Slotted marquee letters

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jill Mobley
    Film Handler
    • Mar 2020
    • 80
    • Kennett, Missouri

    #1

    Slotted marquee letters

    I am looking for 10" slotted marquee letters. I thought it possible somebody here had converted a marquee and had some to sell.

  • Kenneth Wuepper
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 145
    • Saginaw Michigan USA

    #2
    Are you looking for plastic or metal letters?

    Adler cast metal letters?

    Comment

    • Jill Mobley
      Film Handler
      • Mar 2020
      • 80
      • Kennett, Missouri

      #3
      Plastic. We have Gemini and Wagner. Every distributor I call says no.
      I am wondering about 3d printing some.

      Comment

      • Mark Gulbrandsen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3093
        • Nashville, TN

        #4
        Did you try calling Wagner?

        Comment

        • Armand Daiguillon
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 244
          • Plantation, FL USA

          #5

          Here's a link .... http://www.changeablecopyletters.com...4491-l-en.html
          Google is your friend

          Comment

          • Jill Mobley
            Film Handler
            • Mar 2020
            • 80
            • Kennett, Missouri

            #6
            Thank you for looking.
            Google and I keep hitting dead-ends. This website let me fill out an order for a request for pricing. The next day I received a nice note from the company that Gemini had gotten rid of their equipment and they have no other source for the letters.

            Comment

            • Jill Mobley
              Film Handler
              • Mar 2020
              • 80
              • Kennett, Missouri

              #7
              In case anyone wants to see my first attempt at making a letter!
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

              Comment

              • Jill Mobley
                Film Handler
                • Mar 2020
                • 80
                • Kennett, Missouri

                #8
                This is the mold. The slots look like they will not last. I am hopeful I can get several made before the mold fails.
                homemade E mold.jpg

                Comment

                • Mark Lane
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Mar 2020
                  • 116
                  • Crystal Michigan USA

                  #9
                  Nice work Jill. I am envious.

                  Comment

                  • Carsten Kurz
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 1481
                    • Germany

                    #10
                    I would think that the average maker shop could either 3D print or laser-cut or mill them. They typically have light manufacturing tools for these materials, and it is easy today to create a 3D model with free software.

                    Comment

                    • Jill Mobley
                      Film Handler
                      • Mar 2020
                      • 80
                      • Kennett, Missouri

                      #11
                      I think I could create a 3D model. I got a price from a 3D printing service in Nashville of $35 per letter. Ouch. That is what motivated me to make a mold a do a resin pour. I will try it on the marquee Friday as that should give it enough time to cure.

                      Comment

                      • Carsten Kurz
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 1481
                        • Germany

                        #12
                        Yeah, at that size, 3D printing is probably too costly for multiple letters, basically because of the size, that is, the amount of time and material needed for printing. Lasercutting or milling should be much faster. All these methods though could also be used to create molds as well, which then could bring down the price again for multiple casts.

                        Comment

                        • Marcel Birgelen
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 3619
                          • Maastricht, NL

                          #13
                          Since these letters are simple 2D forms, lasercutting or milling them from a big sheet of either metal or plastic should be less expensive than 3D printing them. The end result will probably also be more durable. Many 3D printing materials have a problem with prolonged UV exposure.

                          Comment

                          • Jill Mobley
                            Film Handler
                            • Mar 2020
                            • 80
                            • Kennett, Missouri

                            #14
                            These letters are three dimensional.
                            PXL_20220707_024226499.jpg

                            Comment

                            • Randy Stankey
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 1388
                              • Erie, PA, USA

                              #15
                              Nice work!

                              I assume that you are making silicone molds to duplicate existing letters out of cast resin. Right?

                              What do you think about making molds without the slots in them then cutting the slots in after the resin has cured?
                              The molds will last longer and it shouldn't be too hard to cut the slots with a saw or a hot knife.

                              Comment

                              Working...