Cloning Showvault SSD

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Devin McNamara
    Film Handler
    • Mar 2022
    • 82
    • Meadville Pennsylvania, USA

    #1

    Cloning Showvault SSD

    How do you go about cloning the boot SSD onto another USB drive? I thought I had read something about it on here but I cannot remember where. Does Dolby still sell these with the software on them? Seems easy enough to buy the SSD from InnoDisk. Then I could just clone a Doremi onto it.
  • Carsten Kurz
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1481
    • Germany

    #2
    There is a tech support document from Doremi/Dolby explaining the clone process:

    Comment

    • Devin McNamara
      Film Handler
      • Mar 2022
      • 82
      • Meadville Pennsylvania, USA

      #3
      Thanks. With that said, what do you recommend in the way of replacement SSDs? I found the exact drive on Mouser Electronics. I would assume I'd be better off with an industrial USB drive than any old drive off the shelf at Walmart.

      Comment

      • Carsten Kurz
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1481
        • Germany

        #4
        If you find the original device, go ahead. I remember Dolby selling replacements with a current OS on it at close to 80-100US$ or something.

        A colleague ran his ShowVault off a standard SanDisk USB stick for years without issues. One reason probably being that it is a read-only boot disk (unless you are performing software upgrade), and the whole OS is copied into a RAM disk during the boot process. So, once the system has booted, the USB stick has little to do. All write operations after it has booted up go to the RAID.

        Comment

        • Leo Enticknap
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3572
          • Loma Linda, CA

          #5
          Likewise, I've replaced deceased boot flash drives on DCP2000s, DCP-2K4s, and SVs, with regular USB sticks and just left them - they've run indefinitely without issues.

          Comment

          Working...