NEC 1200 menu button inoperative

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Richie May
    Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 43
    • Floral Park, NY, USA

    #1

    NEC 1200 menu button inoperative

    Weird issue. I went in to change batteries on the IMB and that went fine. I closed everything up. Remarried everything. Went to put in the code on the keyboard for the service door and I can't get to the menu. The menu button does NOTHING. I rebooted. Pulled the power. Took off the side door again and replaced it. All errors are gone except the service door error. Keypad lock is off and all other buttons work. Is there a way someone could have disabled the menu button. If not, maybe the button is bad. If so, is there another way to clear the service door error?
  • Mark Gulbrandsen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3093
    • Nashville, TN

    #2
    It's likely a bad button pad. I can't tell you how much I hate those membrane keypads! I believe the projector will run ok with the tail lights red. But at some point you may have to replace the keypad. I had lots of Eprad Ultimations in my service area in the film days and those also crack and go bad.

    Comment

    • Richie May
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 43
      • Floral Park, NY, USA

      #3
      ThAnks Mark. I figured it might be bad. The server will not run. Service door error comes up on server. Is there any other way to reset the service door?

      Comment

      • Matt Smith
        Newbie
        • Jan 2020
        • 19
        • Milton Keynes, England

        #4
        Have you tried re-marrying the enigma through the communicator software? I am sure I was able to clear this once before that way but I could be thinking of another error...

        Comment

        • Richie May
          Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 43
          • Floral Park, NY, USA

          #5
          Yeah, it doesn't work. To clear the service door error, you hold down the menu button until it asks for the password. I'm hoping there isanother way.

          Comment

          • Harold Hallikainen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1073
            • Tucson AZ

            #6
            If it's a bad button on a membrane keyboard, you can generally press different portions of it to eventually get it to work. Did the keyboard have other signs of going bad such as this or other buttons being flaky? Also, membrane keyboards are often scanned for rows and columns. Often an entire row or entire column will go out. Do other keys work properly?

            I hope you find another way of resolving the problem! Good luck!

            Comment

            • Richie May
              Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 43
              • Floral Park, NY, USA

              #7
              Thanks Harold. I did try pressing different parts of the button. Every other key works. The menu button did not show any sign of failing. That's why I thought someone pressed something to lock it out.

              Comment

              • Richie May
                Film Handler
                • Jan 2020
                • 43
                • Floral Park, NY, USA

                #8
                So I assume there is no other way to clear the service door tamper without the menu key?

                Comment

                • John Thomas
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 120
                  • Los Angeles, CA

                  #9
                  Try using something with a dull, hard plastic corner like the back of an inkpen or usb drive to press the button. Use a decent amount of force. As mentioned earlier, try different spots on the button.

                  Don't use anything too sharp that could pierce the membrane.

                  Comment

                  • Frank Cox
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 2314
                    • Melville Saskatchewan

                    #10
                    If the keypad is shot anyway, would there be anything gained by ripping the covering off and somehow directly shorting the contacts underneath? Or is that even possible?

                    I've never had anything to do with this stuff, but anything I've ever heard about membrane keypads (going back to stuff like the Sinclair ZX80) has been universally bad. Is there any reason why they're still using that design, other than overall cheapness?

                    Comment

                    • Ian Freer
                      Newbie
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 11
                      • Wellington, NZ

                      #11
                      In your shoes, I would contact a certified NEC Cinema technician. They should have the ability to force the projector into Service Mode with a specially created USB device plugged directly into the projector. This should get you up and running until you can get a new keypad installed (assuming the Menu button is gone for good).

                      Like all these things, I'm sure one is not allowed to share the USB etc, so it'll have to be a site call-out...

                      Comment

                      • Mark Gulbrandsen
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 3093
                        • Nashville, TN

                        #12
                        Actually, he IS the Technician...

                        Comment

                        • Richie May
                          Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 43
                          • Floral Park, NY, USA

                          #13
                          Yeah but not "certified". Well I ordered a new keypad. NEC won't give me any info over the phone because I'm not a "legit" tech. Whatever!! Lol.

                          Comment

                          • Leo Enticknap
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 3572
                            • Loma Linda, CA

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ian Freer
                            In your shoes, I would contact a certified NEC Cinema technician. They should have the ability to force the projector into Service Mode with a specially created USB device plugged directly into the projector.
                            This procedure was not covered in any of the NEC training I've done, or the service manuals that I'm aware of. The only USB key procedure I'm aware of for NECs is the requirement to create one to enable the light to come on with some models of laser projector that have USA-specific firmware (indicated by the suffix -A in the model number) in them, to comply with American legislation. If the USB key is not inserted, you can't fire the lasers up.

                            Incidentally, sorry if this comes across as nitpicky, but to clear up any possible confusion: the projector can be put into service mode using DCC, with no need to touch the keypad. However, this will not clear any tampers. To do that, you need to put it into service mode using the keypad (I'm not sure if putting it into advanced or installation mode via the keypad will also clear a tamper - never tried). Per DCI rules, clearing a tamper can only be done physically, at the projector - not remotely. NEC implements this requirement by the method we're discussing, Barco with the Dallas key ritual, and then later with the button that replaced it, and Christie with a button.

                            Comment

                            • Steve Guttag
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3777
                              • Annapolis, MD

                              #15
                              Leo, a properly formatted USB drive with the appropriate firmware can also be used use to unbrick a projector by having it wake up and update to the files on the drive (that was used LONG before the absurd Laser Safety key thing on "select" models).

                              Comment

                              Working...