Intermittent glitch with DSP100

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Carsten Kurz
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1481
    • Germany

    #31
    You'd better spend that effort towards a DSS200. It's time to move away from the DSS100. No problem to keep a working spare, but...

    Comment

    • Peter Foyster
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 72
      • Roleystone Western Australia

      #32
      I respect your advice, Carsten and if it was just effort required I'd be quite happy to. Unfortunately $$$ comes into it. I think I would be better off with 2 working DSS100s than one DSS200 (even if I could actually find one).

      Comment

      • Marco Giustini
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1169
        • Reading, UK

        #33
        did you try booting up without RAM? It should change the beeping sequence. Also have you tried unplugging everything from the board when testing? Just PSU, CPU and RAM (and speaker).
        Finally, if you have a multimeter, check the voltages - unlikely but since you're there...

        Comment

        • Peter Foyster
          Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 72
          • Roleystone Western Australia

          #34
          Removing RAM results in ongoing single long beeps. Unplugging stuff doesn't change the original beep code.

          Comment

          • Peter Foyster
            Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 72
            • Roleystone Western Australia

            #35
            Well, the latest in this saga.
            I was given a motherboard, which also had on it the processor and RAM. I removed the old board and replaced it.
            The DSS100 sprang to life and is now acting as a spare and designated Auditorium 2 so that I can access some of the content that was on the drives.
            As I replace the 5 year old drives on the main server I can put them into the spare as it is just using any old drives I could find. One drive is non operational and another has one bad sector. So it is living on borrowed time!
            The old motherboard had a few dead moths under it which may have contributed to the original failure.

            Comment

            • Dave Macaulay
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 460
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

              #36
              Remember that computer "bugs" were named when insects got into the original tube based computers and shorted out the high voltage plate supply. ZZZZAP!

              Comment

              • Leo Enticknap
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3572
                • Loma Linda, CA

                #37
                We likely have Grace Hopper to thank for that term:

                While she was working on a Mark II Computer at Harvard University in 1947, her associates discovered a moth that was stuck in a relay and impeding the operation of the computer. Upon extraction, the insect was affixed to a log sheet for that day with the notation, “First actual case of bug being found”. While neither she nor her crew members mentioned the exact phrase, "debugging", in their log entries, the case is held as a historical instance of "debugging" a computer and Hopper is credited with popularizing the term in computing. For many decades, the term "bug" for a malfunction had been in use in several fields before being applied to computers. The remains of the moth can be found taped into the group's log book at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.

                Comment

                • Carsten Kurz
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1481
                  • Germany

                  #38

                  Comment

                  Working...