external drive for creating DCP from MKV and ingesting into GDC SR1000

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Robert Kwalick
    Newbie
    • Oct 2021
    • 13
    • Litchfield, CT

    #1

    external drive for creating DCP from MKV and ingesting into GDC SR1000


    Our 18 month old Fantom Gforce 3 external drive that we've used to transcode and ingest DCP's made from Blu-ray discs just failed.
    Somewhere along the line I came to believe that for this kind of work we would need a drive that was 2TB and that had an external power supply, but is this true?
    Can I use a USB powered drive as long as it has enough space (I own several) or do I need a new drive that plugs into the wall?
    I know that the USB port on the GDC media block is USB 3...
    Thanks!
  • Greg McGuire
    Newbie
    • Jun 2020
    • 9
    • Manhattan, KS

    #2
    Robert, you should be okay with any external drive. I would also recommend that it be formatted as EXT 2 or EXT 3.

    I use a 2 TB Samsung T5 when I need a USB drive, but most of the time, I'm just ingesting from a network drive on a Synology NAS.

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #3
      We do a lot of manual ingesting into our older GDC for the smaller theatre. We have a couple usb 3.5in disk caddies, mix of spinny disk and ssd. If you are buying I recommend high capacity SSD so jostling it is not a concern since there will be a lot of handling. Ours powers directly from the GDC face panel without issues.

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #4
        Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
        We have a couple usb 3.5in disk caddies, mix of spinny disk and ssd.
        If it wasn't apparent, I meant 2.5in caddies!

        Comment

        • Carsten Kurz
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1481
          • Germany

          #5
          Wether your server can supply enough current for a USB device can only be found out by testing. If it has an explicit USB3.0 port, you should not run into problems. I would suggest a 2TB SSD nowadays. It offers a little bit protection in case it is dropped, and it will also usually need less power, as there is no 'motor spinup' as with rotating discs. Don't go above 2TB. I would suggest MBR partition table (sometimes now complicated to create, at least in windows).

          Comment

          Working...