Differences in 3D between 2K NEC and 4K NEC Laser Projectors

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Randy Stankey
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1388
    • Erie, PA, USA

    #16
    Originally posted by Marco Giustini
    Why would the eyes be asked to move independently?
    This assumes that we're talking about 3-D done right. Doesn't it?

    If the images aren't aligned the right way, within limits, or if one image jitters, differently than the other, yes, you can get headaches from watching too long. That even assumes that the video was synthesized in 3-D the right way, in the first place, let alone any technical issues within the theater, itself.

    Comment

    • Scotty Wright
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 138
      • Seattle, Washington

      #17
      Originally posted by Jim Cassedy
      (Just last week, during a major theater cleanup, we dumped several hundred pairs of 3D glasses that
      were still sitting in storage back stage, since 3D is officially 'dead' here
      )
      Jim, do you know if Barco has a 3D solution in the works for their HDR system? I haven’t heard one of yet, but curious if that’s another thing on their roadmap as they continue to expand.

      If it’s similar to Dolby Vision’s dichroic filter approach, a white screen wouldn’t be a problem for it at least.​

      Comment

      • Jim Cassedy
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1450
        • San Francisco

        #18
        Originally posted by Scotty Wright
        Jim, do you know if Barco has a 3D solution in the works for their HDR system?
        I haven’t heard one of yet, but curious if that’s another thing on their roadmap as
        they continue to expand. If it’s similar to Dolby Vision’s dichroic filter approach, a
        white screen wouldn’t be a problem for it at least.​
        I checked with a BARCO expert yesterday, and was told that the LS4K-HDR can do
        3D and HFR at the same time. I didn't ask him about the exact technology used to
        achieve this, but just thinking about the amount of technical trickery and image
        processing power and it must take to do light-steering HDR, + 3D + HFR, makes
        my head spin. While we have no plans to attempt that at this time, I think he
        mentioned that a couple of the AMC locations that have recently installed the
        LS4K-HDR system will be running the new Avatar flick in that format.

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #19
          Originally posted by Scotty Wright

          Jim, do you know if Barco has a 3D solution in the works for their HDR system? I haven’t heard one of yet, but curious if that’s another thing on their roadmap as they continue to expand.

          If it’s similar to Dolby Vision’s dichroic filter approach, a white screen wouldn’t be a problem for it at least.​
          I know my rumor-mill based interest to temporarily install a festival projector in March had to do with both HDR capabilities as well as 3D capabilities, but I can't make a claim that both would be deployed on a single screening... it might have been multiple screenings with those needs separately driving that interest. Not to mention I don't know if Barco can even do that combo yet.

          Comment

          Working...