Hotel Transylvania

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Nathan McLaughlin
    Newbie
    • Jan 2020
    • 12
    • Checotah Oklahoma

    #1

    Hotel Transylvania

    I've got a ? How many small town theater's heavily promoted Peter Rabbit by Sony only to be shut out on the break? We had many of our regulars that went out of town to watch it and come back and tell us about it. Now Hotel Transylvania is coming up, do you get your base excited about it or just skip it and wait to see if The powers that be shine on us small town people?
  • James Wyrembelski
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 200
    • Beaverton, Michigan

    #2
    For the most part it seems that most small places around here really don't advertise ahead of time. That includes myself. My area is primarily small single screens and a few twins. I rarely ever see heavy promotion unless it's already something that has been confirmed in concrete. Our booker does a pretty good job of showing us a plan for the coming weeks and it's pretty much always films that are a guarantee that we'll be able to get and even then there are usually changes. About the most I do anymore is post films on our website that we see potentially being shown at our location but that's about as far as I go. Too many times I've pushed films that we weren't going to get regardless....

    Peter Rabbit was an odd one though. Family films are pretty much a lock at any location. Our booker was pretty perplexed at the limitations placed on it and we both agreed it was an odd move...hopefully it was just a one-off situation.

    Comment

    • Jon Dent
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jan 2021
      • 420
      • Thief River Falls, MN USA

      #3
      We got lucky with PR2 and were able to carry it on break (even though we are only two screens). We did get shafted with Boss Baby 2 though. Universal was still trying to get a two week minimum even after the break, which would've messed with us carrying Black Widow, so we played Space Jam instead for two weeks. That torpedoed our July/August schedule though so now we're passing on Hotel Transylvania.

      We don't do any advertising until I see the booking on Deluxe's website .

      Comment

      • Mark Lane
        Pro Film Handler
        • Mar 2020
        • 116
        • Crystal Michigan USA

        #4
        We book our movies directly with the studios and not with a booker. We had planned on showing Peter Rabbit 2 but the studio rep could not confirm we would get it so we did not promote it.
        We have a good Disney rep who lets us know if and when we can book movies and once they are booked I promote the film. Our Disney rep said she can book Free Guy for us now so I will book that today and start promoting it.

        I shy way from Sony because in the past they would not give me a clean answer. I try and avoid WB for now because it is hard to compete with HBO. I have been booking mostly through Disney. I understand that Jungle Cruise will be the last movie that will be released to Disney Plus at the same time it is released to the theaters. We are open but facing a world of new challenges.

        Comment

        Working...