Well here's a weird one to start the weekend.
At the tail end of a service call, the main business of which was unrelated, I was asked to check out an IMS2000 in another room that was apparently refusing to play encrypted DCPs. As soon as I set eyes on the faceplate, I jumped to the conclusion that there was no mystery as to why:
image.png
No SM lights at all should mean that the media block side of it is completely buggered; a green on the left-hand SMS light and nothing on the right is supposed to mean that it's still booting. But the web UI looked entirely normal, including a green indication for the security manager! The only thing a log analysis complained about was that the firmware was not current (it was on 4.6.11 as I found it; current is 4.6.15). The tech at the location told me that he'd updated the software and SM in an attempt to install the certificate extension, and then installed that extension successfully, but that he was unable to install the firmware update.
I was able to install the firmware update, and was hoping that doing so would restore normal indicator LED functionality; but it didn't. However, after doing this, it accepted the encrypted content tester DCP and the KDM for it, and played it successfully!
The tech didn't know if the indicator LEDs were in this condition before he installed any of the updates. Apart from those LEDs, this IMS2000 appears to be working normally and in good health. I wondered if anyone else has encountered behavior like this, and if so, if it can safely be ignored, or if it is likely an early warning of more serious problems.
At the tail end of a service call, the main business of which was unrelated, I was asked to check out an IMS2000 in another room that was apparently refusing to play encrypted DCPs. As soon as I set eyes on the faceplate, I jumped to the conclusion that there was no mystery as to why:
image.png
No SM lights at all should mean that the media block side of it is completely buggered; a green on the left-hand SMS light and nothing on the right is supposed to mean that it's still booting. But the web UI looked entirely normal, including a green indication for the security manager! The only thing a log analysis complained about was that the firmware was not current (it was on 4.6.11 as I found it; current is 4.6.15). The tech at the location told me that he'd updated the software and SM in an attempt to install the certificate extension, and then installed that extension successfully, but that he was unable to install the firmware update.
I was able to install the firmware update, and was hoping that doing so would restore normal indicator LED functionality; but it didn't. However, after doing this, it accepted the encrypted content tester DCP and the KDM for it, and played it successfully!
The tech didn't know if the indicator LEDs were in this condition before he installed any of the updates. Apart from those LEDs, this IMS2000 appears to be working normally and in good health. I wondered if anyone else has encountered behavior like this, and if so, if it can safely be ignored, or if it is likely an early warning of more serious problems.
Comment