Popcorn tubs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jill Mobley
    Film Handler
    • Mar 2020
    • 80
    • Kennett, Missouri

    #1

    Popcorn tubs

    It seems every place I look, paper popcorn tubs are either out of stock or the cost is prohibitively high. Shipping is very high, too.
    Am I missing a supplier for these?
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #2
    I get mine from Harlan Fairbanks, who appear to also have an office in Kent, Washington so I guess they sell in the USA too. Maybe that would be an option?

    Comment

    • Marcel Birgelen
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3619
      • Maastricht, NL

      #3
      We have a pickup agreement with DHL. Oftentimes, if I need something shipped in bulk or something very heavy, it's cheaper to let them pick it up, instead of them sending it to me with their preferred courier service. Obviously, not all suppliers are so flexible to allow to arrange for your own pick-up, but this has been quite a cost-saver for us over the years.

      Comment

      • Darin Steffl
        Pro Film Handler
        • Mar 2021
        • 238
        • Kasson, MN, USA

        #4
        I've also seen tubs either gone completely or pricing is high. Has anyone ever ordered in bulk from manufacturers on Alibaba Express? They usually have 10k minimum quantities but I imagine the pricing is much better than anywhere else we can find them. Shipping could be crazy though and the wait time may take months.

        Comment

        • Jill Mobley
          Film Handler
          • Mar 2020
          • 80
          • Kennett, Missouri

          #5
          Right now, I am chatting with several suppliers on Alibaba. Because I do not need customization (some are for fried chicken), several will sell 5000. Shipping is 30-45 days. I have bags I could use until they arrive.

          Of course, 10,000 brings the price down. I am concerned about where I will store them! Maybe a spare bedroom...

          Comment

          • Darin Steffl
            Pro Film Handler
            • Mar 2021
            • 238
            • Kasson, MN, USA

            #6
            What kind of pricing are you seeing per unit? Can you share pricing with the size (oz) of tub?

            Just for reference.

            Thank you

            Comment

            • Jill Mobley
              Film Handler
              • Mar 2020
              • 80
              • Kennett, Missouri

              #7
              130 ounce, delivered, less than 50 cents. Very exciting for my little theater. 30-45 day shipping.
              I need a neighbor to split some with me!

              Comment

              • Darin Steffl
                Pro Film Handler
                • Mar 2021
                • 238
                • Kasson, MN, USA

                #8
                That seems more expensive than buying smaller batches in the US. Webstaurantstore offers 130 oz buckets for $58 per 150 units which is $0.387/unit with free shipping on their Plus membership.

                I wouldn't look at ordering in bulk from China unless cost was at least 30-50% less than buying domestically.

                Complement the irresistible aroma and exquisite, buttery taste of piping hot popcorn at your concession stand, movie theater, or snack bar with this colorful Carnival King 130 oz. popcorn bucket. Each cup is grease-resistant to keep butter from leaking through and creating a mess for your customers. A 130 oz. capacity makes it the ideal size for customers to enjoy and share their favorite snack! The sturdy construction of these cups reduces spills, so you won't waste popcorn, and you'll spend less time cleaning up messes.Perfect for movie theaters and snack bars, the cups are stackable for easy and attractive storage, and they boast red and white graphics of delicious popcorn that will entice your customers to stop by for a snack. Their single-use design is easily disposable, so customers can quickly discard them after use without a hassle. These cups are the perfect mix of playful and functional, and they won't break the bank! They are the ideal budget-friendly choice for serving your customers in function and style. Keep your costs low and your customers happy by reaching for these Carnival King popcorn cups!Overall Dimensions: Top Diameter: 7 5/8" Bottom Diameter: 5 3/4" Height: 8 1/4" Capacity: 130 oz.

                Comment

                • Jill Mobley
                  Film Handler
                  • Mar 2020
                  • 80
                  • Kennett, Missouri

                  #9
                  Thank you for that link. The last time I checked Webstaurant, they were out of stock. With $48 shipping, it is 51 cents. Plus is $99/month - I don't order enough to justify that.
                  It will be interesting to see what landed price quotes I get later today when China wakes up. In the mean time, I am ordering these from Webstaurant.
                  Thanks again!

                  Comment

                  • Darin Steffl
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Mar 2021
                    • 238
                    • Kasson, MN, USA

                    #10
                    Their plus has a 30 day free membership for you to try. Just cancel before the renewal date. If you sign up for their free credit card, it's only $49 per month for that membership. You can also just sign up only when you need it so we only sign up for it every 3-4 months when we want to order a bunch of stuff. It saves lots on shipping.

                    Comment

                    • Jill Mobley
                      Film Handler
                      • Mar 2020
                      • 80
                      • Kennett, Missouri

                      #11
                      Thank you for that info! I saw $99 and did not look further.

                      Comment

                      • Jill Mobley
                        Film Handler
                        • Mar 2020
                        • 80
                        • Kennett, Missouri

                        #12
                        I have ordered some from Webstaurant.

                        I had already submitted a request for pricing on Alibaba. I have several more quotes this morning. Delivered - .30 each. 130 oz buckets. I have a quote for a folded red/white box; they are looking up shipping. I expect shipping will be less than the tubs since they pack flat.

                        This is an interesting project for me.

                        Comment

                        • John Eickhof
                          Pro Film Handler
                          • Jun 2020
                          • 417
                          • wendell, idaho

                          #13
                          have you considered gags? newer coated bags are less expensive, quiter than older bags, less shipping due to more bags per case, and take up way less trash can space. i quit using cups in the 1970s and would never go back!

                          Comment

                          • Mike Blakesley
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 2021
                            • Forsyth MT

                            #14
                            This has been debated before... each has its advantages but tubs are way easier to use, faster to fill, they don't leak butter and people seem to like them better. We used to use bags for a small "unbuttered" size and the crew hated them.

                            Comment

                            • Jill Mobley
                              Film Handler
                              • Mar 2020
                              • 80
                              • Kennett, Missouri

                              #15
                              We have bags. The customers want the tubs. The staff hates filling the bag. I charge $1 more for a popcorn/soda combo - popcorn in a tub. It is the only way to get free refills on sodas.

                              We are talking about using different colored bags so we could tell what is a combo. The staff really do not like to fill them.

                              I often stand at the trash can - take the tubs from people and stack them to take up less room in the trash. That has gotten me reported to the health dept more than once for recycling the tubs. hahahaha

                              Comment

                              Working...