Tenet from a BluRay

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mike Blakesley
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2021
    • Forsyth MT

    #1

    Tenet from a BluRay

    We are booked for a private showing of "Tenet" and I'm not sure how to convert it properly.

    The movie is partially in Imax format, so if I put it in a "flat" package, it looks normal part of the time but with a smallish picture mid-screen part of the time. If I put it in a Scope container and resize it to fit, it'll have the top and bottom cut off during the "flat" segments. What to do? The customer is a movie-phile, and he expects a good presentation, but is understanding of the limitations of blu-ray and converting and such.
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #2
    I'm pretty sure it was flat when I played the dcp so I suppose flat would be the way to go since it would match the "real one".

    Comment

    • Sascha Roll
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 106
      • Berlin, Germany

      #3
      The regular Non-Imax DCPs were F-220 throughout and that's also how I would create the DCP.

      Blu-rays of Nolan's movies are notorious for jumping between Aspect Ratios, between 1.78 and 2.39 (Dark Knight, DKR, Interstellar) and 1.78 and 2.20 (Dunkirk, TENET).

      Regular (non-IMAX) DCPs were always in 1 format without changes.

      Comment

      • Scotty Wright
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 138
        • Seattle, Washington

        #4
        Is the screen flat or scope? It sounds like scope.

        maybe ask the customer if they have a preference? I would default to whatever requires the least masking, but if overshooting the image is readily apparent and there’s no way of cropping the file or blanking the overshoot areas in the projector, then I’d lean towards flat.

        Comment

        • Carsten Kurz
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1481
          • Germany

          #5
          Do you have screen/masking presets for 2.2:1 for DCP? Because that's the proper way to show it in my opinion. The question is, how are the IMAX vs. 2.2:1 scenes framed? Because, depending on the IMAX aspect ratio, cropping it to 2.2:1 may throw away a lot of resolution. Even the standard DCP was 4k. I guess the Bluray jumps between 16:9 full frame for IMAX and 2.2:1. I guess it also depends a little bit on your screen layout (wasn't it 2:1?). Personally, I would crop away the IMAX overshooting to a plain 2.2:1, at least on our scope screen.

          Another question would be - how much IMAX/16:9 is in the Bluray vs. the standard 2.2:1?
          Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 07-06-2023, 03:59 PM.

          Comment

          • Jim Cassedy
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1450
            • San Francisco

            #6
            As Sasha said, the Non IMAX™ DCP's were mastered as "F-220"

            Also, FYI:
            TenetAspect_1.jpg




            ​
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 07-06-2023, 04:06 PM.

            Comment

            • Marco Giustini
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1168
              • Reading, UK

              #7
              The think is that the theatrical version would have been edited/cropped to 2.2:1. If you just crop the Blu Ray version, well, you're cropping in a random place, it won't assure you you won't have cropped heads during the movie.

              You cannot get a proper theatrical version? If not, I'd go Flat or maybe something "in between" to reduce the amount of crop during the Flat scenes.

              Comment

              • Jim Cassedy
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 1450
                • San Francisco

                #8
                Originally posted by Mike Blakesley
                [ edited ] "The customer is a movie-phile, and he expects a good presentation,".
                Then send him here (lol) - -
                I've got a couple of 70mm TENET shows next week. . .

                TenetCans.jpg
                s
                TenetLabel.jpg
                Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 07-07-2023, 09:22 AM.

                Comment

                • Luca Frontino
                  Newbie
                  • Apr 2024
                  • 1
                  • Italy

                  #9
                  Is the mix on BD and UHD the original theatrical farfield mix?

                  Comment

                  Working...