Replacement Drive Sled for GDC Enterprise Storage Plus

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Barry Floyd
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 136
    • Lebanon, Tennessee

    #1

    Replacement Drive Sled for GDC Enterprise Storage Plus

    I've got a GDC Enterprise Storage Plus hard drive array in my projector rack at the drive-in. It's got 3 active hard drives mounted in lockable / removable drive sleds, plus 2 other drive sleds that are empty. One of my employees hit the front of one of my hard drives with a mop handle the other night and broke the lock off the front of the drive sled, so now the spring loaded handle is popped out. I can elsily swap that sled out with one of the sleds that are empty, but I do want to replace the broken one.
    I've tried looking on Amazon for a replacement, but I'm not sure what exactly to search for. Anybody got a idea what the technical term is I should be searching for?
  • Leo Enticknap
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3572
    • Loma Linda, CA

    #2
    I suspect you'll have to get one from GDC. If it's not urgent, I can try to remember to nab one for you the next time we're asked to haul away a deceased SX-2000 for e-waste (in which case it's yours for the cost of shipping), but cannot give you any guarantee as to when that might be.

    I would dearly love to identify a source of server drive sleds, especially for Dolby IMSes and Barco ICMPs. That would enable us to give customers the ability to have a set of emergency backup drives for far less than the cost of buying a set of OEM drives in sleds. However, the last I looked into this, it's simply impossible to buy them separately, unless you buy a pallet load of 10,000 from the same factories in China that Dolby and Barco get theirs from.

    Comment

    • Steve Guttag
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3777
      • Annapolis, MD

      #3
      Leo, he is looking for the orange(ish) Enterprise drive caddy. You are thinking of those translucentish ones used on the box servers (the ones where you figure out to put it into lock before closing the handle).

      Comment

      • Barry Floyd
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 136
        • Lebanon, Tennessee

        #4
        Leo, he is looking for the orange(ish) Enterprise drive caddy.
        Yes, exactly right. The drive is still in the machine, and I've got a piece of gaffers tape holding the orange handle down until i can find a replacement. Kinda "janky" looking, but it works.

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #5
          My google-foo is on point tonight (screen grabbed a sled photo from the manual and did a reverse image search)

          iStarUSA Group appears to have been an OEM compatible sled manufacturer. Believe it or not WALMART freaking has em. (Sans the orange and the tri-key lock, but otherwise seem 100% compatible). Just in time for Cyber Monday perhaps?

          https://www.walmart.com/browse/0?fac...iStarUSA+Group

          The handle patterning was the confirming detail for me:

          iStar.png

          I originally found a link to a 5.25in to 2x 3.5/2.5in adapter sleds kit, which had the best match for the tray design. Not sure the rails in the above single units are compatible or not? But at 25$ each seems worth a shot.

          https://www.walmart.com/ip/iStarUSA-...Rack/611221496

          (edited to provide better links)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ryan Gallagher; 11-15-2024, 10:48 PM.

          Comment

          • Ryan Gallagher
            Film God
            • Nov 2022
            • 2855
            • Austin, Texas, USA

            #6
            if it works out there are even discounted prices for sets of 3 further down the iStar listings page. (20$ each).

            Comment

            • Leo Enticknap
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3572
              • Loma Linda, CA

              #7
              Sorry; forgot that GDC old rack servers used a different model of sled to that in the external RAID boxes.

              Comment

              Working...