What do these codes mean

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Martin McCaffery
    Expert Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 575
    • Montgomery, Alabama

    #1

    What do these codes mean

    Got keys this morning for The Grinch (2018). Parts of the title code I haven't noticed before on other titles:
    TheGrinch_FTR-45-2D_S_EN-XX-CCAP_US-PG-CA_51-HI-VI-DBOX_2K_UP_20181010_DTB_IOP_OV
    ​
    TheGrinch_FTR-70-2D-2018_S_EN-EN-OPNCAP_US-PG-CA_51-HI-VI-DBOX_2K_UP_20220722_DLX_SMPTE_VF

    What is FTR-45 and FTR-70? The person on the phone for Deluxe had no clue.
    As the only sent us the FTR-70 version, I want to make sure we are able to show it properly.​
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #2
    It is supposed to be the revision number. As in, they've messed with this title 70 times for one reason or another.

    image.png​

    image.png​

    Comment

    • Martin McCaffery
      Expert Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 575
      • Montgomery, Alabama

      #3
      Deluxe has replied: "As per the studio, FTR 70 is a SMPTE and FTR-45 is IOP for the title The Grinch. Please let us know if you need anything else."

      And, indeed they are labelled as IOP and SMPTE, but I don't think that's what the 70 and 45 are supposed to mean

      Comment

      • Jim Cassedy
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1450
        • San Francisco

        #4
        I've never seen the "FTR" field used to designate SMPTE or IOP. As Steve sez, it's usually
        just a version number. When I used to do a lot of pre-release press or industry screenings,
        I'd often have one or more revisions of a movie. Occasionally, The Studio would dictate which
        version the studio wanted a particular group to see. Another thing I noticed is that when a new
        version was sent, sometimes I'd have to re-ingest the entire feature, but other times, I'd stick
        the drive into the cru, and the transfer took only a minute or two. I'm guessing that on those
        occasions only the 'changed' parts of the DCP were ingested and so it only had to do a
        partial re-ingest and make the necessary changes to the metadata PKL, CPL, etc.

        Comment

        • Caleb Williams
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jun 2022
          • 149
          • Casper, Wyoming, USA

          #5
          Originally posted by Steve Guttag
          It is supposed to be the revision number. As in, they've messed with this title 70 times for one reason or another.

          image.png​

          image.png​
          Periods are not normally allowed in the DCP title either. I would take "70" to mean revision 7.0, which is still a lot of revisions. Wonder what they changed

          Comment

          • Harold Hallikainen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1072
            • Tucson AZ

            #6
            Originally posted by Caleb Williams

            \Wonder what they changed
            They changed the revision number!

            Comment

            • Steve Guttag
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3777
              • Annapolis, MD

              #7
              Originally posted by Caleb Williams

              Periods are not normally allowed in the DCP title either. I would take "70" to mean revision 7.0, which is still a lot of revisions. Wonder what they changed
              You didn't think that one out. Soooooo, using your theory, the IOP version was 4.5?

              With all of the versions of Avatar, it might need to go to 3 digits, depending on what they consider a "revision." In my opinion, a version number should be for all else being the same (still 2D, still 5.1...etc.) but some form of the content was changed (Added, removed) to denote that this is the later version...particularly when it and a prior version was mastered on the same day...so the only change in the title is the version number.

              Comment

              • Caleb Williams
                Pro Film Handler
                • Jun 2022
                • 149
                • Casper, Wyoming, USA

                #8
                Originally posted by Steve Guttag

                You didn't think that one out. Soooooo, using your theory, the IOP version was 4.5?

                With all of the versions of Avatar, it might need to go to 3 digits, depending on what they consider a "revision." In my opinion, a version number should be for all else being the same (still 2D, still 5.1...etc.) but some form of the content was changed (Added, removed) to denote that this is the later version...particularly when it and a prior version was mastered on the same day...so the only change in the title is the version number.
                I made that assumption based on DCI spec, and also the assumption that by the time a feature gets to the DCP wrapping stage most revisions (censor or region-specific edits) should be completed, with only a subset of those turned into a full DCP. Wouldn't it be really inefficient to create 10's of DCP's for any feature that is not Avatar? I thought DCP wrapping was still very computationally expensive. Have there been changes to the intermediate formats that allow the wrapping stage to not be so costly?

                Comment

                • Carsten Kurz
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1481
                  • Germany

                  #9
                  I would like OV/VF relations being coded by identical version numbers. Might not be so important for the US, but, over here, it is sometime very tricky to find the right OV for a VF CPL you are trying to ingest. Sometimes we get packages with 3OVs for the same movie (not even counting 3D).

                  Yes, some servers collect all assets for VFs automatically from the storage, but not all.

                  Comment

                  • Steve Guttag
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3777
                    • Annapolis, MD

                    #10
                    I couldn't tell you and, apparently, neither can Deluxe. Then again, since you brought up ratings. Their rating isn't to standard. There are only supposed to be two items of information...territory and rating with up to 3 characters each:

                    image.png​

                    I don't know which is worse, the miniature bread or the use of two countries utilizing the same rating (US-PG-CA...I'm guessing means both the USA and Canada are using PG for this one)..."it's a complete catastrophe."

                    Comment

                    • Steve Guttag
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 3777
                      • Annapolis, MD

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Carsten Kurz
                      I would like OV/VF relations being coded by identical version numbers. Might not be so important for the US, but, over here, it is sometime very tricky to find the right OV for a VF CPL you are trying to ingest. Sometimes we get packages with 3OVs for the same movie (not even counting 3D).

                      Yes, some servers collect all assets for VFs automatically from the storage, but not all.
                      Yeah...the whole OV thing seems inconsistent. I've seen OCAP versions get the OV and some are just VFs. But, in general, I would agree that so long as the picture remains the same amongst the versions, that the VF and OV match on the revision.

                      Comment

                      Working...