The spring that makes the seat fold up occasionally breaks. Fortunately I have some spare seat pans (or whatever they're called) so I just swap that out and when I have three or four broken ones I take them to the local machine shop and the guy there changes the springs.
But I've just discovered that he's now retired so that's no longer an option and I'm trying to do it myself.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing. He got me a box of springs a few decades ago, so while I have the springs and the seats I lack the know-how to put them together.
The first photo is a seat with a spring that's not broken. (When they break one of the little wings falls off.)
It looks like the way to take it apart is to straighten the ends on that big cotter pin and then the old spring will slide right off.
But the next step is what has me stumped.
The second photo shows a new spring "at rest". It appears that you have to somehow bring the lower wing up so it's higher than the other wing and then it will slide right onto that axle on the seat edge.
But how do you do that? It's not a super-strong spring but it's more than I can just twist in my fingers so I assume there's some way to squash it using... something... so those wings move into position and you can hold it to slide onto that axle.
The other two things in the second photo are pieces that were in the box with the new springs. I assume it's some kind of leverage device that the machine shop guy made to deal with this but again, I have no idea how to use it.
But I've just discovered that he's now retired so that's no longer an option and I'm trying to do it myself.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing. He got me a box of springs a few decades ago, so while I have the springs and the seats I lack the know-how to put them together.
The first photo is a seat with a spring that's not broken. (When they break one of the little wings falls off.)
It looks like the way to take it apart is to straighten the ends on that big cotter pin and then the old spring will slide right off.
But the next step is what has me stumped.
The second photo shows a new spring "at rest". It appears that you have to somehow bring the lower wing up so it's higher than the other wing and then it will slide right onto that axle on the seat edge.
But how do you do that? It's not a super-strong spring but it's more than I can just twist in my fingers so I assume there's some way to squash it using... something... so those wings move into position and you can hold it to slide onto that axle.
The other two things in the second photo are pieces that were in the box with the new springs. I assume it's some kind of leverage device that the machine shop guy made to deal with this but again, I have no idea how to use it.
. Seriously, I hate recliners as none of them fit me correctly, and that generally means being uncomfortable for 2 hours. At 5 foot 8, recliners and I are a total mismatch. So keep the seats as long as you can...

Comment