Yet, there are platforms like iPad Pro that cost at least as much as a decent notebook and at least according to Apple, are targeted at professional usage. I'd say the iPad Pro would be a great platform for Adobe creative products to have a fully fledged client available on.
Adobe is, in terms of software companies, an old company. I'm not saying they're weak, because right now they're probably bigger and stronger than ever. But they show many of the signs of a large, somewhat oversized company with many layers of red tape and bureaucracy. That's where they can be beat and I don't mind a bit of competition in this space either, but they're currently the 800 pound gorilla in the room.
It wasn't even a paradigm shift that "killed" Quark. They became so complacent that Adobe eventually started to eat their lunch with a competing and far better integrated product (that ran native on MacOS X). People started to accept backward compatibility issues and moved forward and ditched QuarkXPress in the process. I don't see that happening any time soon with Adobe. While Adobe may be somewhat complacent in their "luxury position" at the top, they keep innovating and adding features to their products. But paradigm shifts are often hard to predict. The modern smart phone, for example, killed almost all other hand held entertainment products, nobody is buying iPods or mobile audio players of any kind anymore, it killed the HiFi stereo tower and a whole lot other stuff in the process. It's those kind of developments that could render something like Photoshop or Illustrator obsolete. I don't see that happening any time soon, but this whole space is fast moving, looking 10 or even 20 years ahead is pretty difficult.
DaVinci Resolve is still getting quite a few updates and for most video editing tasks it's really more than good enough. It's generally more stable than Premiere Pro and that's what matters a lot. While Premiere Pro stability has improved over the years, but the bitter taste of constant crashes still lingers with quite a few users. As for Avid MediaComposer, I think that Avid is a bit too complacent in their current position. Their product has a steep learning curve and caters to a specific niche they seemingly don't want to get out. We'll see how long they'll last...
If you're not locked into the Adobe ecosystem, this thing might actually work. It's a worthy vector editing program and it's remarkable because the desktop version and web version are essentially the same. Still, it will not beat Illustrator anytime soon. Their pricing is stupidly expensive compared to what Serif has to offer though and Serif has actually built some kind of mini-ecosystem around their products.
I guess they're focusing a lot of their efforts on a new set of applications. But the thing that they have going for them is that they've provided all those updates for free. I bought our original licenses back in 2017 or 2018 and I've never had to pay for any feature upgrade. I don't know if this will remain a sustainable model for the future though.
It's also an advantage for the user, because I can't run Linux now on all my machines, because I need to run Windows only software. I could buy Macs, but even then I'll need to implement some emulation as I still need some software bound to Windows. For some software I could switch to native Mac software, but that would require me to buy new licenses, sometimes it would also require data conversions. Software that runs independent from host operating system therefore also gives the user more choice and the likes of Microsoft less power over my computer.
We'll see what happens, let's hope we and this forum are still around and somewhat kicking in 10 years or so and see whether we're running Photoshop from a browser or a stand-alone app. The Internet is an unpredictable thing. About 20 years back I expected wonderful things to happen around the Internet. I expected robots, actual self driving cars, the works... But what we got is a bunch of new megacorps setting people up against each other, while harvesting the last little detail of their personal life and selling it all of for cold hard cash. That's where all those billion dollars of venture capital money eventually went into...
Adobe is, in terms of software companies, an old company. I'm not saying they're weak, because right now they're probably bigger and stronger than ever. But they show many of the signs of a large, somewhat oversized company with many layers of red tape and bureaucracy. That's where they can be beat and I don't mind a bit of competition in this space either, but they're currently the 800 pound gorilla in the room.
It wasn't even a paradigm shift that "killed" Quark. They became so complacent that Adobe eventually started to eat their lunch with a competing and far better integrated product (that ran native on MacOS X). People started to accept backward compatibility issues and moved forward and ditched QuarkXPress in the process. I don't see that happening any time soon with Adobe. While Adobe may be somewhat complacent in their "luxury position" at the top, they keep innovating and adding features to their products. But paradigm shifts are often hard to predict. The modern smart phone, for example, killed almost all other hand held entertainment products, nobody is buying iPods or mobile audio players of any kind anymore, it killed the HiFi stereo tower and a whole lot other stuff in the process. It's those kind of developments that could render something like Photoshop or Illustrator obsolete. I don't see that happening any time soon, but this whole space is fast moving, looking 10 or even 20 years ahead is pretty difficult.
DaVinci Resolve is still getting quite a few updates and for most video editing tasks it's really more than good enough. It's generally more stable than Premiere Pro and that's what matters a lot. While Premiere Pro stability has improved over the years, but the bitter taste of constant crashes still lingers with quite a few users. As for Avid MediaComposer, I think that Avid is a bit too complacent in their current position. Their product has a steep learning curve and caters to a specific niche they seemingly don't want to get out. We'll see how long they'll last...
If you're not locked into the Adobe ecosystem, this thing might actually work. It's a worthy vector editing program and it's remarkable because the desktop version and web version are essentially the same. Still, it will not beat Illustrator anytime soon. Their pricing is stupidly expensive compared to what Serif has to offer though and Serif has actually built some kind of mini-ecosystem around their products.
I guess they're focusing a lot of their efforts on a new set of applications. But the thing that they have going for them is that they've provided all those updates for free. I bought our original licenses back in 2017 or 2018 and I've never had to pay for any feature upgrade. I don't know if this will remain a sustainable model for the future though.
It's also an advantage for the user, because I can't run Linux now on all my machines, because I need to run Windows only software. I could buy Macs, but even then I'll need to implement some emulation as I still need some software bound to Windows. For some software I could switch to native Mac software, but that would require me to buy new licenses, sometimes it would also require data conversions. Software that runs independent from host operating system therefore also gives the user more choice and the likes of Microsoft less power over my computer.
We'll see what happens, let's hope we and this forum are still around and somewhat kicking in 10 years or so and see whether we're running Photoshop from a browser or a stand-alone app. The Internet is an unpredictable thing. About 20 years back I expected wonderful things to happen around the Internet. I expected robots, actual self driving cars, the works... But what we got is a bunch of new megacorps setting people up against each other, while harvesting the last little detail of their personal life and selling it all of for cold hard cash. That's where all those billion dollars of venture capital money eventually went into...
Comment