I guess you've heard those speakers on that same CinemaCon somewhere back in 2013 if I remember correctly. I also wasn't a fan of that particular demo. Like you indicated, there was some artificial harshness to it, which did not only distract, but actually caused some mild irritation... Maybe those ribbons cause an over-emphasis on the high frequencies, which needs to be toned town?
I guess the "Vive" deal was a combi-deal together with the Dolby Vision projectors, where Christie would essentially deliver most of the hardware-side of things for the entire Dolby Cinema project. That situation apparently changed after Dolby acquired their own "B-Chain" manufacturer.
But, I guess you've never heard one of their first Dolby Cinema prototype rooms shortly after they were finished with it? Whatever they did there, it worked pretty well and that apparently with the same speakers or at least same line of speakers, featuring those ribbon speakers as tweeters. That extreme harshness is gone, even at the extreme SPLs they play content in those rooms. They padded every square millimeter of those rooms with half a feet of rockwool and other dampening material and spend weeks calibrating those first rooms, so maybe the "magic" is in there, I don't know.
To be clear, this is no endorsement for Christie Vive speakers, as I simply have too little experience with any of them to judge them.
I guess the "Vive" deal was a combi-deal together with the Dolby Vision projectors, where Christie would essentially deliver most of the hardware-side of things for the entire Dolby Cinema project. That situation apparently changed after Dolby acquired their own "B-Chain" manufacturer.
But, I guess you've never heard one of their first Dolby Cinema prototype rooms shortly after they were finished with it? Whatever they did there, it worked pretty well and that apparently with the same speakers or at least same line of speakers, featuring those ribbon speakers as tweeters. That extreme harshness is gone, even at the extreme SPLs they play content in those rooms. They padded every square millimeter of those rooms with half a feet of rockwool and other dampening material and spend weeks calibrating those first rooms, so maybe the "magic" is in there, I don't know.
To be clear, this is no endorsement for Christie Vive speakers, as I simply have too little experience with any of them to judge them.
Comment