Not at all off-the-shelf. I was just making the point that in terms of resolution, what you suggested would be more detailed (and more bright), and a full chip would be even more so. My point was purely hypothetical and didn't have any practical significance, other than to underline that readily configured presets(/implementations) are standing between uncommon F-220, to not yet considered (C-220) and finally to never to be considered (C + Anamorphic that is already as an idea banned by DCI).
It was just to consequently recognise that Frank's suggestion (not the use of an anamorphic lens), has its merits.
Last year, I had to screen two documentaries on that format. "Apollo 11" and "For Sama".
When I asked for a 2.20 test patern for "Apollo 11", the distributors involved suggested to just zoom on the movie, "as other cinemas did..." and I felt quite a fool to need to explain why that would lead to an out of focus presentation.
We reached middle ground on providing me the "Dunkirk" test patern that was available and I kept the preset on each projector since and used it for "For Sama", for which AR 2.20 is still a mystery to me.
That did make me reflect on the fact that there are more obvious problems on using such aspect ratios and less obvious ones. And on top of that, not all productions are thorough (or expensive) enough to support their aspect ratio choice fairly.
It was just to consequently recognise that Frank's suggestion (not the use of an anamorphic lens), has its merits.
Last year, I had to screen two documentaries on that format. "Apollo 11" and "For Sama".
When I asked for a 2.20 test patern for "Apollo 11", the distributors involved suggested to just zoom on the movie, "as other cinemas did..." and I felt quite a fool to need to explain why that would lead to an out of focus presentation.
We reached middle ground on providing me the "Dunkirk" test patern that was available and I kept the preset on each projector since and used it for "For Sama", for which AR 2.20 is still a mystery to me.
That did make me reflect on the fact that there are more obvious problems on using such aspect ratios and less obvious ones. And on top of that, not all productions are thorough (or expensive) enough to support their aspect ratio choice fairly.

Comment