Where to Find Cell Phone Trailers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Harry Smolin
    Pro Film Handler
    • Feb 2024
    • 158
    • Bedford, New York, USA

    #1

    Where to Find Cell Phone Trailers

    I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of where I can find a DCP cell phone policy trailer to use and how I would license its use ahead of films if I needed to. We usually get ours from the TrailMix, but the only one there as of now is Captain America and we're dropping that film this week. Thanks in advance for any information you can give.
  • Ryan Gallagher
    Film God
    • Nov 2022
    • 2855
    • Austin, Texas, USA

    #2
    Best option as far as rights are concerned is to make/shoot your own (or have the chain make one). Can author to a DCP easily and free using DCP-o-Matic etc.

    Comment

    • Randy Stankey
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1388
      • Erie, PA, USA

      #3
      Here is one I made, several years ago...



      If you like it, you can use it for free. I have it in DCP format. The file size is a little bit over 300 MB. If you want to use it, we can make arrangements to transfer it. (300 MB is too large to do it via Film-Tech.)

      If you want changes or customizations, I can probably do that. Send me a message. If we can work out a deal, I'll give it a try.

      If I was going to redo the trailer, I'd slow the pacing down and update the graphics to make it look a little bit less dated.

      Comment

      • Leo Enticknap
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3572
        • Loma Linda, CA

        #4
        I'd never be able to clear the rights for it, but the "no cellphones" trailer I'd like to make would consist of a few seconds of Jimmy Cagney being dragged kicking and screaming to the electric chair in Angels With Dirty Faces, fade to black, and then a title: "He shouldn't have used his cellphone in the movie theater!"

        Comment

        • James Gardiner
          Expert Film Handler
          • Nov 2021
          • 500
          • Melbourne, Australia

          #5
          I can send this one I had made years ago to people...


          It is from Australia so may have an Australian twang to the voice over..

          Comment

          • Frank Cox
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 2314
            • Melville Saskatchewan

            #6
            I occasionally use your trailer here, James. I get nice comments about it too. "Hey, that Australian thing is pretty good". I've heard that a few times from my customers.

            Comment

            • Stefan Scholz
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 298
              • Berlin Germany

              #7
              Thanks for reminding me, James. My brother, who stays with me this weekend, reminded me I must have it somewhere. He remembered it, when I clicked on your link, and the Popcorn snipe from around +/- 2010.
              And yes, people liked them.

              Comment

              • Mark Gulbrandsen
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3093
                • Nashville, TN

                #8
                There are also lots on Youtube. Also many generic clips too.

                Comment

                • Ed Gordon
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 365
                  • Seattle, WA, USA

                  #9
                  Here is a classic from 15 years ago:

                  Comment

                  • Tony Bandiera Jr
                    Expert Film Handler
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 720
                    • Moreland, Idaho

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
                    There are also lots on Youtube. Also many generic clips too.

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akr8...Qe-PoDCvbJHYqn
                    It would be very tacky to use another theatre's branded clips if you are not part of said brand. They do make for good examples of the style you might want to try though.

                    Some of the generic clips I've seen on YT so far are pretty bad though... but since I don't operate a theatre I haven't spent time going down that rabbit hole.

                    Comment

                    • Ryan Gallagher
                      Film God
                      • Nov 2022
                      • 2855
                      • Austin, Texas, USA

                      #11
                      In glancing at many hosted on YT, I'm surprised how many chains managed to cleverly get a cell network sponsorship of their no cell phones policy/card. lol

                      Everything is an ad.

                      Comment

                      • Ryan Gallagher
                        Film God
                        • Nov 2022
                        • 2855
                        • Austin, Texas, USA

                        #12
                        then there is an Alamo approach if you want to go that route

                        Comment

                        • Randy Stankey
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 1388
                          • Erie, PA, USA

                          #13
                          Trace the phone number, find the caller's address and have your lawyer send them a letter, banning them from your establishment.

                          They have recorded proof, time and date, of the person's disruptive behavior, their remorseless attitude and their admission that they commit disruptive acts, in public, on a regular basis. That is plenty of reason for banning somebody.

                          Then, at the end of the video, post a copy of the letter, too!

                          Just bleep out the swearing...low class in public. Besides, bleeping could be funnier if it's done correctly. (For instance, use the sound of a squeaky dog toy.)

                          Comment

                          • Ryan Gallagher
                            Film God
                            • Nov 2022
                            • 2855
                            • Austin, Texas, USA

                            #14
                            That was probably an artifact of the times, not sure anyone leaves long winded ranting voicemails to management anymore. They just post on yelp etc.

                            Comment

                            • Leo Enticknap
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3572
                              • Loma Linda, CA

                              #15
                              That Alamo PSA would be great to play immediately before Dog Man, Paddington, or any kids' movie you care to mention! She's definitely challenging Tarantino for the f-words per minute of screen time record.

                              Not to mention the fact that she seems somewhat confused. She starts by claiming that she was using her phone as a flashlight (i.e. not texting), but then immediately afterwards claims that she is free to text.

                              Comment

                              Working...