Ted Turner, RIP

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Martin McCaffery
    Expert Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 575
    • Montgomery, Alabama

    #1

    Ted Turner, RIP

    While I can never forgive Turn for his massive colorization or the Warner Brothers movie catalog, I will be grateful for the restoration and preservation of the negatives that was required to do those colorizations.

    Ted Turner, the media maverick and philanthropist who founded CNN, a pioneering 24-hour network that revolutionized television news, died peacefully Wednesday, surrounded by his family, according to a news release from Turner Enterprises. He was 87.
    ​
    Ted Turner, the media maverick and philanthropist who founded CNN, a pioneering 24-hour network that revolutionized television news, died peacefully Wednesday, surrounded by his family, according to a news release from Turner Enterprises. He was 87.
  • Jim Cassedy
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1450
    • San Francisco

    #2
    Originally posted by Martin McCaffery
    While I can never forgive Turn for his massive
    colorization or the Warner Brothers movie catalog, I will be grateful for the restoration
    and preservation of the negatives that was required to do those colorizations.
    I remember back in the days when Turner was controversially churning out colorized
    versions of classic movies, one of the late night comedians (it might have been Johnny
    Carson
    ) quipped: "The next thing Ted Turner is planning to do is to buy up all the Marx
    Brothers movies, and make Harpo talk."

    Back around 1980 or 81, I worked a live Q&A event which included Frank Capra on
    stage, and at one point I had an opportunity to spend a few minutes alone with him.
    - - well, we weren't completely alone: There was a nurse, and his son Frank Capra
    Jr, who were chaperoning him during the event. At that time, Frank Capra had
    recently publicly expressed his extreme distaste for the colorization process on
    several occasions. So, before I actually got to speak to Capra senior, his son,
    whispering in my ear, requested that I NOT bring up anything about Ted Turner or
    colorization, because it gets his dad "extremely upset". I don't recall it being
    discussed by the moderator during that Q&A event either.

    But I do agree that Ted Turner did rescue many, many classic and unknown film
    from never being seen again, even ones he did not colorize.

    Comment

    • Leo Enticknap
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3572
      • Loma Linda, CA

      #3
      About the one positive thing to come out of that aspect of his legacy was the memorable joke in Gremlins 2, in which the cable channel owned by the thinly veiled caricature of (a much younger) Donald Trump promises its viewers "Casablanca - now fully restored in color, and with a happy ending!"

      Comment

      • Leo Enticknap
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3572
        • Loma Linda, CA

        #4
        Another Ted Turner/Gremlins 2 reference: it appears that the "end of the world" video shown in the movie after the gremlins take over the TV studio actually existed, and was presumably commissioned by Turner to be broadcast in the event that the Cold War turned extremely hot. It would also seem that the Daniel Clamp character is supposed to be a mashup of both Trump (real estate) and Turner (media).

        Comment

        Working...