_2.jpg
My electron microscope is in the shop (just kidding!) - - so the best pic I coud get of the
actual mini-microproscessor was through a magnifying glass. Pretty amazing stuff !
ClearCreditCrd_3.jpg
You can try this yourself some time on an old credit or debit card.
If you don't have any Acetone handy, I hear Red Bull works almost as well.
I decided to put it in a cup of Acetone overnight, which basically dissolved the
PVC exterior and left just the 'skeleton' of the card's innards:
All that's left are the gold contact points, and the printed circuit antenna traces
ClearCreditCrd_1.jpg
On the other side, you can see the actual (32bit!) embedded microproscessor chip
ClearCreditCrd_2.jpg
My electron microscope is in the shop (just kidding!) - - so the best pic I coud get of the
actual mini-microproscessor was through a magnifying glass. Pretty amazing stuff !
ClearCreditCrd_3.jpg
You can try this yourself some time on an old credit or debit card.
If you don't have any Acetone handy, I hear Red Bull works almost as well.
Comment