Rack Mount MP3 Player

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #1

    Rack Mount MP3 Player

    For background music before the show I've been using a tiny Sandisk Clip mp3 player that I zip tied to my sound rack. This little doodad has started giving me an occasional error when I start it so I figure it's time tor replace it.

    Sandisk doesn't make mp3 players any more and anything available on Amazon seems to be varying grades of cheap Chinese junk.

    What I really wanted was a commercial/industrial rack mount mp3 player and those things are surprisingly rare, considering how many restaurants, hotels, bars and dentist offices play background music.

    I ultimately found one and received it today. Denon 300R MKII.

    As well as a mp3 player it's also a recorder but since I don't need that function I didn't bother to hook it up to anything.

    20260925_161903.jpg
    It still amazes me how few "professional" mp3 players are available.
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #2
    I must be missining something. I see the Denon, JSD100, and the USL Monitor.

    TASCAM makes their CD-400U that seems to be a jack-of-all-trades player:

    Professional-Grade CD, USB, and SD Card Playback with Balanced XLR Outputs - Elevate Your Sound with the TASCAM CD-400U.


    Denon Professional seems to also have similar offerings.

    Comment

    • Frank Cox
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 2314
      • Melville Saskatchewan

      #3
      The Denon in the picture is a rack mount mp3 player. It plays mp3s off of flash drives or sdcards.

      It's also a mp3 recorder but I don't need that part.

      Everything that I can find has stuff that I don't need, and there's no rack mount gear that's a simple mp3 player that just plays mp3s and nothing more.

      I've only had it for a day but it seems to do the job I want it for, and hopefully it's not junk that'll quit before next week.

      Comment

      • Tony Bandiera Jr
        Expert Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 720
        • Moreland, Idaho

        #4
        Frank, see this thread: https://ft-forum.com/ft/vbb/forum/fi...s-needed/page2

        Read the last post.

        I found a rack mount player for around $120 USD that is what you need. It also has a mic mixer built it, so handy for pre-show announcements (or breakdown announcements.)

        I left the services of the mx track so never got around to buying one myself, yet. I still want to get it for my portable system.

        Here's the direct link to the product: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...erator_bt.html

        Comment

        • Frank Cox
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 2314
          • Melville Saskatchewan

          #5
          I actually looked at that one in some depth and there was some reason why it wasn't what I wanted. I can't remember exactly what that was though... maybe it didn't do random play?

          This Denon unit cost me $425 Canadian, including shipping to me from an outfit called Sound Solutions in Vancouver.

          It's not as capable as the little Sandisk, in that it doesn't do playlists and there's a limit of 999 files and maximum two directory levels on the media (usb or sdcard) that you plug into it. But you can do random play of all files on the media, or of all files in a single directory. The Sandisk also automatically started playing again from where it left off when you turned it back on. So this new unit isn't exactly 100% of what I wanted, but it seems to be about as close as I can get in something that isn't cheap junk.

          Comment

          • Gordon McLeod
            Expert Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 565
            • Toronto Ontario Canada

            #6
            I have had good luck using this unit

            Comment

            Working...