JSD60 Blank screen & wont change format

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Stephen Frazza
    Newbie
    • May 2020
    • 3
    • New Jersey

    #1

    JSD60 Blank screen & wont change format

    I have another JSD60 with a blank screen and wont change format when the buttons are pushed.
    Ive tried updating all the firmware, is there anything else that can be tried to recover the unit?
  • Harold Hallikainen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1072
    • Tucson AZ

    #2
    This is a known issue. Early units did not have gold plating on the header or ribbon connector that connects the front panel to the main board. After a while, these contacts develop a high resistance preventing communications between the front panel and the main board. This can usually be fixed by unplugging the front panel ribbon cable from the header on the main board and plugging it back in (similar to the common fix for projectors of reseating boards). It also helps to put Deoxit on the header before plugging the cable back onto the header.

    Note that later units had gold contacts and, as far as I know, that resolved the issue.

    Comment

    • Rick Cohen
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 93
      • Lockport, New York

      #3
      Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen
      This is a known issue. Early units did not have gold plating on the header or ribbon connector that connects the front panel to the main board. After a while, these contacts develop a high resistance preventing communications between the front panel and the main board. This can usually be fixed by unplugging the front panel ribbon cable from the header on the main board and plugging it back in (similar to the common fix for projectors of reseating boards). It also helps to put Deoxit on the header before plugging the cable back onto the header.

      Note that later units had gold contacts and, as far as I know, that resolved the issue.
      We had the same issue on a few of our JSD-60s and USL at the time replaced our front covers with the newer part which had the gold ribbon. The issue was resolved and never came back.

      Deoxit on the ribbon contacts should also do the trick, since USL/QSC is no longer providing free replacements for the front panels.

      Comment

      • Mark Gulbrandsen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3093
        • Nashville, TN

        #4
        Never had that issue, and I installed quite a few of them to replace original USL JS-95 processors during digital conversion. So I assume I got the units that had the gold ribbon contacts. In fact the JSD-60 and 80 were the most reliable pieces of audio gear I ever installed.

        Comment

        Working...