Creating partition >2TB in Doremi terminal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Carsten Kurz
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1481
    • Germany

    #1

    Creating partition >2TB in Doremi terminal

    fdisk exists on Doremi servers and allows to create partitions on unformatted drives in the CRU slot or on USB connected discs.

    Now, is there a similar command available on 2.8.2x Doremis that allows me to partition a 4TB disc with GPT/GUID scheme?

    - Carsten
  • Scott Norwood
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 216
    • Boston, MA., USA

    #2
    Does it have gdisk?

    Comment

    • Carsten Kurz
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1481
      • Germany

      #3
      At least not immediately from the commandline. There is sgdisk, however, that seems to be more complicated to use.

      - Carsten

      Comment

      • Scott Norwood
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 216
        • Boston, MA., USA

        #4
        Hmm...I would try to get a copy of gdisk from the relevant repository. parted is another possible option, but I don't know if Doremi has that. I have not used sgdisk. My preference would be for gdisk, since it works just like fdisk. Is there a reason why you want a large partition using GPT? Most D-cinema servers will not properly support that.

        Comment

        • Carsten Kurz
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1481
          • Germany

          #5
          This is solely for a local backup on the same Doremi. Parted isn't there. As far as I know, sgdisk has the same functionality as gdisk. As a matter of fact, it seems gdisk is calling sgdisk. However, I couldn't find usable instructions on how to use sgdisk.

          Comment

          • Ioannis Syrogiannis
            Pro Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 286
            • Reykjavík, Iceland

            #6
            From what I read, the package is available from Rod Smith.
            He gives a lot of details about a lot here: https://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
            He also has a Hybrid MBR guide that calls for the gptsync tool though.
            A NAS would have made things a lot simpler (and expensive, admittedly).

            Comment

            • Carsten Kurz
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1481
              • Germany

              #7
              Well, don't know why, but, DCP export through the Doremi GUI was already slow in the past. Wether the reason is new bandwidth limits to secure HFR playout during export with the most recent software updates, or the fact that this Doremi now has a 4drive/4TB RAID, but, GUI export essentially has come to a halt now. Even the terminal cp to a CRU drive has slowed down considerably. So, I guess I need to try FTP next time and hope that this performs better. When I converted this unit to 4*4TB a few months ago, I could backup the full 3.5TB content to a local 4TB disc during night time using cp * from the terminal. That was roughly 100MByte/s.

              Now, it took multiple hours for a single feature using the same method.

              - Carsten
              Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 02-19-2020, 07:31 AM.

              Comment

              Working...