Is there a way to control the cp500

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Raia
    Pro Film Handler
    • Dec 2024
    • 286
    • Newburgh, New York

    #1

    Is there a way to control the cp500

    Is there a way, other that the dolby remote controller, to edit the cp500 settings? I believe the Load500 program only downloads the settings and is not editable. The problem is one of the buttons on the front panel is not working and I cant access all the menus or options. I am able to select all the buttons on the cp500 front panel via the automation link to my USL ECI-60.
  • Tony Bandiera Jr
    Expert Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 720
    • Moreland, Idaho

    #2
    Yes, you can also control it with serial commands through the RS 232 port. (Same with the CP 650) You can call up the buttons, set fader levels and toggle muting. IIRC the CP 500 service manual has the list of commands. You will need some sort of interface (Computer running in terminal mode, AMX, Crestron or other automation controller, cinema server programmed to send serial strings, etc.)

    It is far too complex to explain on a forum thread. You appear to be at a point where you'll need to bring in a technician to handle setting up the hardware and software to get you up and running.

    Comment

    • Frank Raia
      Pro Film Handler
      • Dec 2024
      • 286
      • Newburgh, New York

      #3
      ah ha.. new there had to be a way. I do not see a service manual in the warehouse here. Do you know where I can find it? and by the way thank you !!

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #4
        The manual is hosted in the warehouse, but I'm not sure the big list has a link to it.
        https://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/...DOLBYCP500.pdf

        Comment

        • Tony Bandiera Jr
          Expert Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 720
          • Moreland, Idaho

          #5
          I have to correct some information from my previous post...the CP 650 can be controlled through the serial port BUT the CP 500 cannot. With a colleague, we had figured out a way to use the remote data bus that was used with the remotes Dolby made that were specific to the CP500.

          However, it was very fussy to set up and gave us mixed results. We had to get one of the Dolby engineers involved to help us as Dolby refused to show us the protocol and commands.

          I also looked back over Frank's posts and saw that this is evidently for use in his own personal screening room. I stand by the advice that he should try to get a technician in to help, but if not, controlling it through the USL ECI-60 is his best option (unless he can find a new front panel that is fully functional on fleabay.)

          Comment

          • Steve Guttag
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3777
            • Annapolis, MD

            #6
            The commands for the CP500 exist but I have never seen them. The way I know that they exist is that Pennywise could connect to the CP500 and track both the fader and format and it was 2-way communication.

            I, once, made a wireless remote control for the CP500 fader. I found it easier to just get the CP500's wired remove fader and then tack onto that to ramp up/down the shaft encoder's signals than to go through the hassle of getting the serial information and developing that communication.

            Comment

            • Ryan Gallagher
              Film God
              • Nov 2022
              • 2855
              • Austin, Texas, USA

              #7
              I thought this topic was familiar from Frank who had asked earlier in DC category:
              https://www.film-tech.com/vbb/forum/...-cp500-problem

              I gather you were able to work around your bad front panel format buttons via the remote "commands", but now you are into the weeds of trying to adjust settings without a fully working front panel? We are talking about doing more than simply controlling the fader/formats right? (That part is possible).

              If you only need to tweak it once in a while, borrowing a working front panel might be an option? Otherwise just look for another CP500 for parts. They are all over ebay for very cheap. Unless dolby had some specific software, Load500 was only for backing up or pushing a full configuration dumps.

              With that said, if you are good reverse engineering files, you might be able to just do a backup, and reverse engineer that .dmp file. But that seems like a horribly slow way to tune A-Chain or B-Chain, and also a good way to brick it. Note both Load500 manuals talk about getting a TXT version of parameters that are printable by ticking some options during the export, but it won't use that human readable section when loading from backup.

              Also note the warehouse has distinct User Manual and Installation manuals, as well as that schematics file I linked in the other thread.

              Installation & Alignment Manual
              https://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/...DOLBYCP500.pdf

              User's Manual
              https://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/...cp500users.pdf

              Reference Diagrams
              https://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/...500REFDIAG.pdf

              Load500v2 Manual
              https://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/.../LOAD500v2.pdf

              Load500v1 Manual


              But I don't think any of this quite describes a method that solves your non-working front-panel woes.​

              Comment

              • Frank Raia
                Pro Film Handler
                • Dec 2024
                • 286
                • Newburgh, New York

                #8
                Thank you everyone for the replies! I did just purchase another CP500 for cheap and will use it for parts. I guess I can try to sell the internal boards. I did take the front panel apart and found that the button that don't work (sk4) has a bad micro switch. Once the new unit comes I will switch it out with the working front panel and fix the not working one and keep it for back up. One of the boards capacitor seems a little fishy also so I will change that out also. I just cant let this thing go, I will Frankenstein it till it just blows up !!!

                Comment

                • Frank Raia
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Dec 2024
                  • 286
                  • Newburgh, New York

                  #9
                  To UPDATE this:

                  The micro switch was bad and had a local electronics repair shop put in a new switch. That did fix it. The red selector lights on the left side still dont work but that is okay.

                  Comment

                  Working...