Longer lens for Barco 0.69" projectors - 'teleconverters' ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Carsten Kurz
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1481
    • Germany

    #1

    Longer lens for Barco 0.69" projectors - 'teleconverters' ?

    Does anyone know options for Barcos 0.69" DCI projectors to have a longer throw than the 1:2.0-3.9 lens? Did anyone ever use a 'special' lens on the DP2K-10S oder DP2K-6E? Are there any working tele-conversion lenses that would give acceptable brightness and image quality?
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #2
    I don't know of any. Your best bet is to see if something from their A/V line used the same lens mounts (like the TLD+ to the "C" projectors). I was able to to use a longer lens for a DP2K-12C in one old venue that had a very long throw versus its screen size. This was before "Cinionic." Getting other Barco lenses wasn't such a big deal though cost wise, non DCinema lenses are MUCH more pricey.

    Comment

    • Dave Macaulay
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 460
      • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

      #3
      If it has a C lens mount, there are "event" lenses that will work, some very long ones. If you have an S lens holder, you're out of luck. And as you reference the 1.2-3.9 lens which is the longest S lens... the S lens mount is not used in non-cinema projectors so there aren't any "event" S lenses. Several non-cinema Barco projectors have C or B lens mounts, but not S.

      Comment

      • Marcel Birgelen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3619
        • Maastricht, NL

        #4
        The Barco Athena and SP2K-S series both use S-type lenses, so, you're pretty much stuck with the S-lenses Barco offers.

        Barco "C-type" lens mounts can be converted to a TLD+ mount via a Barco-supplied conversion mount, but I doubt such a thing exists for S-mounts.

        Comment

        • Stefan Scholz
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 298
          • Berlin Germany

          #5
          Eventually not for the S2 series. These are, afaik , limited to the S2k type lenses up to 3.9 to 1 ratio. One might use a Cine Digitar tele converter upfront, which I tried for curiosity reasons when I was given one by a friend. It worked, and prolionged the focal length by factor of around 1.25.
          THese were "historic" items, and no longer in production, they might be found NOS or used somewhere. I dot not know about another solution for the Cinema line of 0.69 machines.

          Comment

          • Steve Guttag
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3777
            • Annapolis, MD

            #6
            I do see that NEC has a long one for their .69" (it does not overlap with the rest of the S2 line up and starts at 4.07 but goes up over 6.

            Comment

            • Carsten Kurz
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1481
              • Germany

              #7
              Yeah, NEC seems to be the only company offering more than 4:1 for 0.69".

              I have now digged up a moderately priced second-hand teleconverter for projection, it goes up to 1.4*. I may give it a try, since it is 'only' 250€. A Schneider-Kreuznach lens. Let's see how much light loss and other artefacts it introduces. I may have other uses for it as well, justifying the moderate investment.

              Comment

              • Marcel Birgelen
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3619
                • Maastricht, NL

                #8
                It will be interesting to see how you're able to fit it in front of the existing lens in such way it still works when switching between aspect ratios. But yeah, nothing duct tape can't fix? :P

                Comment

                • Carsten Kurz
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1481
                  • Germany

                  #9
                  So, I tried the Schneider-Kreuznach 1.1-1.4 tele conversion lens and it 'just' seems to work. I need to build at least a temporary mount first to really check finally image quality, but seems to be okay for the occasional use.

                  Having said that - I just browsed Barcos DP2k-6E replacement part list and found this:

                  Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-15 um 18.16.50.png

                  Would that allow me to use a longer lens? Is there a manual or application document for this adaptor?

                  Comment

                  • Dave Macaulay
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 460
                    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

                    #10
                    These lenses are for Barco RLM (boardroom/home theatre) projectors as far as I know, maybe others? The RLM projectors and this lens adapter ring and NLA. There is no info available on the ring - like a manual. There's an RLD lens that's up to 6.76 but I don't know the chip size expected - but they say the ring is for an S or E series cinema projector so it may match. Not sure how painless the installation may be, hopefully the motor plug lines up and it can be controlled.

                    Comment

                    • Jesper Meng
                      Film Handler
                      • Feb 2020
                      • 44
                      • Skoerping, Denmark

                      #11
                      I was told by Barco that RLD would fit with the adapter. I have seen used RLD lenses for sale, so it should be possible to fit a 0,8 as well as a longer throw. I have a 6E. I have a lot of AV lenses TLD+ and XLD thah i use on SP/DP projectors for longer throw

                      Comment

                      • Marin Zorica
                        Pro Film Handler
                        • Feb 2020
                        • 150
                        • Croatia

                        #12
                        I have installed one barco DP2K-6E few years ago, we did need throw around 5 and they sent lens which is used ln other 0.69" rental projector (cannot recall model) together with adaptor to fit it on 6E. Only thing was that lens were without encoder, so just motors for focus/zoom but connector was different and they stated in sheet which came with lens to remove it and off course lens was used as manual. That wasn't a issue since screen was flat format.
                        ​​​​
                        ​

                        Comment

                        Working...