Gmail to disable App-PW and only allow OAuth, be warned it can effect KDM Automation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • James Gardiner
    Expert Film Handler
    • Nov 2021
    • 500
    • Melbourne, Australia

    #1

    Gmail to disable App-PW and only allow OAuth, be warned it can effect KDM Automation

    Just wanted to make sure people are aware of Gmail moving to a new policy for Authentication.
    App-Passwords will be disabled in the future and only OAuth-type authentication will be supported.

    This will break automation for automatic KDM ingest into TMS's or Players if the source Email address is from a Gmail account.
    Autonomous systems typically don't support OAuth and are not likely to do so.

    It is recommended that cinemas move away from Gmail to alternate infrastructure/IMAP-capable-Email-accounts.

    I did a video going into it more here.


    SEE Gmail announcement here: https://apps.google.com/supportwidge...gger_context=a
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #2


    (link that doesn't require you to log into google to read it)

    Comment

    • Dennis Benjamin
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 96
      • Milford, Ohio

      #3
      I do believe the newer software versions of GDC TMS have taken this into account and they changed this to where it works.

      Comment

      • James Gardiner
        Expert Film Handler
        • Nov 2021
        • 500
        • Melbourne, Australia

        #4
        Originally posted by Dennis Benjamin
        I do believe the newer software versions of GDC TMS have taken this into account and they changed this to where it works.
        Yes, OAuth is doable, but I do not like the implementation in that. To offer OAuth in your app, you must maintain an account on GCP (Google cloud platform), including an active Credit card. Then register for access to OAuth and get an access token. If this account or token drops out, for any reason. Say the company goes away or stops supporting the product. Everyone using this feature breaks overnight. A massive single point of failure for critical processes in cinema operation.

        As I have a free product, I am not in a position to keep that all going for no benefit. So like cinema-catcher-app tool, and other tools that do this that are self-made or created by other integrators. They are unlikely to want to go down this path.

        My recommendation is to move away from Gmail due to this.

        Comment

        Working...