Mission Impossible 7 and Dolby DSS200 servers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brad Miller
    Administrator
    • Dec 2019
    • 373
    • Plano, TX, USA

    #1

    Mission Impossible 7 and Dolby DSS200 servers

    Just a heads up for anyone running these servers who might be getting ready to call in a technician...

    Every theater on our NOC running DSS200 servers that ran this early preview screening today has image problems with this feature. We also confirmed this is not affecting Doremi or GDC servers.

    A manager at one of the sites sent this photo in to show what the problem looks like. There are green and blue halos around objects (such as these people's heads) and it apparently gets much worse than seen here when there is movement with other colors and a hazy cast over the image.

    Remember kiddos, digital is perfect!
    Attached Files
  • Marco Giustini
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1169
    • Reading, UK

    #2
    interesting. If you hadn't told me it was the server, I would have blamed the projector. Looks like some sort of motion blur. Even though the DSS series is dead, I'm surprised this wasn't picked up during mastering.

    Comment

    • Jason Sharp
      Film Handler
      • Apr 2022
      • 43
      • Denver, Colorado, USA

      #3
      Thanks for the heads up! Do you know if this is affecting Cat745 or Cat862? Or Both?

      Comment

      • Brad Miller
        Administrator
        • Dec 2019
        • 373
        • Plano, TX, USA

        #4
        Sorry I should have noted it is affecting the cat862 media blocks.

        Comment

        • Marcel Birgelen
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3619
          • Maastricht, NL

          #5
          Well, that's some top-notch QC from Paramount and Deluxe right there...European DCPs may be mastered differently, haven't heard any complaints yet, other than that the runtime is kind-of extreme @ 2h43m and this is just "Part 1"...

          Comment

          • Antti Näyhä
            Film Handler
            • May 2020
            • 34
            • Helsinki, Finland

            #6
            There was a similar-looking issue that used to be quite common in DCP's created with earlier versions of certain OpenCube authoring software, when played back on a Cat 862. Not sure if the MI7 problem is exactly the same – I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet, but probably will soon.

            Our DCP seems to have been created with ClipsterDCI 6.9.3.3.
            Last edited by Antti Näyhä; 07-10-2023, 12:40 AM.

            Comment

            • Antti Näyhä
              Film Handler
              • May 2020
              • 34
              • Helsinki, Finland

              #7
              Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen
              European DCPs may be mastered differently, haven't heard any complaints yet
              Just heard that the issue has also been experienced in Sweden.

              Comment

              • Philip Jones
                Film Handler
                • May 2020
                • 49
                • England

                #8
                We have this problem in the UK with our DSS200s. The same issue was there with the very first trailer they ever issued for the film. I did report it at the time to Paramount but was fobbed off and subsequent trailers were fine.

                Comment

                • Joop de Gruiter
                  Newbie
                  • Feb 2020
                  • 2
                  • Lund, Sweden

                  #9
                  Is it present all the time or only at certain time codes?

                  /Joop

                  Comment

                  • Philip Jones
                    Film Handler
                    • May 2020
                    • 49
                    • England

                    #10
                    I haven't watched all of it, but it's particularly noticeable at 01:22:00 for 5 minutes

                    Comment

                    • Joop de Gruiter
                      Newbie
                      • Feb 2020
                      • 2
                      • Lund, Sweden

                      #11
                      Thanks Philip,

                      I haven’t seen it myself yet but I got a report that it is noticeable from 11-17 minutes into the movie. Like Brad wrote it is worse where there is fast movement.

                      /Joop

                      Comment

                      • Antti Näyhä
                        Film Handler
                        • May 2020
                        • 34
                        • Helsinki, Finland

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Philip Jones
                        I haven't watched all of it, but it's particularly noticeable at 01:22:00 for 5 minutes
                        The aforementioned OpenCube issue only manifested after the DCP had been played for some time. So for example, let's say I started the film from the beginning and the issue started at exactly 17 minutes… Then after the screening, I tried to reproduce it by starting playback from 17 min, but this time it looked just fine – unless I let it play continuously for a long time again.

                        Not 100% sure it's the same issue, but from what I know, it looks and sounds very similar.
                        ​

                        Comment

                        • Philip Jones
                          Film Handler
                          • May 2020
                          • 49
                          • England

                          #13
                          Confirmed by Deluxe that they are aware and are working on a new version which will be with us ASAP.

                          Comment

                          • Jerry G. Axelsson
                            Film Handler
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 98
                            • Stockholm, Sweden

                            #14
                            We had the same problem on a DSS200 and CAT 862 when we ran an advance screening of MI7.
                            Started around 00:15:00 and lasted until the end. We did spot checks after this screening and the issue was not present. Reported to UIP.

                            Comment

                            • Steve Guttag
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3777
                              • Annapolis, MD

                              #15
                              Well, this sucks. But thanks a lot for the heads up.

                              Comment

                              Working...