Tom Cruise in "Digger" - WTF?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jim Cassedy
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1450
    • San Francisco

    #16
    I was looking at the weekend boxboffice receipt numbers for the venue I'm at and ticket
    sales were rather underwhelming. Last night, a 35mm showing of "Silence Of The Lambs"
    played to an almost sold out crowd in that same auditorium. DIGGER was playing in two
    auditoriums- our largest one, and in one of the smaller ones, and S-O-T-L sold more tickets
    than all the DIGGER shows combined.
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 10-07-2026, 09:06 AM.

    Comment

    • Mark DeCew
      Newbie
      • Sep 2026
      • 4
      • Syracuse, New York, USA

      #17
      I just heard from a projectionist friend coming out of the VistaVision presentation at the Coolidge Corner. I asked her opinion of the quality: Her reply "It looked great. But I kept falling asleep" adding "There was probably 15 people in the 3:15pm."

      Comment

      • Ed Gordon
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 365
        • Seattle, WA, USA

        #18
        ...is beyond any question the most shattering sick joke I've ever come across.

        My reaction to it is quite divided, because there is so much about it that is grand, so much that is brilliant and amusing, and much that is grave and dangerous.
        The quotes above are not about Digger. The quotes are from a review by Bosley Crowther of the film Dr. Stangelove in 1964. I quoted them because I have seen multiple comments comparing Digger to Dr. Strangelove. I have not seen Digger, but I consider Dr. Strangelove a classic. User reviews are generally good, but many also say that, 'You will love it, or hate it". Other reviewers mention that they had a hard time trying to figure out where the film was going, but were pleased with the surprise ending.

        I am definitely going to see it, but will wait for it to come to streaming. If nothing else, it deserves an award for the worst advertising campaign in the history of cinema.

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2854
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #19
          For what it is worth, all the venue staff I spoke too, including our film programmer, were in the “loved it” camp.

          Comment

          • Bobby Henderson
            Expert Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 925
            • Lawton, Oklahoma

            #20
            I had a bad feeling about Digger a couple or so months ago when I learned the initial plans for 15/70mm and 5/70mm release prints were scrapped. One Battle After Another had some 15/70 and 5/70 film prints in addition to its handful of 8/35 VistaVision prints. Digger ended up getting only a few VistaVision prints in its inventory. I figured there had to be a good reason for that change in the print order.

            I don't have any plans of watching Digger in the cinema. Considering how badly the movie is bombing, I'm surprised it's booked for at least another week on our local theater's IMAX digital screen (it's doubled up with The Odyssey now however).

            Out of morbid curiosity I'll probably try watching the movie when it arrives on HBO Max a few weeks from now.

            Comment

            • Mike Croaro
              Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 45
              • Belmont, CA

              #21
              I saw the film today and did not like it al all. I also hated the meodcre aspect radio of 1.5 (It's niice to be able to post again on this site).

              Comment

              Working...