When I saw this was in 2:1, I was happy because our screen is 15x30, and we mask it from the bottom for Scope movies. But this show is really a "flat" shaped picture with a tiny scope picture sometimes. Nobody has said anything about the floating scope picture yet...I don't know if it's because they aren't paying attention, or they know we're showing it at the ideal setting because that's what they're used to here. Probably some of both.
"Project Hail Mary" - DCP Aspect Ratio
Collapse
X
-
-
This aspect ratio thing is just stupid, I have no other words for it. It's clear how they ended up here, but to me this shows a lack of dedication. It doesn't make sense, this movie wasn't even shot on IMAX film, but digitally on Arri Alexa cameras...
Someone who has seen it in Hacienda Crossings / Dublin in 15/70 (a waste of film if you ask me, as the source is digital) confirms that the "space scenes" are in 1.43, but the "Earth" scenes are in scope. Those 1.43 scenes ended up as 2.0 in a FLAT container. In many cinemas, it thus ended up as a pillar-boxed experience, not just for the "past" scenes, but also for the "now" scenes. Great work!
Comment
-
That's us. We've always had a pillar-boxed Flat picture. So, the "space" scenes are pillar-boxed and the "earth" scenes are floating....in space! Dumb dumb dumb.Comment
-
Where I saw it was a common height screen and I agree it was dumb. As I said in my review, the aspect ratio switches were completely unnecessary. It was very easy to figure out which scene was where. Unless it's something shot partially on 15/70 IMAX and partially in another format there should only be one aspect ratio. Even in that case, the change should only be to fill the entire height of a true IMAX screen.Comment
Comment