This is going to be a bit of a challenge:
image.png
Went to do a planned maintenance call at a single screen independent yesterday, to include a lamp change. Problem: I could not pull the lamphouse module out after undoing the three screws. The cause turned out to be that the prong on the start pulse generator had fused totally and utterly solid to the brass cup in the anode connector on the lamphouse module. The owner told me that a few months ago, the projector was accidentally run for a day with the exhaust fan off. I also found the coolant level barely on the minimum mark and with a lot of goo deposited in the reservoir cap and neck, with says to me overheating and evaporation, and that the overheating also caused the two anode pieces to weld themselves together.
As you can see in the pic, I tried placing the blade of a large, flathead screwdriver where the two pieces meet and giving it a couple of moderate whacks with a hammer, with no luck. I didn't want to use more than minimal force, in case I accidentally caused damage that made the projector inoperable. There are around 60 hours left on the lamp warranty and it still works as of now, which gives me a little time to figure out how to fix this, along with awaiting the delivery of a replacement SPG and anode assembly.
The question is how to extract both the SPG and the lamphouse module from the projector, given that they are now a single unit, and an internal bulkhead prevents pulling them both out as one from either the card cage side or the light engine side. My thinking as of now is to remove the assembly containing the cold mirror and its fan. This should give me enough room to get in with a hacksaw or a Dremel, and cut through the fused piece.
I wondered if anyone has encountered this before, and if so, has figured out a somewhat less medieval way of liberating the stuck components?
image.png
Went to do a planned maintenance call at a single screen independent yesterday, to include a lamp change. Problem: I could not pull the lamphouse module out after undoing the three screws. The cause turned out to be that the prong on the start pulse generator had fused totally and utterly solid to the brass cup in the anode connector on the lamphouse module. The owner told me that a few months ago, the projector was accidentally run for a day with the exhaust fan off. I also found the coolant level barely on the minimum mark and with a lot of goo deposited in the reservoir cap and neck, with says to me overheating and evaporation, and that the overheating also caused the two anode pieces to weld themselves together.
As you can see in the pic, I tried placing the blade of a large, flathead screwdriver where the two pieces meet and giving it a couple of moderate whacks with a hammer, with no luck. I didn't want to use more than minimal force, in case I accidentally caused damage that made the projector inoperable. There are around 60 hours left on the lamp warranty and it still works as of now, which gives me a little time to figure out how to fix this, along with awaiting the delivery of a replacement SPG and anode assembly.
The question is how to extract both the SPG and the lamphouse module from the projector, given that they are now a single unit, and an internal bulkhead prevents pulling them both out as one from either the card cage side or the light engine side. My thinking as of now is to remove the assembly containing the cold mirror and its fan. This should give me enough room to get in with a hacksaw or a Dremel, and cut through the fused piece.
I wondered if anyone has encountered this before, and if so, has figured out a somewhat less medieval way of liberating the stuck components?
Comment