What about the apparent widespread practice of not repaying service fees? I bought a bunch of tickets via Ticketmaster one day for a magic show my wife wanted to see. At first the engagement was moved to another date, then it was completely cancelled. When they repaid the tickets, they "forgot" the service fees on both tickets, amounting to almost EUR 20. I remember them getting sued over those practices, but I don't know the outcome and the legality of it will depend on jurisdiction.
When I complained, their canned answer was that the "service" they offered to provide your tickets was a separate contract. When I bought tickets from them, I entered into an agreement with them for the tickets and an agreement with the organizer of the event, which, according to them, are two separate agreements. Since they did provide the tickets, they were eligible for the service charges...
Obviously, those kind of practices are even more infuriating as those fees of which nobody knows what they're covering, like those "Convenience Fees". Not withstanding that they hold back your money for months if not even longer.
Even before Covid-19 struck, those exploding ticket prices, the fact that you almost cannot buy tickets anymore like a normal human being, as they're all sold-out within minutes and then appear for like 5 times the price on places like eBay has put me off on going to many of those big-name concerts any longer. I rather spend that money on some lesser known, smaller artists, who perform in smaller venues, where you can actually still look the people in the eye and not only see them on a LED wall with 500ms delay...
Something I find equally unnerving, maybe even more than "hidden service fees" is the dynamic pricing policy of almost everything nowadays. Airline tickets that randomly jump prices the second or third time you query them. Prices that vary, depending on the geo-location of your IP address... Hotel rooms that almost double in price if you happen to look more than twice at the same room. Do the same query with a different IP address and voila, you get the old rate...
When I complained, their canned answer was that the "service" they offered to provide your tickets was a separate contract. When I bought tickets from them, I entered into an agreement with them for the tickets and an agreement with the organizer of the event, which, according to them, are two separate agreements. Since they did provide the tickets, they were eligible for the service charges...
Obviously, those kind of practices are even more infuriating as those fees of which nobody knows what they're covering, like those "Convenience Fees". Not withstanding that they hold back your money for months if not even longer.
Even before Covid-19 struck, those exploding ticket prices, the fact that you almost cannot buy tickets anymore like a normal human being, as they're all sold-out within minutes and then appear for like 5 times the price on places like eBay has put me off on going to many of those big-name concerts any longer. I rather spend that money on some lesser known, smaller artists, who perform in smaller venues, where you can actually still look the people in the eye and not only see them on a LED wall with 500ms delay...
Something I find equally unnerving, maybe even more than "hidden service fees" is the dynamic pricing policy of almost everything nowadays. Airline tickets that randomly jump prices the second or third time you query them. Prices that vary, depending on the geo-location of your IP address... Hotel rooms that almost double in price if you happen to look more than twice at the same room. Do the same query with a different IP address and voila, you get the old rate...

Comment