Barco SP4K - Visible Heat Dissipation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Griffen Birdsong
    Newbie
    • Aug 2022
    • 18
    • Little Rock, AR

    #1

    Barco SP4K - Visible Heat Dissipation?

    As of yesterday, I noticed what looks to be visible heat dissipation onscreen. Attaching a video clip here (If possible, try to watch in 4K). Think of a drop of ink into water and how it moves. This SP4K has been in service for a year now, and is only used a few times a month. I'd expect this coming from xenon but I am a little surprised seeing it come from a laser light source. Is this a common occurrence regardless? Thank you in advance!
  • Marco Giustini
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1169
    • Reading, UK

    #2
    That usually comes from the heating in the auditorium (warmer/cooler air moving across the light beam). Particularly if your air inlet are on the ceiling and particularly when you turn it on in a cold room - the hot air will float on the top giving a "mirage" effect.
    Could that be your case as well?

    Comment

    • Griffen Birdsong
      Newbie
      • Aug 2022
      • 18
      • Little Rock, AR

      #3
      That’s a great possibility. Very well could be especially since we had cooler weather beginning yesterday. I’ll take a look at where the air inlets are located.

      Comment

      • Marco Giustini
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1169
        • Reading, UK

        #4
        With hot weather and AC on, I would see "columns" of cold air descending from the ceiling to the floor!
        That usually mitigates when the room has reached temperature so the air being sent to the auditorium is not so hot/cold.

        Comment

        • Pete Naples
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 135
          • Dunfermline, Scotland

          #5
          As others have said, that's air at different temperatures, and therefore different reftactive index, mixing in the auditorium. Not the projector.

          Comment

          Working...