Folks,
We had one of our lovely, held over from the Hotys era, Ashly FTX-2001 amps kick out in one of our medium houses last week. It took the center channel with it, and I was out of out town so I hit the C->LR bypass switch and came in to investigate what happened as soon as I could.
I ended up rewiring the output from our GDC AIB-3000 into a different amp's spare channel to restore functionality of the center channel and set the gain of that channel in software back to what I considered a reasonable level so we could get theater back in mostly functioning order. I didn't change the EQ settings stored for the center channel for the AIB-3000, but I know that its good form to re-EQ the room and take precise measurements to ensure proper audio playback after equipment is changed.
So I guess my question is.....how do you learn the ways of manual audio calibration? I have very little to go on in terms of what equipment is needed, and how to use it. I suppose I could just call our tech to come out and do it, but he's typically a 6 hour drive away and pretty hard to get ahold of in short order. I'd much rather start learning the skill myself, as we have something like 50 or so of these Ashly amps that are aged quite a bit. It would be a pain to have to call out our tech every single time one eventually gave up, as I do have some spare amps on hand to work with from our install.
If this is too broad a question, I understand. It does seem rather inaccessible from where I am skill-wise though.
We had one of our lovely, held over from the Hotys era, Ashly FTX-2001 amps kick out in one of our medium houses last week. It took the center channel with it, and I was out of out town so I hit the C->LR bypass switch and came in to investigate what happened as soon as I could.
I ended up rewiring the output from our GDC AIB-3000 into a different amp's spare channel to restore functionality of the center channel and set the gain of that channel in software back to what I considered a reasonable level so we could get theater back in mostly functioning order. I didn't change the EQ settings stored for the center channel for the AIB-3000, but I know that its good form to re-EQ the room and take precise measurements to ensure proper audio playback after equipment is changed.
So I guess my question is.....how do you learn the ways of manual audio calibration? I have very little to go on in terms of what equipment is needed, and how to use it. I suppose I could just call our tech to come out and do it, but he's typically a 6 hour drive away and pretty hard to get ahold of in short order. I'd much rather start learning the skill myself, as we have something like 50 or so of these Ashly amps that are aged quite a bit. It would be a pain to have to call out our tech every single time one eventually gave up, as I do have some spare amps on hand to work with from our install.
If this is too broad a question, I understand. It does seem rather inaccessible from where I am skill-wise though.
Comment