Where do you get your trailers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gronw Roberts
    Newbie
    • Jul 2021
    • 14
    • Bangor, Wales, UK.

    #1

    Where do you get your trailers?

    Hi all.

    I mostly get trailers over LanSat or sometimes the Unique when the adverts arrive but everything I need isn't always there. I've managed to pick up the strays from hd-trailers.net most times but some some reason the search function on their site has stopped working. I tried it on a couple of different browsers but to no avail.

    Where do you get yours? I'm looking for UK trailers.

    Thanks in advance.
  • Mark Gulbrandsen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3093
    • Nashville, TN

    #2
    Either get a trailer pack from distribution via your Booker, or if you can get DCDC Satellite Download they automatically are downloaded every week.

    Comment

    • Peter Mork
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 124
      • Boston

      #3
      I get them off the web - YouTube, Vimeo or other sources, then convert with DCP-O-Matic.

      We get weekly hard drive packages, but I just send them back unopened. I got tired of trailers that are much too loud, and it's easier to get them from another source and convert, where you can check the level and lower it if necessary, which it usually is. It's not too much trouble once you get the hang of it, the results are always clear and sharp, you can also remove occasional bits of extraneous material.

      Comment

      • Gronw Roberts
        Newbie
        • Jul 2021
        • 14
        • Bangor, Wales, UK.

        #4
        Great stuff, thanks for your help .

        Comment

        • Carsten Kurz
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1481
          • Germany

          #5
          You can adjust level etc. of DCP trailers from these trailmix hard disks with DCP-o-matic just as well. The turnaround times may be even faster, since the video does not need to be recompressed, it is just passed through. You also get the full 5.1 uncompressed audio. Just load a DCP trailer into DCP-o-matic and try it.

          In Germany, we can get all trailer DCPs from 2 or 3 internet sites, however, they are maintained by postproduction companies that also distribute DCPs in Germany, so they are not open for international registration. They still supply trailers in both english or french and german dubbed versions.

          Comment

          • Darin Steffl
            Pro Film Handler
            • Mar 2021
            • 238
            • Kasson, MN, USA

            #6
            Originally posted by Peter Mork
            I get them off the web - YouTube, Vimeo or other sources, then convert with DCP-O-Matic.

            We get weekly hard drive packages, but I just send them back unopened. I got tired of trailers that are much too loud, and it's easier to get them from another source and convert, where you can check the level and lower it if necessary, which it usually is. It's not too much trouble once you get the hang of it, the results are always clear and sharp, you can also remove occasional bits of extraneous material.
            I tried trailers from online sources and hated it! The quality is not nearly as good as the TrailMix drive from Deluxe and you don't get 5.1 or 7.1 audio from online sources. PLUS, you have to download, play with DCP-o-Matic, wait to render, transfer to a drive, then ingest into your IMB. It takes way more time and you end up with worse presentation than using the native trailer from Deluxe.

            I will never download a trailer from the web again and display it in our Theatre.

            Comment

            • Peter Mork
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 124
              • Boston

              #7
              Fine. But after years, going back to the film days, I followed assurances from the industry that they would address complaints that trailer sound was too loud, then nothing ever changed, so i decided to go a different route. I suppose you could use DCP-O-Matic to lower the sound from Deluxe trailers to a level you're happy with, I'm not sure it would be less trouble than getting them off the web though.

              Comment

              • Peter Mork
                Pro Film Handler
                • Jan 2020
                • 124
                • Boston

                #8
                >The turnaround times may be even faster, since the video does not need to be recompressed, it is just passed through.

                Didn't seem to work for me, it took the same time, maybe because the sound had to be multiplexed after lowering it, I don't know. I'm not in any rush anyway.

                Comment

                • Frank Cox
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 2314
                  • Melville Saskatchewan

                  #9
                  I have a cue that turns the sound volume down for trailers and another to crank it up for the feature.

                  Comment

                  • Carsten Kurz
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 1481
                    • Germany

                    #10
                    Sound 'multiplexing' is very fast, compared to video encoding. As a matter of fact, as we show most trailers of scope films letterboxed in flat, I sometimes add some additional information (as show times) as timed text subtitles in the letterbox area. Again, converts in no time. DCP-o-matic is VERY fast with these things.

                    Comment

                    • Darin Steffl
                      Pro Film Handler
                      • Mar 2021
                      • 238
                      • Kasson, MN, USA

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Frank Cox
                      I have a cue that turns the sound volume down for trailers and another to crank it up for the feature.
                      This right here. We have trailers at 5.0 on our Dolby processor and that is comfortable. Movies run anywhere from 5.5 to 6.0 to be comfortable and not too loud.

                      There is NO reason to adjust the volume of trailers in DCP-o-Matic when you just program in the volume cue when you schedule the playlist.

                      Comment

                      • Gronw Roberts
                        Newbie
                        • Jul 2021
                        • 14
                        • Bangor, Wales, UK.

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Frank Cox
                        I have a cue that turns the sound volume down for trailers and another to crank it up for the feature.
                        This is what I do too.

                        Comment

                        • Carsten Kurz
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 1481
                          • Germany

                          #13
                          Generally, yes. Sometimes we get trailers or ads that are way off, so we would need to add volume cues just for these clips. That may be acceptable for show playlists that run only a limited time. But sometimes we play certain spots over multiple weeks or even months. In that case, we prefer to level the trailer so that it is compatible with our standard preshow level. Doesn't happen too often, though. But often enough with ads.

                          Comment

                          • Mike Blakesley
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 2021
                            • Forsyth MT

                            #14
                            Same here. We run trailers at 3.7 and most movies at 5.3 to 6.0, depending on the movie. I listen to each one and come up with a "default" setting for that movie, and we'll just it up or down from there depending on the crowd size, too. Or if the crowd is mostly people under 30 or over 60, I'll play it a little louder (for different reasons!)

                            Comment

                            Working...