Barco ICMP-X with CP950A Atmos gotcha

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Carsten Kurz
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1481
    • Germany

    #16
    Originally posted by Steve Guttag
    This sort of begs the question. If a studio single-inventories future titles such that an IAB version, that includes its backup version in 5.1 (anything Sony) or 7.1 (most everyone else), the ICMP series wouldn't acknowledge being able to play the non-IAB tracks.
    ISDCF/SMPTE does not endorse backup tracks in IAB DCPs. Stupid. And no one so far seems to care, I always see 7.1 or 5.1 backup main sound with active signals.

    Our standard ICMP, without ATMOS license, running current software, sees, ingests and plays IAB CPLs, I just tested it with two IAB trailers.

    Comment

    • Steve Guttag
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3777
      • Annapolis, MD

      #17
      I just commissioned a new ICMP-X today, in a DP2K-15C. It had no problem seeing, ingesting and playing a Dolby Atmos track (as a test). So, the mystery continues as to why they were not showing for Leo. Perhaps because his had the Atmos license?

      Comment

      • Carsten Kurz
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1481
        • Germany

        #18
        Maybe he tripped about the filters the ICMP ingest window offers. I regularly get confused because some CPLs I am expecting to see don't turn up on our ICMP. Then it's usually one of the filters, or the folder depth/fast scan option tricking me.

        Comment

        • Steve Guttag
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3777
          • Annapolis, MD

          #19
          Oh, and to be clear, the unit I installed yesterday, is not in an Atmos system. I merely had some clips with me on a thumb drive to test with. The only Dolby sound processor in the booth is a DA20.

          Comment

          • Ioannis Syrogiannis
            Pro Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 286
            • Reykjavík, Iceland

            #20
            Originally posted by Carsten Kurz
            Maybe he tripped about the filters the ICMP ingest window offers. I regularly get confused because some CPLs I am expecting to see don't turn up on our ICMP. Then it's usually one of the filters, or the folder depth/fast scan option tricking me.
            While that makes sense, it's less probable to have sorted out only the IAB/Atmos DCPs. It would have made more sense if the DCPs were not -say- test content, but he would choose to show test, or if he would eventually figure it out and disable the filter, at the same moment he made the configuration change, forgetting all about it(?). (I would guess that changing the configuration would not call for reboot and discarding the cache of the browser, even though Leo mentioned that he discarded the cache*.)
            Leo being familiar with troubleshooting, it's not impossible, but very unlikely.

            *Leo, from what you write, I am not sure if you know: If you press Ctrl along with F5, the cache of the page is discarded before refreshing.

            Comment

            • Leo Enticknap
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3572
              • Loma Linda, CA

              #21
              Originally posted by Steve Guttag
              I just commissioned a new ICMP-X today, in a DP2K-15C. It had no problem seeing, ingesting and playing a Dolby Atmos track (as a test)
              Was it connected to a CP950A, and if so, did it have the "mode 1" parameter set?

              Originally posted by Carsten Kurz
              Maybe he tripped about the filters the ICMP ingest window offers.
              I'm 100% sure that I didn't do so intentionally, and 99.9% sure that I didn't do so accidentally. Also, that wouldn't explain why setting the mode 1 parameter on the CP950A revealed the Atmos CPLs.

              Comment

              Working...