Unhelpful communication from Dolby about media block certificate extensions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Caleb Williams
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jun 2022
    • 149
    • Casper, Wyoming, USA

    #61
    Originally posted by Carsten Kurz
    You really need to have remote-in capabilities. Costs nothing, but can save a lot of time and hassle.
    For our circuits, we have a small in-house IT and tech team that use various tools for remote access that made upgrading certs for our fleet of 64 servers a complete breeze.

    A rather large caveat would be, make sure that your remote access solution is vetted up by an IT professional who can ensure a certain amount of security with the setup. Especially with a large portion of the equipment running outdated and insecure GNU software. Linux is a lot bigger target for bad actors than it used to be just because of it's increase in popularity as a desktop solution in recent years.

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #62
      Originally posted by Carsten Kurz
      You really need to have remote-in capabilities. Costs nothing, but can save a lot of time and hassle.
      I'm all for that feature, but one does have to be weary of how much time one is willing to volunteer from home, as has been discussed here before. I'll respond to emails, and I put in plenty of "because I want to" hours making custom walkin music playlists. But once you step into offsite support type roles we should probably have something in our contract to cover that, or at least a handshake agreement to allow billing of that time in hour or half hour minimums. If it involves IT my immediate managers try to keep those topics at arms length. And this upgrade definitely involves IT.

      We'll see what our new system becomes and if they are re-upping an actual tech contract with the new gear. I will expect remote access, at least for the servicing techs, will be part of the new equation.
      Last edited by Ryan Gallagher; 12-09-2025, 05:39 PM.

      Comment

      • Marco Giustini
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1169
        • Reading, UK

        #63
        but one does have to be weary of how much time one is willing to volunteer from home
        In my opinion remote access is a tool and shouldn't be free. Whether you work on the server locally or from home should still trigger compensation.

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #64
          Originally posted by Marco Giustini

          In my opinion remote access is a tool and shouldn't be free. Whether you work on the server locally or from home should still trigger compensation.
          Agree. I should clarify for anyone not familiar with my position, that I'm speaking from a house projectionist perspective, but I happen to be hourly and not salaried. Obviously no cinema tech should do any type of remote assistance free of charge. The area is a little muddier with us staff projectionists who tackle much of what a tech would do when on site (but definitely not all of it).

          Comment

          • Hong Sung Hyeok
            Film Handler
            • Dec 2020
            • 54
            • Seoul, South KOREA

            #65
            I said I was prepared, but several of our DCP2000s have gone to heaven...

            Comment

            Working...