After being a regular here from early 2000 until around 2004, it's amazing to come back and think about how much has changed. I'm sure some of the people from then are still here. Also, a good many will have retired and some will no longer be with us after 22 years. I've been retired since Halloween 2017.
It was an adventure looking through old posts of mine in the forum archives and some of my posts and comments, especially in the movie review threads, are of movies I struggle to remember seeing (or outright can't remember seeing). That's what 25 years of aging will do.
At the time I was very active here, it predated most modern social media. film-tech, in retrospect, WAS my social media in those days. I remember creating a thread "You might be a film-tech junkie if..." and had a list of things and it got a ton of responses. I discovered film-tech in 1999 and registered in March 2000, it seems. I became familiar with the profile photos and the writing styles and personalities of the participants and learned so much more about everyone than you can with many on Facebook. I felt a genuine connection and it was comforting to visit and check for new activity. LiveJournal was my first "mainstream" social media in late 2003. It was great in that people wrote paragraphs and you got to know then. Later, MySpace and Facebook came along and sentence fragments and pictures were the new norm.
I was a very frequent moviegoer from 1997 to 2006 and was well-known as a movie theatre expert and at the time, had theatre ratings (as opposed to movie ratings) on my web site and got interviewed by both the Decatur and Huntsville newspapers circa 2002. A lot of my time was spent alone and going to the movies was a good way to have new ideas coming into my mind and started going alone in summer 1997 and made a big habit of it.
There is no way I could have known in the early 2000s that all of the theatres I was attending and writing about would go away. Not one of the 5 first-run and 2 second-run theatres I was attending and writing about here are still around. My first actual post here was likely the one about Regal shutting down the two second-run theatres in May 2000. In the coffee shop where I'm sitting writing this, the old Regal 8 (Cobb Cinema 8) is diagonally across the highway, and that theatre was a short-lived A&P before Cobb converted it to a theatre. After the theatre left, it was a Mike's Merchandise for years and recently became a new Goodwill. Of all the other theatres in business then, the Carmike 10 is the only building left standing although closed for years. All others were demolished. The fact that Regal wouldn't have a theatre in Huntsville in a few years would be mind-boggling then.
It is quite embarrassing to say that I've only been to 3 movies in theatres after 2006. Here in film-tech, I posted reviews for quite a few dumb comedies since I was literally going to see something nearly every week. Some even joked when they'd post a review of a dumb lackluster comedy that I'd love it and buy the DVD. I was literally going to the theatre in those days and looking for something not yet seen to watch. Later, I wasn't enjoying the movies as much in 2006 for some reason. After May 2006, I rather abruptly stopped going to theatres and seriously cut down on the number of DVDs I bought. Back in those days, people still got together and did things. I had a large movie collection on Laserdisc then DVD and having movie nights and groups coming over was a regular thing since I had a widescreen HD set and a surround system. That stopped around 2013 as I got older and people became more focused on social media than other people. Sadly, the living room home theatre system has rarely been used in the past few years.
Since the forums changed, I notice that I'm a "Newbie", which, if I start going to movies again, I'd truly be. On the old forum, it looks like I may have posted/commented 1579 times, which seems like a lot for 3-4 years. This may be post 2 on the new one. Going to a movie theatre here now would be a totally different experience and literally starting all over again. Digital instead of film, different companies running the places, no familiar staff from before. One thing is for sure - I'd never do the theatre ratings site type thing again since I don't have the energy I had 25 years ago. That energy would be better put into exploring mathematical and programming interests.
Going to the movies was a healthy habit and was a source of new ideas when social interactions were diminishing. One good thing is that now, if I got back into movies, it would be similar to 1986 all over again when I'd have 20 years of movies to catch up on.
I've got to get out of the habit of preferring something old from the 70s through the early 2000s to anything new. It's not going to be good for my mind or memory in the long run.
Comment