As I recall, the servers were claimed to be 5-7 year items while the projectors were claimed to be 10-15 year items. What I've found is that the vast majority of servers are 10-15 year items with the failure rate going up markedly at around year 12. Like in all distributions, there are outliers. On the projector front, they too have, by and large, hit the 15-year mark and have kept going.
Then there is the distinction of what constitutes a dead projector. If an available, yet very expensive, part is required due to say a failed light engine/stuck pixel, bad formatter...etc...one may rationalize the cost of repair versus the investment in replacement. If we had a contest on what projector would yield the longest service life, on average, I would vote for the Christie CP2000S/SB. It is a series 1 projector that has very few problems. Yeah, the cheeseball D-Link switch in its pedestal will fail but that is nothing that $20 won't solve. I've also had the lamp fan fail because the "natural" colored squirrel cage blew apart from UV exposure (whuda thunk?). The original CP2000S are now over 20-years. Have no doubt that there are Barco DP100s out there but I dare say there are fewer by percentage. We definitely have Barco DP2000s out there that seem to keep trucking along and have sailed past the 15-year mark, despite my dire warnings to the owners about their impending doom.
Then there is the distinction of what constitutes a dead projector. If an available, yet very expensive, part is required due to say a failed light engine/stuck pixel, bad formatter...etc...one may rationalize the cost of repair versus the investment in replacement. If we had a contest on what projector would yield the longest service life, on average, I would vote for the Christie CP2000S/SB. It is a series 1 projector that has very few problems. Yeah, the cheeseball D-Link switch in its pedestal will fail but that is nothing that $20 won't solve. I've also had the lamp fan fail because the "natural" colored squirrel cage blew apart from UV exposure (whuda thunk?). The original CP2000S are now over 20-years. Have no doubt that there are Barco DP100s out there but I dare say there are fewer by percentage. We definitely have Barco DP2000s out there that seem to keep trucking along and have sailed past the 15-year mark, despite my dire warnings to the owners about their impending doom.
Comment