NEC 900C Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Leo Enticknap
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3572
    • Loma Linda, CA

    #16
    Originally posted by Steve Guttag
    I'd say a significant flaw in the NEC plan is that one does indeed get put into the situation of having to issue a service code to clear a simple tamper error.
    There are three codes.

    Advanced User - allows you to clear a tamper and enter new bulb info (reset hours, select a different model and a new cert code in the case of xenon projectors, etc.).
    Installation - allows you to do everything except update software/firmware.
    Service - allows you to do everything.

    Per the NEC training I did, we are allowed to give the end user the "advanced user" code without restriction.

    I don't know what the rationale is for having the "installation" code - IMHO, updating software/firmware to the current release version should be a part of the installation process. My guess is that some megachains might have corporate policies about all projectors in all sites being on the same version, and therefore, this code is issued to their techs to prevent them from changing that without authorization.

    Comment

    • Steve Guttag
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3777
      • Annapolis, MD

      #17
      For the NC900, there is also the "hot-swap" code...which they require one signing a document before being issued that code. (Don't pull the wrong lamp).

      Will the Advance code clear all door tampers? How about a marriage tamper?

      Comment

      • Carsten Kurz
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1481
        • Germany

        #18
        I would probably agree to the point that a 'good' dealer/integrator should offer to train local staff in basic operations like creating new presets. Paid, of course, so that a committed cinema operator/projectionist should be able to perform a range of tasks themselves. One would think e.g. that projectors should have a staged access level system that would allow local staff to correct e.g. focus drift, lamp level, or adjust for new unusual aspect ratios. I mean, unlike for electrics, heating, plumbing, etc., theres not a very dense network of local cinema techs available in most parts of the world. And not all jobs can be done remotely. Though, occasionally, I have created a new format over the phone using teamviewer and my own test chart.

        - Carsten

        Comment

        • Leo Enticknap
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3572
          • Loma Linda, CA

          #19
          The advanced user code will definitely clear a service door tamper. Not sure about a marriage (logical) tamper - will try it the next time I'm servicing a 900.

          Comment

          • Marco Giustini
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1169
            • Reading, UK

            #20
            Originally posted by Steve Guttag
            Just because one owns a projector (or any product) that does not entitle them to service codes or software. You may own your automobile but you don't have the factory service software for it to tune it up, though you may feel entitled. Software is copyrighted. As such, the copyright holder can decide who may or may not have it.
            The equivalent in NEC world is that you're given a car and it only runs at a fixed speed. If you want to change gear you need a password

            Changing the lamp power and any other setting should be available to the customer. Marriage and door tamper shouldn't.

            Comment

            • Dave Macaulay
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 460
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

              #21
              "But you feel is is okay/proper to take it upon yourself to dispense both?"
              Yes.

              Comment

              • Mark Gulbrandsen
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3093
                • Nashville, TN

                #22
                I had to sign non-disclosures with both GDC and NEC at training in order to get the passwords. I believe we also did with Dolby and Cinedigm as well.

                Comment

                • Steve Guttag
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3777
                  • Annapolis, MD

                  #23
                  The equivalent in NEC world is that you're given a car and it only runs at a fixed speed.
                  I disagree with that comparison. Adjusting lamp intensity on an NC900 also will change the color of the image. So, in your car analogy if pressing the accelerator changed timing such that it ran rough...which is why it is a very poor analogy.

                  I too have signed numerous NDAs but regardless, I don't consider myself to be the arbitrator of who gets to have another company's "secrets". If the company wanted them to be handed out, they would. And, since Dave has now publicly stated that he hands out confidential information, and most companies frequent Film-Tech (though rarely post), perhaps his ability to attain such information could be restricted.

                  Comment

                  • Armand Daiguillon
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 244
                    • Plantation, FL USA

                    #24
                    Just to be clear in my initial post I did not ask for any special codes - i stated that according to my manual, what I was trying to access (projector via IP) should not require a code, yet I was being asked for one. So I asked if some default code existed like the typical "User" and "1234" that are often defaults.

                    In the end it turned out the the ip address I had was off by a digit and it was not the projector I was trying to log into (no idea what it actually was)

                    But the topic has become a bit more heated than i'd like for no good reason - can we close this thread ?

                    I got all the info I needed - thanks


                    Comment

                    • Carsten Kurz
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 1481
                      • Germany

                      #25
                      Armand - the NEC NC900 user manual is publicly available and has a section about the HTML/Browser interface:



                      - Carsten

                      Comment

                      • Marco Giustini
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 1169
                        • Reading, UK

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Steve Guttag

                        I disagree with that comparison. Adjusting lamp intensity on an NC900 also will change the color of the image. So, in your car analogy if pressing the accelerator changed timing such that it ran rough...which is why it is a very poor analogy.
                        I'm afraid I feel that your point is not relevant but Ok, let's exclude the NC900 and let's include all the other Xenon projectors then. My analogy stands.

                        Comment

                        • Armand Daiguillon
                          Pro Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 244
                          • Plantation, FL USA

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Carsten Kurz
                          It is indeed - and my original question referenced my copy of the manual ..... before I bother people here i'll always try to find the solution on my own.

                          Thanks.

                          Comment

                          • Steve Guttag
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 3777
                            • Annapolis, MD

                            #28
                            I'm afraid I feel that your point is not relevant but Ok, let's exclude the NC900 and let's include all the other Xenon projectors then. My analogy stands.
                            This is a thread about an NC900 so, no, you're wrong on that count alone. But even with a xenon projector, the need to adjust xenon power would be to attain a desired light level. One would presume you would have a suitable photometer, at minimum, or a spectroradiometer, preferred (so you know that your luminance is referenced at the correct color). Most end-users have neither. Those with said equipment most likely have been issued the necessary passwords/documents legitimately. In a car, we are trying to range speeds based on the posted limit and the meter (speedometer) is supplied. Furthermore, speeds from zero to the posted limit are all required. This is not the case for adjusting a xenon lamp.

                            Comment

                            • Mark Gulbrandsen
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3093
                              • Nashville, TN

                              #29
                              The advanced user code will definitely clear a service door tamper. Not sure about a marriage (logical) tamper - will try it the next time I'm servicing a 900.
                              On all NEC's the marriage if using a Legacy module has to be done from with in DCC, so yes, you need the service password there and then the Name And Password for Marriage. If you have an IMB server like an SX-3000 or SR-1000 the marriage is done from with in the server setup. So you would still need the password for the server setup access to do it.

                              Comment

                              Working...