Barco Series 4 software update release thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #31
    Christie never used TRP chips. All of their 4K machines, including Series 4 were with conventional 1.38" chips. They ARE slated to use the SST based .98"

    NEC (pronounced SHARP)...who do you know that has one of their TRP based projectors? So, we're talking the NC1843ML, NC2043ML, and NC2443ML (same projector with a different clip-on butt for different light levels). I know of no users of it. Normally, the Sharp/NEC crowd is about cost and that line of projectors isn't particularly cheap. Furthermore, the benefit of that line is that the light source is changeable as an assembly with a core charge. And that process is not particularly cheap either. I don't doubt that they've sold some but I sure don't know of any in my circles. It is guaranteed that they have stuck pixels too. I believe TI has canned that chip due to its absurdly high failure rate (stuck pixels).

    Comment

    • Leo Enticknap
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3572
      • Loma Linda, CA

      #32
      Originally posted by Steve Guttag
      I just checked in the documentation section of the support site and while I don't see specific instructions for conversion, there is a TRP to SST upgrade sheet. It would appear that the parts include the Light Processor (sort of a given) and a Light Pipe "Kit" The part number listed is not showing on the parts page since, likely it is not, on its own an orderable kit...just when a projector is being converted. So, what's involved is anyone's guess...all of the way up to changing the entire light pipe assembly with lenses/mirrors.
      In which case it's a major exercise that only senior techs with several years of experience will be able to do, with the result that Barco will likely have to continue to make TRP engines available as a replacement option for failed ones. I did the Level 2 training class in March 2023. This included removing the light pipe, disassembling, reassembling, and adjusting its internal components. But I haven't had to use that training in any service call since, and would definitely need to go back through the slides, my notes, and the service manual before doing it for real.

      When the Series 4s came out, it registered in my mind that one major design difference from Series 2 is that in a Series 2 projector, the light engine and light pipe are an integrated, single assembly; whereas in Series 4s, they are separate parts (hence an adjustment to the fold mirror being needed frequently when swapping out engines). At the time I thought that was likely sensible, because it saved costs and I couldn't think of any scenario in which both the engine and the pipe would need to be replaced. But now that scenario has arrived.

      Originally posted by Steve Guttag
      Note, to gain access to one of the lock down screws on the SST, one will need to remove the light processor cooling fan assembly.
      That's just three screws and a power connector, so only a minor inconvenience. However, if any other unusual tools are needed to complete the job (for example, instead of a 12" T20 for the three anchoring bolts, an even longer one, or a 12" T something else), I hope that will be clearly flagged up in the documentation or training provided for the conversion.

      Originally posted by Steve Guttag
      They made a point of saying that the high-speed cables are NOT the same between the TRP and SST and that the SST cables are on the delicate side and susceptible to being creased/damaged. Routing is specific and to have gentle curves to them.
      The mini SAS cables used in the TRP aren't exactly designed to wishstand a drone strike, either. I've had to replace a few that spontaneously failed, and in the Level 2 class the instructor told us that this was a common fault, so much so that he advised us to check for this (by swapping colors around at the connection to the backplane) before determining that a formatter had gone bad and asking for a new light engine to be shipped. If this is true, I find it frustrating that they don't supply a fresh set of cables with every new light engine.

      Comment

      • Steve Guttag
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3777
        • Annapolis, MD

        #33
        I guess, ignorance is bliss. No mention of the SAS cables being a common failure point...I've had zero failures. FWIW, I don't disconnect them from the signal backplane...just from the light engine formatters. So, they do get handled in a minimalist fashion and only handled by their connectors.

        On the fan, they note that you do NOT need to even remove the power cord...just the screws to move it out of your way as you just need access to the hole for the Torx driver. The service manual does show what it takes to swap the Mk II stuff, as components, not as a conversion. I think a T20 (long) and a T10 driver gets you over 99% of the fasteners in an S4. FYI, the driver I got for the T20 is 300mm long Wera 5028070002 It travels with my laptop. I really like how minimal your "toolkit" can be on the Barco S4.

        Comment

        • Steve Guttag
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3777
          • Annapolis, MD

          #34
          Barco S4 1.9.7 has been released.
          It would appear to provide fixes to the SST based SP4K projectors and updates the ICMP software. The ICP-D remains unchanged.

          It would not surprise me if Barco releases a succession of firmware updates until they get a degree of stability.

          Release notes

          Included versions
          • This version includes the ICMP Software 1.4.4.30 and ICP-D software 1.2.1.16
          Bug Fixes:
          • Fix an issue where update failed on some new Mk II version of SP4K-12C / SP4K-15C / SP4K-20C / SP4K-25C
          • ICMP: Fix an issue where the process in charge of SNMP was crashing
          Note
          • The new encryption mechanism is bringing some limitation on the way to handle update, backup and restore
          • Upgrade: need to install v1.8 first before to upgrade from v1.7 to v1.9
          • Downgrade: need to install v1.8 first before to downgrade from v1.9 to v1.7
          • Backup package generated in v1.7 can be restored on v1.8 but not on v1.9
          • Backup package generated in v1.8 can be restored on V1.9 but not on v1.7
          • Backup package generated in v1.9 can be restored on V1.8 but not on v1.7
          ​

          Comment

          • Leo Enticknap
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3572
            • Loma Linda, CA

            #35
            I wonder what is in the ICMP and ICP-D updates. They don't appear to be available in standalone versions for Series 2 on the website, which leads me to suspect that the changes only affect these boards' interaction with Series 4 projectors.

            Comment

            • Arno Yu
              Newbie
              • Apr 2022
              • 5
              • chongqing,china

              #36
              Could you please send me the latest firmware versions for both the S4 and the ICMP-X?

              Comment

              • Steve Guttag
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3777
                • Annapolis, MD

                #37
                Barco S4 update package 1.9.8 has just been released. The notable update includes an ICMP update (but not ICP-D) (ICMP-X software is also updated on its page too).


                1.1 Version 1.9.8 (Service release)

                This version includes the ICMP Software 1.4.4.31 and ICP-D software 1.2.1.16

                New feature:
                • • Support of new Mk II version of SP4K-P / SP4K-P+ / FREYA / FREYA+ / SP4K-13CHC
                • • ICMP: Increase internal logging regarding FTP monitoring, PNG subtitles and SMART info
                Bug Fix:
                • • Fix an issue where devices can’t be edited on the configuration / Media Server automation / Devices page
                1.2 Version 1.9.7 (Service release)

                This version includes the ICMP Software 1.4.4.30 and ICP-D software 1.2.1.16

                Bug Fixes:
                • • Fix an issue where update failed on some new Mk II version of SP4K-12C / SP4K-15C / SP4K-20C / SP4K-25C
                • • ICMP: Fix an issue where the process in charge of SNMP was crashing
                ​

                Comment

                • Steve Guttag
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3777
                  • Annapolis, MD

                  #38
                  Barco S4 update package 1.9.9 has been released. This one also includes an ICMP update, not ICP-D:
                  Release notes

                  Included versions
                  • This version includes the ICMP Software 1.4.4.32 and ICP-D software 1.2.1.16
                  New Features:
                  • ICMP: Support LUT-SCC correction in 2 dimensions.
                  limitation:
                  • ICMP: LUT-SCC 2D correction is not supported on SP2K models
                  ​

                  Comment

                  • Steve Guttag
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3777
                    • Annapolis, MD

                    #39
                    Barco S4 1.9.11 has been released. No changes to the ICP-D but the ICMP family are updated. Of note, they are disabling the contamination sensor. I would appear, that in 1.9.10, they noted that the new fan controller board (required for the Mk II version light engine) wasn't working. In 1.9.11, they disable it for all FMCB versions.

                    1 Release Notes

                    1.1 Version 1.9.11 (Service release)

                    This version includes the ICMP Software 1.4.4.33 and ICP-D software 1.2.1.16

                    Change:
                    • • Contamination sensor value is now disabled and will report 0 in the metrics on all models
                    Bug Fixes:
                    • • Fix an issue where setting the CCB IP to 172.17.x.y wasn’t working.
                    • • Improve light source support on the SP4K-13CHC/ FREYA/ FREYA+ / SP4K-P / SP4K-P+
                    • • ICMP: Improve logging of PNG subtitles count in SMPTE content
                    • • ICMP: Fix an issue where the “non latin” characters were wrongly displayed in the Player page
                    Limitation:
                    • • LUT-SCC 2D correction is not supported on SP2K models
                    1.2 Version 1.9.10 (Service release)

                    This version includes the ICMP Software 1.4.4.32 and ICP-D software 1.2.1.16

                    Change:
                    • • Contamination sensor value is now disabled and will report 0 in the metrics on new generation of FMCB
                    Bug Fixes:
                    • • Fix some issue where cooling configuration was wrongly activated on some SP4K-P / SP4K-P+ / FREYA / FREYA+ / SP4K-13CHC
                    • • Fix an issue where a wrong factory backup package was applied on some SP4K-P / SP4K-P+ / FREYA / FREYA+ / SP4K-13CHC
                    Limitation:
                    • • LUT-SCC 2D correction is not supported on SP2K models
                    ​

                    Comment

                    • Leo Enticknap
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 3572
                      • Loma Linda, CA

                      #40
                      So the situation is that the new hardware variant of FMCB cannot read the airflow sensor behind the card cage air filter accurately? If so, I'm disappointed that this sensor has been disabled, even for projectors that still have the old variant of FMCB. The projector warning you when the air filters were full enough to require washing was marketed as a major selling point of the Series 4 range when it was launched in 2019. Given the logistical issue of washing those air filters (if the site doesn't have a spare set, the filters have to be left to dry for 12-24 hours, which affects when the washing can be done without losing shows), having advance warning of when cleaning is necessary is significantly useful.

                      Comment

                      • Steve Guttag
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 3777
                        • Annapolis, MD

                        #41
                        I would agree. I don't have any inside knowledge on this and read it in the release notes. The highest version of the software I have installed is 1.9.9 so all of those projectors still report the filter contamination (checked). I'm pretty sure one of the projectors has a newer style FMCB (it was replaced) but definitely doesn't have the daughterboard needed for the Mk II light engine/light path.

                        Yeah, having spare filters can be key. Furthermore, I think just replacing the pleated filter for the light engine is better than trying to clean it. You can run the metal filters through a dishwasher and do a decent enough job. The pleated filter isn't so easy and, in case you didn't know, is available separately.

                        Comment

                        • Leo Enticknap
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 3572
                          • Loma Linda, CA

                          #42
                          For a multiplex of Series 4s, it makes sense and is not too much of a financial burden to keep one complete spare set, which is then swapped in while another set is washed and dried. But if it's a single screen nonprofit arthouse, they're likely to find the cost of the spare set prohibitive, and it's a question of working the logistics to give the filters time to dry without losing any shows (e.g. do them just before the place closes for a couple of days over Christmas). It's usually do-able, but it takes planning, which is why the early warning provided by that sensor was so useful.

                          I have been washing the cloth/fiber light engine filters thus far. They don't look as crisp afterwards, but they still seem to work OK. Earlier this year I had to replace a failed mini SAS cable to one of the formatters, in an SP4K-25C that I installed just before the covid lockdowns, and for which that filter has now been washed three or four times. When I opened up the light engine compartment, it was nice and clean inside.

                          Comment

                          • Leo Enticknap
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 3572
                            • Loma Linda, CA

                            #43
                            I've just installed 1.9.11 on an SP4K-20C, and encountered exactly the same behavior as described in post 13 above (this is not the same projector referred to in that post). Attempting to execute a macro causes the web UI to say "busy" for several minutes, before eventually timing out. Rolled the projector back to 1.9.9, and all was OK. I'm going to open a support case with Barco about this.

                            Comment

                            • Steve Guttag
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3777
                              • Annapolis, MD

                              #44
                              Wonderful news

                              Comment

                              • Leo Enticknap
                                Film God
                                • Jan 2020
                                • 3572
                                • Loma Linda, CA

                                #45
                                Response from Barco: "Indeed this is a bug, we already removed firmware 1.9.11 from the Barco website. We will fix it in the next release 1.9.12. In the meantime, the customer will need to downgrade their projector​."

                                Without wanting to sound smug, this validates my (and, I suspect that of pretty much everyone here) cautious approach to software/firmware updates. I tried 1.9.11 on this projector yesterday, because i knew that I'd be working on it for 2-3 hours afterwards, and would be able to test all the functionality that the end user requires of it thoroughly before hitting the road. In the process of doing that testing, I found the bug.

                                Also, kudos to Barco for being open, responsive, and confirming this quickly, so that I didn't have to waste any time investigating possible other causes.

                                Comment

                                Working...