dcp_inspect on Mac OS X?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jonathan Greer
    Newbie
    • Jan 2020
    • 12
    • London, England

    #1

    dcp_inspect on Mac OS X?

    Hello all,

    Having a lot of time on my hands and a couple of laptops I finally got around to installing the program dcp_inspect on ubuntu and tried it out a bit.

    Just wondering if it's possible to install this on recent Mac OS Xs? I found this thread https://github.com/wolfgangw/backpor...mment-68636021 from a while back on how to install it on Yosemite but I haven't been able to get it to work on this laptop (running High Sierra).
  • Carsten Kurz
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1481
    • Germany

    #2
    I can only suggest to contact Wolfgang Woehl directly. As far as I know, he is (or was) running dcp_inspect on Macs himself, so he may help you with the installation.

    Comment

    • Jonathan Greer
      Newbie
      • Jan 2020
      • 12
      • London, England

      #3
      Very sensible! I contacted Wolfgang and he responded

      "About dcp_inspect on MacOS: no reason it should not install/run on recent MacOS. I developed it mainly on a Mac. My current OS version is Mojave (10.14) and dcp_inspect worked fine along all major MacOS version upgrades. Alas, I never got around to write up a proper install guide for MacOS – there are a bunch of steps involved:

      You need an Apple developer account to get at their Command Line Tools Package – including a crucial compiler toolchain, which is required for ruby and asdcplib compilation. You need homebrew, a nifty package manager, for some complementary packages.

      It goes on like that and there are a couple of pitfalls where it just gets too convoluted for non-console people. Cold truth is I can't go down that MacOS rabbit hole right now.

      Another thing: dcp_inspect would indeed need a little love; e.g. the naming convention hints are woefully out-of-date. Not a biggie but not nice, either. Couple more issues ..."

      and

      "Key thing is to build asdcplib. You could follow along in the setup script to investigate requirements for that.
      See https://github.com/wolfgangw/digital_cinema_tools_distribution/blob/master/digital-cinema-tools-setup "

      ...so if anyone else is interested, it ought to be possible to install on macOS, but not straightforward.

      (I realised that I should have left out the X in the topic header... not sure what it was meant to accomplish in the first place...)

      Comment

      • Elia Orselli
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 273
        • Imola, Bologna, Italy

        #4
        Why don't you use clairmeta instead? It's a python tool and it's tested on macOS 10.12, it should work.
        Clairmeta is a python package for Digital Cinema Package (DCP) probing and checking. - ClairMeta/ClairMeta

        Comment

        • Jay Wyatt
          Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 42
          • Los Angeles

          #5
          I got this to compile a long time ago (maybe 2015) on OSX 10.9 Mavericks. As wolfgang said there were a ton of hoops to jump through and it took me a long time. Getting asdcplib to compile was the hardest part if I remember right. Haven't heard of clairmeta before but if its a simple python tool and does all the same things then it sounds like the better option.

          Comment

          • Jonathan Greer
            Newbie
            • Jan 2020
            • 12
            • London, England

            #6
            Thanks! It seems Clairmeta also needs asdcplib to run so I'd still have that hoop to jump - I may have another crack at this, but in the meantime I can run dcp_inspect on Ubuntu at any rate -could run it within VirtualBox on our Macs maybe.

            Comment

            • Carsten Kurz
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1481
              • Germany

              #7
              I think it's better in general to run dcp_inspect from a boot-stick linux, or within a VM, because both methods will also give you stable access to ext2/3 discs.

              - Carsten

              Comment

              • Ioannis Syrogiannis
                Pro Film Handler
                • Jan 2020
                • 286
                • Reykjavík, Iceland

                #8
                For whomever wants to give it a try, I propose sharing the whole guidance by Wolfgang, after all, that would correspond to the whole thread's idea.

                Comment

                • Jonathan Greer
                  Newbie
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 12
                  • London, England

                  #9
                  Hi Ioannis, just to gather everything in one place:

                  Digital Cinema Tools distribution is here:
                  Tools for Digital Cinema. Contribute to wolfgangw/digital_cinema_tools_distribution development by creating an account on GitHub.


                  Then a thread on Github enquiring about installing dcp_inspect on macOS:
                  Hello. PR #1 concerning Mac OS X support has been quiet for a couple of years. Can I ask: is digital_cinema_tools_distribution supported on OS X currently? In my particular case, I'm on OS X 10.9.5...


                  -which links to the thread above on installing on Yosemite:
                  dcp_inspect v1.2014.12.10 fails to parse CPL correctly and therefore reports false errors. previous version installed v1.2013.12.16 runs ok Here is the log from both versions : dcp_inspect v1.2013....


                  And then Wolfgang's comments:
                  "About dcp_inspect on MacOS: no reason it should not install/run on recent MacOS. I developed it mainly on a Mac. My current OS version is Mojave (10.14) and dcp_inspect worked fine along all major MacOS version upgrades. Alas, I never got around to write up a proper install guide for MacOS – there are a bunch of steps involved:
                  You need an Apple developer account to get at their Command Line Tools Package – including a crucial compiler toolchain, which is required for ruby and asdcplib compilation. You need homebrew, a nifty package manager, for some complementary packages.
                  It goes on like that and there are a couple of pitfalls where it just gets too convoluted for non-console people. Cold truth is I can't go down that MacOS rabbit hole right now.
                  Another thing: dcp_inspect would indeed need a little love; e.g. the naming convention hints are woefully out-of-date. Not a biggie but not nice, either. Couple more issues ..."

                  "Key thing is to build asdcplib. You could follow along in the setup script to investigate requirements for that.
                  See https://github.com/wolfgangw/digital_cinema_tools_distribution/blob/master/digital-cinema-tools-setup "

                  Think that's everything!

                  Comment

                  Working...