Outboard power for IMB

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Phil Ranucci
    Film Handler
    • Mar 2020
    • 70
    • Carpinteria, CA

    #1

    Outboard power for IMB

    Have a number of Barco machines that have been removed from service. We are keeping them powered to maintain the GDC IMBs that are installed. Any way to power the IMB outside the projector to save fan and electricity usage? Didn't USL make a unit to keep LD boards charged?
  • Caleb Williams
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jun 2022
    • 149
    • Casper, Wyoming, USA

    #2
    Dolby sells a docking station for their IMS servers that works with the SR-1000 Linup. Its worked in a pinch for us, especially for changing extra-dead batteries on the GDC servers. The docking station is powered by 12 volts, you should be able to find a power supply that can provide that from whatever mains voltage is in your region.

    Comment

    • Steve Guttag
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3777
      • Annapolis, MD

      #3
      USL did make a little board to power an IMB but it had a very low production and, of course, USL is no more. It was called the EP-100:

      image.png​

      We use the Docker by Dolby, mostly. Another nice thing about the Docker is I can pre-configure and pre-load a server before heading into the field so I minimize configuration time while on site.

      Comment

      • Caleb Williams
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jun 2022
        • 149
        • Casper, Wyoming, USA

        #4
        Another pro of the Dolby dock is it will cool and completely protect the IMB in the dock while it is powered. I wouldn't want to leave an IMS powered without active cooling because it does generate some heat. Not sure about heat generation of the GDC variants, as those were only externally powered for a short time.

        The Dolby part number is CAT1743 and is listed for $540 as of October 1, 2025.

        Comment

        • Shibu Paul
          Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 82
          • India

          #5
          I am watching a Taiwan video where a GDC SR1000 system is running using a standard PC SMPS (power supply).​
          Last edited by Shibu Paul; 01-22-2026, 04:58 AM.

          Comment

          • Ryan Gallagher
            Film God
            • Nov 2022
            • 2855
            • Austin, Texas, USA

            #6
            An edge connector to breakout board could be used, basically a dumb version of that GDC tool. If you knew the voltage rail pin out I’m sure you could power it with a external supply.., but I like the Dolby solution for “storage” due to integrated cooling. I guess it all depends on will and budget.

            Comment

            • Marcel Birgelen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3619
              • Maastricht, NL

              #7
              Imagine whoever owns the IP nowadays (QSC?) to the schematics of this EP-100 tool. You could probably just order a couple of copies of it on services like PCBWay for under $100.

              Comment

              • Caleb Williams
                Pro Film Handler
                • Jun 2022
                • 149
                • Casper, Wyoming, USA

                #8
                PCBWay is awesome, but I don't think it's a good idea to risk an $8,000 server on a custom PCB with an untested/unfused power supply. At that point, just make a plan to rotate servers through a single projector to maintain them.

                Another note, or rather question; the SR1000's we received second-hand had security module batteries that were not rechargeable. Is that normal for GDC IMB's? If the servers you want to maintain do not have a rechargeable battery, then anything but constant operation isn't really saving you that much on battery drain, and theoretically you're just as well-off to leave them on the shelf until closer to the expected battery replacement date. (Of course power them on periodically still to check battery voltages, but not as often).

                Comment

                • Caleb Williams
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Jun 2022
                  • 149
                  • Casper, Wyoming, USA

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Shibu Paul
                  I am watching a Taiwan video where a GDC SR1000 system is running using a standard PC SMPS (power supply).​
                  Do you have a link to this by chance? I am curious...

                  Comment

                  • Shibu Paul
                    Film Handler
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 82
                    • India

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Caleb Williams

                    Do you have a link to this by chance? I am curious...
                    link massaged.

                    Comment

                    • Marcel Birgelen
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 3619
                      • Maastricht, NL

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Caleb Williams
                      PCBWay is awesome, but I don't think it's a good idea to risk an $8,000 server on a custom PCB with an untested/unfused power supply. At that point, just make a plan to rotate servers through a single projector to maintain them.
                      But you would trust a solution from some random guy on the Internet running it on some random ATX PSU recycled from some random PC? :P

                      If I'd the schematics from USL and I would understand what's happening here, I'd be 300 times more confident in that solution. Also, the USL adapter isn't a power supply, but rather a PSU adapter.

                      Comment

                      • Caleb Williams
                        Pro Film Handler
                        • Jun 2022
                        • 149
                        • Casper, Wyoming, USA

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen

                        But you would trust a solution from some random guy on the Internet running it on some random ATX PSU recycled from some random PC? :P

                        If I'd the schematics from USL and I would understand what's happening here, I'd be 300 times more confident in that solution. Also, the USL adapter isn't a power supply, but rather a PSU adapter.
                        Aside from the sketchy PSU, it does look like the molex connector could be better suited for powering multiple servers on a bench. I'd bet that's how they power them for Q&A at the factory.

                        It all comes down to the level of risk you're willing to assume to save money on power/fan hours. From the least risky to the most I'd say your options are the following:

                        1. Leave servers in the projectors and power up occasionally (Safest)
                        2. Remove servers from all projectors then use one projector to power servers in sequence so all the hours only get put on one projector. Or use a certified dock to accomplish the same
                        3. Buy a certified PC power supply, and use the molex connectors to power the servers
                        4. Design adapters from PCBWay to power the servers via PCI connector (Least Safe)

                        I understand the allure of building/buying your own PCB to use an adapter, but you'd better be damned confident that the schematics you sent were correct, AND that PCBWay followed them perfectly to manufacture the board for you. A crossed or shorted trace could mean the loss of a server, and that's not a risk I'd be willing to take on a fleet.

                        Again, I'd like to note that our GDC servers came with batteries that were not rechargeable. Leaving the servers powered on had no effect on battery life.

                        Comment

                        • Ioannis Syrogiannis
                          Pro Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 286
                          • Reykjavík, Iceland

                          #13
                          What molex connectors would those be on the IMS?
                          Would one power on another position, like those transition HDDs that had IDE- and SATA-like power inputs?

                          Comment

                          • Caleb Williams
                            Pro Film Handler
                            • Jun 2022
                            • 149
                            • Casper, Wyoming, USA

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ioannis Syrogiannis
                            What molex connectors would those be on the IMS?
                            Would one power on another position, like those transition HDDs that had IDE- and SATA-like power inputs?
                            The Dolby IMS servers do not have a molex connector on them, only the GDC's, and I'm not sure what all models do. The SR1000's and SX4000's we have on the shelf both do. I just ran a test with an SX4000 that's lost it's identity, and it fully booted running off of the power supply in a re-purposed DSS200, images are attached. For Dolby servers your best option is still the dock, or a projector.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment

                            • Ioannis Syrogiannis
                              Pro Film Handler
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 286
                              • Reykjavík, Iceland

                              #15
                              And -it might be only my impression- did you have to brake the male, for the female to fit?
                              (The whole story reminded me of a consumer media player ("tank") I had more than a decade ago, almost two. A so called egreat eg-m31b, clone of Popcorn Hour. I had on it an HDD with power connectors for SATA and IDE/molex. I found out that once I was to connect power to IDE and it was connected through SATA, the media player would power up. As long as electrons move around, who cares where they come from? On the other hand, this molex connector doesn't seem to be randomly put there...)

                              Comment

                              Working...