WA movie theaters now required to provide more open captioning

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ryan Gallagher
    Film God
    • Nov 2022
    • 2855
    • Austin, Texas, USA

    #16
    Originally posted by Ed Gordon
    From the Seattle Times newspaper:

    Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/enterta...s-per-new-law/


    ​
    Cool. That clarifies my question. I missed somewhere above that the film was excempt unless it crossed the 5 scheduled screenings threshold. I was conflating the 5 or more (4 or less) location fork in the rules to cover everything. Thanks.

    Comment

    • Gordon McLeod
      Expert Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 565
      • Toronto Ontario Canada

      #17
      Originally posted by Frank Cox

      Not that I've ever heard about.
      Actually there are several laws in Canada requireing hearing assist and closed captioning. It is in the federal building code

      Comment

      • Jim Cassedy
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1450
        • San Francisco

        #18
        We play several retro titles every week. Some are on 35 or 70mm film, but
        for the sake of practicality, most are on DCP. While some well known older
        titles have been rendered with closed captions & descriptive audio tracks,
        most do not. A while back, I had to go to the box office to help them deal
        with a customer who was complaining about the film they came to see not
        having any caption capability . Part of their argument was that they owned
        DVD or Blu-Ray of the same title, which had a captioned version on the disk.
        They insisted that "all I had to do was push a button" on the projector to
        turn the captions on or off, and implied I was too incompetent or lazy to do
        that. I tried explain the difference between home video and DCP, but my
        words were falling on deaf ears. (No put intended, and didn't mean that
        they were literally deaf, hey just didn't want to hear the explanation.
        )
        This has happened once or twice before, but his customer was the most
        upset about it.
        Also, you'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many film-makers, who
        should know better, don't understand the difference between "captions"
        and "subtitles" I went through this with a documentary film-maker recently.
        We got his content through an Aspera download link, and I had done a
        quick QC check on screen the day before his show. I noticed that it had
        captions on screen, and in a phone conversation the day before the
        event, I mentioned that the download he pointed me to had 'open
        caps' on screen, and is that what he wanted. He insisted there should
        be no captions, and that I could 'just turn them off'. He then had the
        guy who made their DCP for them, and he pretty much told me the
        same thing, and that "I could just turn off the captions" in the projector.
        Well, at some point I convinced the film maker that I was right about
        the captions, but he insisted that was the only version they had.At that
        point I was arguing a losing point. I told him "I'd fix it" for his show the
        next day. What I wound up doing was to take his DCP and re-render
        it in DCP-O-Matic™️, leaving out all the subtitle text files. The next
        day, before his event I let him see his original version and then the
        caption-less version I had re-rendered. We went with my version,
        although I'm still not 100% sure he understood the problem.
        Several days later, he sent me an urgent text message and then
        actually called me to say he was on the East Coast doing another
        screening, and "they were having the same problem" there. He
        asked if I still had the caption-less version I made. I then arranged
        to give him a link where the theater there could download the
        version I made without captions, and they used my version for
        their show that night.

        Comment

        • Frank Cox
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 2314
          • Melville Saskatchewan

          #19
          laws in Canada requireing hearing assist and closed captioning
          It's my understanding that there are laws requiring captioning for broadcast media, but I've never heard of a similar requirement for movie theatres.

          If there's a requirement for that, it hasn't ever come to my attention.

          Comment

          • Marcel Birgelen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3619
            • Maastricht, NL

            #20
            Those laws and regulations can happen at many different levels of government...

            Around here, there are no laws regarding subtitling movies for people with hearing impairments, unless it's a movie that's locally subsidized...

            Comment

            Working...