Enough. If you're not going to help, please don't respond.
Playlist Software for Drive-In Theatre
Collapse
X
-
-
Or consider buying a real drive in instead of doing make believe. There is a nice 4-screen for sale in Alabama. You can just about run year round there.Comment
-
This is only a temporary drive-in. It's called a "Pop-Up Drive-In". See here: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=pop-up+drive+in+theaterComment
-
Jake: What specifically are you trying to change in VLC? Without an easy "pop-up drive-in" checkbox in VLC we need to know which program behaviors you are trying to effect to your needs in order to advise you.
Yes, there is an objective, technical, measurable difference in quality between (99% of) pirated content and legitimate Blu-ray. I'm sure that to some members of this forum (myself included) even a Blu-ray's image compression is offensively sub-par for exhibition. Realistically though, your audiences won't know the difference given the context of the presentation. For your needs, your main focus in terms of image quality should be on light output before anything else, even resolution.
Since this thread is framed not as a "should I" but rather a "how can I," I think it's pointless for us to digress to discussions about the morality/legality of presenting pirated material. If the studios find an issue with the way you source your content, you will certainly find out.Last edited by John Thomas; 05-23-2020, 11:08 PM.Comment
-
Besides the current pandemic, which has hit many industries in a broadside kind of attack on their potential livelihood, there are probably three main reasons the exhibition industry at large is in dire straits:Since this thread is framed not as a "should I" but rather a "how can I," I think it's pointless for us to digress to discussions about the morality/legality of presenting pirated material. If the studios find an issue with the way you source your content, you will certainly find out.
1. It competes with a dozen other options, including streaming services.
2. Sub-par presentation standards
3. Piracy
Jake represents two out of three. If you source the content you present to your patrons from a piracy source, you're a hypocrite and a douche for many reasons. Should we condone such bad behavior? I see no reason to keep my mouth shut about it.
Furthermore, quite a few people have tried to help, but his prerogative and outright petulant attitude that we are somehow required to help him and shut-up about anything we don't like he's saying, certainly doesn't help.Comment
-
Nobody is condoning his proposed behavior. More than likely they're just trying to get this together to keep from going broke during the pandemic closure.
I was attempting to keep the thread on topic. Considering the venue perhaps I should have known better.Comment
-
Holy crap, it's getting better and better all the time. Can some mod please delete this crap here? This kind of shit is destroying the reputation of cinemas in general.
"Movies for free"? Are you kidding me?
Let me guess, people are supposed to pay for your shitty "show"?
Sounds like a good business to me. Don't pay any licenses, put together a crappy "projection" setup, called it a cinema and take the money.
I wonder why nobody has ever done that before!
Oh, wait...Comment
-
We are a movie theater. We have licenses.
--
Taking those movies from the program was just a thought... don't get so butthurt.
As far as VLC, I am having my laptop set up, connected to the projector. So you would know the settings I need to adjust
.
And no, I'm not expecting anyone to help me, but, this is a public forum, so feel free
.
Comment
-
I guess we all welcome some creative ideas to get through those challenging times. We all know that in those times, budgets are strained, but I guess when that turns out into the "smart neighbor's kid" hooking up the projector from the conference room to his private Popcorn Time Kodi box, we should, maybe, draw a line or two?Comment
-
Is it a professional thing you're doing? You were talking about a "drive in theatre", which to my knowledge is a professional business intended to make profits.
You charge customers, right? So they have the right for a flawless presentation in professional quality.
Professional quality involves hardware, software and skills. There are things, you can't expect to get for free. If it's free, you want, than you have to do it yourself. Also consultancy is a legitimate professional business. People make a living on it, and they need that income, not to starve.
So think about, what you're asking for. Free support, and services for a business to create profits. Well, than you would probably have to deal with the problems yourself. Your time does not cost you anything.Comment
-
As I am sure Jake knows, having a contract with a distributor is not the same as having a license to exhibit a specific film.
As I hate venues with poor presentation whether they be permanent theatres or pop-ups, I sometimes feel like a lion in the tall grass waiting to pounce by reporting to the appropriate distributor's booking/legal department any suspected unauthorized screenings here in Northern NJ and Rockland County NY. I feel this type of thing hurts the industry long term. If they indeed have a license for the specific film(s), then nothing will come of it.
There have been several pop-up drive-ins planned for the area over the month. I truly hope they are do it right and they not just a quick grab for money by ripping off people with cabin fever.
Comment
-
Besides, we members here on F-T don't support and give advice on doing something illegal.Last edited by Monte Fullmer; 05-28-2020, 02:13 AM.Comment
-
Comment