Refurbished Light Engine for a Barco DP2K-10S?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jason Speers
    Newbie
    • Sep 2020
    • 14
    • Oakville, Ontario, Canada

    #1

    Refurbished Light Engine for a Barco DP2K-10S?

    ANyone have any leads on where I might find one of these?
  • Mark Gulbrandsen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3093
    • Nashville, TN

    #2
    Look on Linked In. There is a guy in China that probably will have one. He appears to be legit, and can also likely repair yours. I will neither reccomend or not reccomend him. He'd likely give refrences though. I will pm you his name.

    Comment

    • Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 77
      • Valladolid (Spain)

      #3
      Hi Mark.
      Do this guy make LASER retrofit engines maybe?
      Let me know his name too. Thanks!

      Comment

      • Mark Gulbrandsen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3093
        • Nashville, TN

        #4
        No, he doesn't make them. He is a distributer for the only company that does make retrofits other than what manufacturers might offer themselves.

        Comment

        • Marcel Birgelen
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3619
          • Maastricht, NL

          #5
          Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
          No, he doesn't make them. He is a distributer for the only company that does make retrofits other than what manufacturers might offer themselves.
          I'm not sure what your budget is, but parties like Cinemechanica offer laser-retrofit solutions that come with actual warranty.

          Comment

          • Mark Gulbrandsen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3093
            • Nashville, TN

            #6
            Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen

            I'm not sure what your budget is, but parties like Cinemechanica offer laser-retrofit solutions that come with actual warranty.
            Would be willing to bet that Cinemeccanica is just distributing the same Chinese slide in replacements... Not everyone is rushing to build and sell these, because they are expensive. Plus, laser is not all it's made out to be.

            Comment

            • Marcel Birgelen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3619
              • Maastricht, NL

              #7
              Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen

              Would be willing to bet that Cinemeccanica is just distributing the same Chinese slide in replacements... Not everyone is rushing to build and sell these, because they are expensive. Plus, laser is not all it's made out to be.
              I'm not sure how custom their solutions are, eventually most of their components will be some off-the-shelf components, which may not even be a bad choice. But they have done some impressive laser-retrofits over the years. While no laser solution is really cheap, the advantage of choosing a more local integrator, especially one with some track record, is the warranty and service they provide. Since Juan Jose seems to be in Spain, I was thinking, that a Europe-based integrator of such solutions may be preferable to some Chinese outfit. Their retrofits may not be cheap, but from what I've seen, it usually beats buying a new projector, otherwise a retrofit would make little sense in most situations.

              Comment

              • Mark Gulbrandsen
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3093
                • Nashville, TN

                #8
                The Chinese guy only sells them... he does not travel around installing them. But you can go there for training if you want to learn how...

                Comment

                • Marcel Birgelen
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3619
                  • Maastricht, NL

                  #9
                  Getting back to the original question: How old is this DP2K-10S? In case of a light engine failure, no extended warranty and a supposed limited budget, I'd probably rather look for a refurbished DP2K-10S and would use the old projector for spare-parts. A light-engine replacement will probably be in the same ballpark and finding a refurbished light-engine sitting somewhere for exactly that model will be pretty hard. Also, how much warranty will you get on that refurbished light engine? Who's going to install it?

                  Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
                  The Chinese guy only sells them... he does not travel around installing them. But you can go there for training if you want to learn how...
                  So, he's a distributor for ALPD/Appotronics?
                  I'm not sure if they're the "only" supplier of retrofit laser technology, I'm not even sure if Cinnemechanica sources from them either, but they do have a large install base. They're also the company behind the Espedeo Supra-5000.

                  Comment

                  • Mark Gulbrandsen
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3093
                    • Nashville, TN

                    #10
                    [QUOTE=Marcel Birgelen;n38289]Getting back to the original question: How old is this DP2K-10S? In case of a light engine failure, no extended warranty and a supposed limited budget, I'd probably rather look for a refurbished DP2K-10S and would use the old projector for spare-parts. A light-engine replacement will probably be in the same ballpark and finding a refurbished light-engine sitting somewhere for exactly that model will be pretty hard. Also, how much warranty will you get on that refurbished light engine? Who's going to install it?

                    Marcel,

                    Some countries make it probitively expensive to bring in used gear, so repairs are sometimes the cheapest route. New gear may have lower duties and taxes, but then costs a lot more to buy. So it can be kind of a quagmire. Sending your own property to another country for repair and getting it back may result in little or no import taxes to get it back. Light engines are not difficult to remove and reinstall. I've replaced close to a dozen engines since DC came out. You just go through the whole setup routine again. Many of the very first NEC 3240's had DMD's that lost pixels over the first few months of use, replaced 5 of those engines. I had a theater that did some concrete demolition with a Jack hammer, and that killed all three DMD's. Honestly, having worked for some years as an optical and camera tech at Canon before working in this Biz, I wouldn't hesitate to repair - clean light engines myself. TV camera lenses are way more complex than a simple bundle of prisms. But DMD's are not available here.



                    "So, he's a distributor for ALPD/Appotronics?
                    I'm not sure if they're the "only" supplier of retrofit laser technology, I'm not even sure if Cinnemechanica sources from them either, but they do have a large install base. They're also the company behind the Espedeo Supra-5000."

                    If he has an exclusive, it would likely only be in Asia. He is a distributer for Appotronics. But to be honest, even the cost of those drop in replacements that I was quoted is quite high... Installing them in even a 6 or 7 year old projector just doesn't make sense. He does have quite the warehouse and shop. Hundreds of just about all makes of used projectors, sound, parts, etc, in stock. Lots of Sony stuff too. Those must have been popular in some parts of Asia.

                    Comment

                    • Jason Speers
                      Newbie
                      • Sep 2020
                      • 14
                      • Oakville, Ontario, Canada

                      #11
                      Thanks guys. Looking at used projectors instead is a good plan as well. Appreciate the feedback

                      Comment

                      • Mark Gulbrandsen
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 3093
                        • Nashville, TN

                        #12
                        I've sent contact info to those that asked. Not going to post it here as there are likely US Dealers that also sell the Appotronics stuff. If you are in a foreign country and want to know, then PM me...
                        Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 06-02-2024, 08:40 AM.

                        Comment

                        Working...