CRU rack mount USB3 readers and SSDs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Caleb Williams
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jun 2022
    • 149
    • Casper, Wyoming, USA

    #31
    Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher

    Yeah we would have that livestream concern too (although outbound livestream of stage events), unless we add a dedicated provider. It would be nice if maybe broadband DCDC had a "pause/resume" delivery mechanism... other than say unplugging it's network jack? Or perhaps limit deliveries to overnight hours? I assume it's some kind of rsync on the backend, so the caveman version of just unplugging it would work, but might send folks into a tailspin on their end. I'm sure our IT person could limit it's bandwidth at the network level too, but a permanent limit feels a bit defeating of the concept.

    Ah I see the confusion. The broadband provider Deluxe decided to use just so happened to coincide with the main internet provider for that theater. As far as I understand that may not always be the case. Although there are two cable modems in the building attached to the same broadband line, both modems still have access to the same amount of bandwidth. Think of it like you and your neighbor sharing a trunk to your local ISP.

    The potential for outages is fairly high, but perhaps terrestrial ISP's have more reliability than satellite because they don't suffer degradation from weather events generally.

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #32
      Originally posted by Caleb Williams


      Ah I see the confusion. The broadband provider Deluxe decided to use just so happened to coincide with the main internet provider for that theater. As far as I understand that may not always be the case. Although there are two cable modems in the building attached to the same broadband line, both modems still have access to the same amount of bandwidth. Think of it like you and your neighbor sharing a trunk to your local ISP.

      The potential for outages is fairly high, but perhaps terrestrial ISP's have more reliability than satellite because they don't suffer degradation from weather events generally.
      Ahh I see. So internet DCDC generally comes with a ISP as part of the package then (did not know this). In a perfect world one that differs or does not share bandwidth in any way with the venue ISPs... but wasn't so in your example.

      Comment

      • Frank Cox
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 2314
        • Melville Saskatchewan

        #33
        I have two Internet services here, one cable and one (dsl until a couple of months ago, now fiber).

        So that gives me load sharing between my computers, and if one of my Internet services is down (rare but not unheard of) it's a simple matter of changing the router gateway configuration to use the other.

        Comment

        • Caleb Williams
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jun 2022
          • 149
          • Casper, Wyoming, USA

          #34
          Unfortunately I don't think DCDC's broadband solution will work that way. They do use some proprietary software on the server to process incoming streams that may not like having its WAN connection changed. I could see a future though where broadband becomes the main interface, and then they still utilize the satellite downlink as backup, or for live events.

          Oh the joys of living in the rural west

          Comment

          Working...