Does anyone know if there is a source to purchase Savoral popcorn salt? It was around before there was Flavacol and even better.
Concession Popcorn Salt
Collapse
X
-
Wow, I haven't heard that name in many years. When we had a drive-in theater here, their popcorn "claim to fame" was this special salt they used and that's what it was. But we've used Flavacol here since the stone age. I just did a quick Google for Savoral and didn't spot anything. -
Yeah Mike I also did a search but couldn't find anything. When I started working for Malco (out of Memphis) they used Savoral before switching to Flavacol. There WAS a difference!!
After the switch popcorn never tasted the same. Oh well........
Comment
-
Famous Players in Canada had a division called Theatre Confection Supply that made there own salt mixture and coloured coconut oil. Their salt was much darker colour and had a much richer flavor and scentComment
-
Due to the stuff currently happening, cinemas have been closed for months now over here. Although we have a professional screening room, we don't have a popcorn machine. We've been watching quite a few movies in there, to get a bit of the traditional cinema feeling, but one thing I do miss, is good popcorn. The store-bought stuff doesn't cut it. The microwave popped stuff may come closest, but still misses out on the real stuff, if it's done right. Yeah, you can easily pop some of the stuff yourself in a kettle, but you miss the buttery flavor you'd otherwise get.
So, I recently saw this German guy cooking up some popcorn on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvcEaufuaFI
I'd say, this really is a must-try... if done right, it even tastes better than "the real thing". He also has a pretty easy recipe for a popcorn salt, giving the stuff a real buttery kick, much like Flavacol, but with a much more intense butter flavor.Comment
-
If you want good popcorn at home, get Whirley Pop!Due to the stuff currently happening, cinemas have been closed for months now over here. Although we have a professional screening room, we don't have a popcorn machine. We've been watching quite a few movies in there, to get a bit of the traditional cinema feeling, but one thing I do miss, is good popcorn. The store-bought stuff doesn't cut it. The microwave popped stuff may come closest, but still misses out on the real stuff, if it's done right. Yeah, you can easily pop some of the stuff yourself in a kettle, but you miss the buttery flavor you'd otherwise get.
So, I recently saw this German guy cooking up some popcorn on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvcEaufuaFI
I'd say, this really is a must-try... if done right, it even tastes better than "the real thing". He also has a pretty easy recipe for a popcorn salt, giving the stuff a real buttery kick, much like Flavacol, but with a much more intense butter flavor.
Hands down, it’s the best popcorn you can get outside of a movie theater.
Microwave popcorn? I can’t even stand the smell of that shit cooking. It practically makes me gag to put it in my mouth! Microwave popcorn is banned in this household.
Once you’ve had Wilrley Pop, you won’t want to eat any other kind.
Comment
-
I understand it's a common habit in the US to pour liquid butter over salted popcorn, sometimes self-service.
BUT - once the poporn is buttery and greasy, how do you actually eat it without leaving a nasty smeary mess on your fingers, seat, coke-bottle, etc.?
@Marcel - don't look at Germany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxmIbhUaoeY
Cooking your popcorn outside on an open fire is also compliant with Covid-19 recommendations. Well, fire protection recommendations, I am not so sure...Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 01-09-2021, 09:02 AM.Comment
-
I assume the customers just grab extra napkins - - sort of like what I do when I get fried chicken.once the poporn is buttery and greasy, how do you actually eat it without leaving a nasty smeary mess on your fingers, seat, coke-bottle, etc.?
Greasy fingers is one of the main reasons I never ate buttered popcorn in the projection room - - until I saw an Asian projectionist buddy of mine enjoying some in his booth using chopsticks. It works!
Comment
-
I really can't stand the "butter flavoring" on popcorn (theater or microwave). I can just feel it seeping out of my forehead.
On cooking popcorn outside on an open fire, does anyone remember Jiffy Pop?
Comment
-
Well, when I estimate the amount, I do hope for their customers that it was sugar ;-) Isn't it that 'Kettle Corn' is always sweet?Comment
-
In the part of the country where I live, there are Amish guys cooking and selling kettle corn at just about every street fair or outdoor event where vendors are allowed to set up.So, I recently saw this German guy cooking up some popcorn on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvcEaufuaFI
Depending on the time of day, they often have the longest lines, too.
Just don't forget the Amish motto: "In God we trust. All others, please pay cash."Comment
-
in the seventies we used plain white 'popcorn salt' made by morton salt co. then we used savoral which i think was made by cretors, it disappeared and flavacol became the standard, i believe the only difference was savoral was iodine free salt and flavacol is iodized...Comment
-
I guess I can try to put some liquid smoke into the oil to get that smokey flavor in there.@Marcel - don't look at Germany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxmIbhUaoeY
Cooking your popcorn outside on an open fire is also compliant with Covid-19 recommendations. Well, fire protection recommendations, I am not so sure...
Kettle Corn is supposed to be sweet, but I like it when they add just a bit of salt too. It gives it a bit of that "salty caramel" taste.
I once told a street vendor that I had no cash on hand, just cards, so I wasn't interested and then he pulled a payment terminal from somewhere...Originally posted by Randy StankeyJust don't forget the Amish motto: "In God we trust. All others, please pay cash."Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 01-12-2021, 08:24 AM.Comment
Comment